Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Confederate tin canteen stopper

Hi,

I'm purchasing a tin Confederate canteen that does not come with a stopper. I'm trying to determine the best way to go with getting a stopper. I've searched EOG as well as this and the other forum as well as the internet. I don't have access to O'Donnell's canteen book. I've noticed that most Confederate canteens either use the Federal type stopper usually replacing the chain with string or have a carved wooden plug. I think the Federal type are mainly replacement stoppers. A sutler mentioned simply drilling a hold through a cork and running a string through it and knotting it. Sounds simple and practical but I can't find any evidence that this was done.
    Thoughts or suggestions? Sorry for being so long winded!

Thanks,
    Brett Bondurant
    Brett Bondurant
    Cape Fear Living History Society

Re: Confederate tin canteen stopper

Find a cedar tree. Shouldn't be too hard to do in NC. Cut off a branch a little bigger than the ID of the spout. Whittle a stopper. Have one shown on this page. http://www.angelfire.com/ma4/j_mayo/cscanteen.html

Last stopper I did took about half an hour to complete and fit. Or you can just use a cork or US stopper. All are correct.
    Jim Mayo
    Portsmouth Rifles, Company G, 9th Va. Inf.

CW Show and Tell Site
    http://www.angelfire.com/ma4/j_mayo/index.html

Comment

Thanks!

Brett Bondurant
      Brett Bondurant
      Cape Fear Living History Society

Comment

Find a cedar tree. Shouldn't be too hard to do in NC. Cut off a branch a little bigger than the ID of the spout. Whittle a stopper. Have one shown on this page. http://www.angelfire.com/ma4/j_mayo/cscanteen.html
        Hey, this is awesome!

I just bought a repro canteen, and when I got it, the cork had a gash in the side of it, making me worry about it sealing.

We just lost 3 huge cedars here during the tornadoes, and I cut them up into firewood, so I have a HUGE pile of fresh cedar.

Guess I'll just replace my gouged cork with a cedar stopper! Thanks for saving me the shipping hassle!

Steve
        Steve Sheldon

Comment

I have a question about the double-spout canteen, supposedly so the soldier could drink out of one half while his horse the other.

Can a horse be taught to drink out of a canteen?

Steve
          Steve Sheldon

Comment

A hole through a cork will work, for a little while, until the cork starts breaking apart. I'd go with a piece of cedar whittled down to fit well into the spout, with a hole drilled at the top and a piece of twine or leather thong to tie it on. Had one in my canteen for around 7-8 years.
            Andy Redd
            Andy Redd

Comment

Working...
            X