Some new editions added to my links page

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some new editions added to my links page

I prefer using original sources to repops because I know I am reading the true text. Modern reprints of manuals are great in the field, but they take up valuable shelf space at home. Most electronic text versions have flaws or have gone offline. Over the years, I have been gathering a slew of manuals for various CW purposes on my links page at http://www.zipcon.net/~silas/links.htm . Until last night, my links page had been missing a scanned copy of a Goetzel edition of Vol. I, Hardee's Revised Tactics, for quite some time.

This was a glaring hole in my links page. Hardee's 1855 manual doesn't cut the mustard for the bulk of Confederate impressions because it is based upon use of the "two band" rifle and the sabre bayonet. The 1861 U.S. Tactics, a hard copy of which can be purchased from many modern book sellers for not much money, contains the 1855 rifle drill and the smoothbore drill. It lacks the improvements made in the revised tactics.

Gilham's is without doubt the best single volume of CW era, military instruction available, but the manual of arms is not entirely the same as Revised Hardee's. Additionally, the musket stack in Gilham is Scott's method for stacking and is the same source that Casey used. Hardee updated the musket stack by using the "swing" method attributed to Ellsworth.

Last night, I found two copies of Vol. I of Revised Hardee and have posted them at http://www.zipcon.net/~silas/links.htm#N_5_I I found a copy of the North Carolina version and posted it, too. If you're a Confederate reenactor, you need to spend in Revised Hardee's. Otherwise, you many be borrowing ideas from this manual and that manual.

I found a few more Confederate texts and added them, too. These include : a Confederate copy of Vol. III, Evolutions of the Line ; a Confederate version of LeGal's School of the Guides which ought to be required reading for every nco and officer ; Joseph Wheeler's Revised System of Cavalry Tactics for the Use of the Cavalry and Mounted Infantry ; Dabney Maury's Skirmish Drill for Mounted Troops ; and Richard Snowden Andrews' Mounted Artillery Drill.

I've heard about a Texas version of Gilham's and finally saw it. I didn't link it as it is pretty much a cut down version of Gilham's schools of the soldier and company. The rest of the information from Gilham was removed. It was interesting enought to discover, but not interesting enought to link.

If you haven't been to my links page in a while or if your unit still has links to one of the html versions, you might consider stopping my online library and viewing a scanned copy of an original manual. If you're looking for something, I've probably got it linked.
    Silas Tackitt,
    one of the moderators.

Click here for a link to forum rules - or don't at your own peril.

Re: Some new editions added to my links page

Thanks, Silas.

-Tristan
    Tristan Galloway

Comment

Mark

Thanks for posting the scanned copy of the Goetzel. Your website is a good benefit and a great resource.

I would like to offer some comments - or rather opinions. I agree that the Goetzels should be the goto book for Confederates. Gilhams offers a lot of information in one place - but the infantry section is mainly a copy of Hardee's - albeit with the second manual of arms (from Scotts) thrown in. Hardee's was written for a two band rifle. Yet Hardee was the instructor at West Point in the late 1850 and if I am not mistaken he was teaching his drill to the cadets who were not armed with two band rifles. Interesting Also when I reread Mansfield's reports on his inspection trip of the Army in Texas in 1860 and 1861 he talks of inspecting the troops in reference to the light infantry tactics. This was with units armed with 1855 rifle muskets - three banders. I am wondering if the distinction was that new new drill was used with the new rifled weapons.

Lee's Volunteer's handbook - printed in Richmond and widely avaliable during the early part of the war has a mixture of Hardee's manouvering with the older manual for the three band musket.

Also note the revisions Hardee made in 1861 with the Goetzel edition. His note says that revisions were made to reflect the types of arms in the hands of the Confederate soldier. He changed the stacking - and the postion of the butt on the ground at loading and fixing the bayonet and some other minor changes. Seems to suggest that there was not much difference between two band rifles and three band rifle muskets from a manual of arms standpoint. Hardee when he released his manual in 1855 did not copywrite it so he did not make a dime on the publication. Yet withn the new revised tactics he copywrited it and advertized it as the only authorised version.

One aspect of our hobby/ advocation is that we love drawing hard lines in the sand with hard rules. We almost have to - when we attempt to recreate another time period. Yet we do not know if they drew those same lines. I am always intrigued when I see a period photograph of a Federal Arms stack done by the swing method. All the published Federal manuals save the Ellsworth use the old stacking method.

Yet we seem to made a line in the sand distinction between two band and three band weapons. Sometime I wonder.

