CSA Buttons

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CSA Buttons

I have a gray jacket with all ' C.S.A.' buttons on it. Now, being new to authentic reenacting in general, it isn't an incredibly authentic jacket to begin with. However, most I see (for infantry anyways) have the 'I' stamped on them. Generically (excluding state buttons, federal buttons, etc.) would the brass stamped 'I' buttons be the most authentic for a rebel jacket?
    If it differs greatly, I'm in NY, so I would be looking at the ANV for a model.
    Jory Maloney

Re: CSA Buttons

In short, Yes, Block I buttons are more common, along with federal Eagle buttons. Most of my uniforms have federal eagle buttons. My understanding of the CSA buttons are that they were produced late war, and in few numbers. Im sure someone has a ton more research than I do on them though.
    [B][I]Mike Dougherty[/I][/B]
    Princess Anne Grays/ Lee's Sharpshooters
    [URL="http://princessannegrays.weebly.com"]http://princessannegrays.weebly.com[/URL]
    [URL="http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/group.php?gid=188825421123"]The Princess Anne Greys/ Lee's Sharpshooters on Facebook[/URL]

Comment

Jory, I'd recommend that you purchase and read (Johnny Reb The uniform of the Confederate Army 1861-1865) by Les Jensen and (Cadet Grey and Butternut Brown, Notes on Confederate Uniforms) by Thomas Arliskas. These two works will teach you pretty much everything you need to develop a great impression. As far as your jacket goes, I'd sell it on eBay for what you can get for it and get a new Type II Richmond Depot from one of the approved vendors to start. The Type II is the most versatile jacket for anyone doing an ANV impression. The Button question, I'd avoid CSA buttons period! They were very rare, even when the army was getting garments issued with them very late in the war. The best button for a generic Confederate impression is the Federal general service button.
      [FONT="Georgia"][SIZE="5"]Eric Davis
      Handsome Company Mess
      Liberty Hall Drum Corps [/SIZE][/FONT]

Comment

The Matthew's diary of the 33rd Alabama includes the following 1862 quote.
        "Arriving at Knoxville about October 24, we had flour, corn meal, bacon, fresh beef, rice, salt, and the first soap we had drawn in two months, and a suit of clothes each, wollen gray jeans, jacket lined with white cotton sheeting, with four C.S.A. brass buttons, a pair of unlined gray jeans pants, white cotton sheeting shirts and drawers and white cotton machine-knit sleasy socks and pair of rough tan brogan hand made wooden pegged hard shoes. Some drew gray hats and those present drew some money."
        While I am certainly not suggesting we all wear CSA buttons, it would appear some were worn and in the earlier part of the war. I have heard from relic hunters that a number of stamped brass CSA buttons have come from the 1862 CS camps in upper East Tennessee, but am not myself a relic hunter.
        Pat Brown

Comment

Also, by late '62 large quantities of English gear were making it through the blockaide, so "script I" buttons were pretty common. You might also consider what unit you want to portray, as some of Longstreet's men had AoT buttons with them when the made it back to Lee in the late Fall of '63. Those buttons were solid cast brass. Then you have the two peice stamped buttons, peweter, and wooden, just to name a few. I've always been partial to Federal eagle buttons, especially for pre 1863.

Just my 2 cents,
          Garrett Glover
          Garrett Glover

Comment

[QUOTE=brown;203563]The Matthew's diary of the 33rd Alabama includes the following 1862 quote.
            "Arriving at Knoxville about October 24, we had flour...a suit of clothes each, wollen gray jeans, jacket lined with white cotton sheeting, with four C.S.A. brass buttons,...

I wonder if that is another instance of the fabled 4 button jacket being issued, or if it was some kind of sack coat.

Regards,
            Garrett Glover
            Garrett Glover

Comment

I have seen CSA buttons found in 62, 63 and 64/65 sites. However in very, very small numbers. They were not common but were used. Some were two piece local mfg., 2 piece imported and there have even been some cast brass CSA buttons found. If you want to wear something that was common stick to the plain eagle or block I buttons.
              Jim Mayo

Portsmouth Rifles, 9th Va. Inf.
              http://www.angelfire.com/ma4/j_mayo/9va/rifles1.html

CW show & tell.
              http://www.angelfire.com/ma4/j_mayo/index.html

Comment

I know this isn't answering the button question directly, but the Jensen and Arliskas books are top-notch publications.