Anyway your thoughts may vary.
      George Susat
      Confederate Guard

Comment

Originally posted by gsusat View Post
        One aspect of our hobby/ advocation is that we love drawing hard lines in the sand with hard rules. We almost have to - when we attempt to recreate another time period. Yet we do not know if they drew those same lines. I am always intrigued when I see a period photograph of a Federal Arms stack done by the swing method. All the published Federal manuals save the Ellsworth use the old stacking method.

Yet we seem to made a line in the sand distinction between two band and three band weapons. Sometime I wonder.

Anyway your thoughts may vary.
        Just a quibble with one of your statements, while supporting your general point -- Morris's tactics, which supposedly reflected his experiences in the field, include the swing (pp. 77-78) and, for rifles, using the rammers (pp. 134-135):
        http://books.google.com/books?id=HWs...=stack&f=false
        Michael A. Schaffner

Comment

" I am always intrigued when I see a period photograph of a Federal Arms stack done by the swing method. "

I haven't seen near enough photos to draw a definite conclusion but in those I've seen Federals are at least 90% of the time using Ellsworth/Hardee 61
          John Duffer
          Independence Mess
          MOOCOWS
          WIG
          "There lies $1000 and a cow."

Comment

Mr. Shaffner

Casey also has stacks for both the rifle and the rifle musket (though he uses Scott's musket stack rather than the swing).
            John Duffer
            Independence Mess
            MOOCOWS
            WIG
            "There lies $1000 and a cow."

Comment

Silas, Thank you so much for sharing this! You have spent some serious time compiling all this for us. It's greatly appreciated. Thank you!
              [FONT="Georgia"][SIZE="5"]Eric Davis
              Handsome Company Mess
              Liberty Hall Drum Corps [/SIZE][/FONT]

Comment

Personally, I love this page and use it all the time! Thanks Mr. Silas!
                Taylor Kessen

5th Ohio Light Artillery Battery and 29th OVI

Then We shall give them the bayonet!- Jackson

Comment

Silas,

I love your links page. It is a great referance library!!! I have a link to add to your music section for those of us that do field music: Howe's Manual for Fife and Drum from the National CW Music School's website.

Enjoy.
                  Brad Ireland
                  Old Line Mess
                  4th VA CO. A
                  SWB

Comment

Thanks for the update Silas. What an awesome resource. It is great to see that Wheeler's cavalry manual is online. I've been wanting to see it more widely available for some time now and hadn't had time to digitize it myself.
                    Troy Groves "AZReenactor"
                    1st California Infantry Volunteers, Co. C

So, you think that scrap in the East is rough, do you?
                    Ever consider what it means to be captured by Apaches?

Comment

Originally posted by cprljohnivey
                      I have a link to add to your music section for those of us that do field music: Howe's Manual for Fife and Drum from the National CW Music School's website.

Enjoy.
                      It's added. That's another area which could use some TLC on my links page. If you have other online music books to suggest, I'm game. Not being a fifer or drummer, I don't know what is good and what isn't.

The reason for the update on the page is that I have been working on an html version of Vol. I : Hardee's Revised. I posted it last night. I'm still working on the internal hyperlinks so you can skip from one section to another quickly. That's going to be a week or so to finish. However, the text is available for viewing. I had been in search of a true copy of Hardee's Revised because I wanted my formatting to conform to his original. Found it and then some.
                      Last edited by Silas; 05-25-2011, 08:37 AM. Reason: Added a final paragraph.
                      Silas Tackitt,
                      one of the moderators.

Comment

The only other Fife/Drum book that is available online that I know of is Bruce and Emmett's http://fifedrum.org/resources/music/be/01.shtml Perhaps some sort of disclaimer should accompany this link if you choose to add it. This is played allot by Fife and Drum corps but there is much debate on how available this book was during the war and although many copies site 1861, was not widely printed until late in the war or after.

Perhaps Will Chappel will chime in here at some point with some other links he may know.
                        Brad Ireland
                        Old Line Mess
                        4th VA CO. A
                        SWB

Comment

Army Regulations for Drum, Fife, and Bugle. (1864)

Col. H.C. Hart's New and Improved Instructor for the Drum (1862)

Chronological List of Fife and Drum Sources

Will Chappell

Comment

Have you ever come across a book titled Guerilla Practice? In the letter book of the U.S. Mustering and Disbursing Officer at Rochester, NY (NARA New York City Branch, Record Group 110, Entry 2067) there is a copy of an 1863 inventory of manuals and other books in his office, including several copies of this one. There is no description of the book given and I can't find it on Google Books, Internet Archive or Worldcat.
                            Will Hickox

"When there is no officer with us, we take no prisoners." Private John Brobst, 25th Wisconsin Infantry, May 20, 1864.

Comment

Never heard of it.
                              Silas Tackitt,
                              one of the moderators.

Comment

Working...
                              X