-Bill Bosworth

1st MD Artillery
                Plug Uglies
                -Bill Bosworth

"The Other" Dirty Billy
                The Plug Uglies

Comment

The Reports of Cases In Prize argued & determined in the circuit and district courts of the United States 1861-1865 by Samuel Blatchford, “One important circumstance, to show that the cargo of the Stephen Hart was intended for the enemy, is the fact that a part of it consisted of ninety thousand buttons, marked with the initials, " C. S. A.," which it is well understood stand for the words "Confederate States of America," or " Confederate States Army," the buttons being such as are used on army clothing for the three services of an army.” The Stephen Hart was captured on Jan. 29, 1862, off the southern cost of Florida, 25 miles off of Key West. According to C.L. Webster, III in Entrepot, the vessel was owned by S. Isaac & Campbell, who filled affidavits with the courts in an unsuccessful attempt to get the vessel and her cargo back. The Stephen Hart was pressed into service when it was found that the Gladiator would not hold all of the cargo intended for her at London. The Stephen Hart was then berthed at Erith where she received was is believed to be cases of ammunition.
                  The May jacket has 11 “CSA” buttons all backmarked “S. Buckley & Co” “Birmingham”, which have been thought to be post-war. I pulled out my copy of American Military Button Makers and Dealers; Their Backmarks & Dates by W.F. McGuinn and B.S. Hazelon. In which it states “S. Buckley & Co. Birmingham, English firm c. 1860. This firm sold buttons to the Confederacy, 1861-1865. On CS-1A; CS-81A. Samuel Buckley & Co. was not listed through 1856 but in 1860 the firm was listed as merchants at 44-45 Newhall Hill. Buckley apparently did not make buttons.”
                  A quick Google search shows an several relic and antique dealers selling “CSA” buttons with a variety of backmarks such as “Treble Rich/Standard" or “Superior Quality” in addition to the S. Buckley buttons. I also found a report on the Battle at Monroe’s Crossroads (March of ’65) by D.D. Scott and W. J. Hunt, Jr. which reports that “CSA” buttons where dug at the site (http://www.nps.gov/seac/mc-archweb/ch6/index.htm)
                  Rich Taddeo
                  Shocker Mess
                  "Don't do it, you're going to get hurt." Jerry Stiles @ Sky Meadows moments before I fell and broke my leg.

Comment

Thanks for the info so quick folks! Does anyone personally have any recommendations on a sutler to get a Type II Jacket from?
                    Jory Maloney

Comment

Jory,
                      I would say that any of the approved vendors would suffice quite nicely. If you have access to someone who will sew for you, you might want to consider a kit from Wambaugh & White?

HTH! YMMV!
                      Warren Dickinson

Currently a History Hippy at South Union Shaker Village
                      Member of the original Pickett's Mill Interpretive Volunteer Staff & Co. D, 17th Ky Vol. Inf
                      Former Mudsill
                      Co-Creator of the States Rights Guard in '92

Comment

Wambaugh & White or Joe Blunt of Carter & Jasper both do outstanding work and both have very reasonable turnaround times.
                        [FONT="Georgia"][SIZE="5"]Eric Davis
                        Handsome Company Mess
                        Liberty Hall Drum Corps [/SIZE][/FONT]

Comment

W & W Co. or Fenny at Richmond Depot do very nice work. There are others also.
                          Tom "Mingo" Machingo
                          Independent Rifles, Weevil's Mess

Vixi Et Didici

"I think and highly hope that this war will end this year, and Oh then what a happy time we will have. No need of writing then but we can talk and talk again, and my boy can talk to me and I will never tire of listening to him and he will want to go with me everywhere I go, and I will be certain to let him go if there is any possible chance."
                          Marion Hill Fitzpatrick
                          Company K, 45th Georgia Infantry
                          KIA Petersburg, Virginia

Comment

I have a G Bryon RD2 with fed eagle buttons, from wambaugh and white and I get tons of compliments on it! It is very well made and the material is top notch! I also am nearly done with a commutation jacket kit from wambaugh and its turning out very well and I am by no means, a master sewer. It's a steel gray jeans cloth that has some great coloring, and I've gotten wooden and federal eagle buttons for it to vary my impression a bit. If you do order the kit just be careful to keep the beeswax out of reach of any dogs you have, mine has consumed my supply twice now! I've had to resort to a beeswax candle from S&S, that I have to wax my thread so I can finish the project.
                            Respectfully Submitted,
                            Tony Manson
                            33rd VA, Co. E
                            4th VA, Co. A
                            SWB

Comment

Working...
                            X