Hat Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hat Help

I remember reading through somthing on here last year in regards to reshaping a hat using steam and a certain type of water. I did a search and went through the different help articles but could not find it. If anyone knows where it is located, or knows the method I am trying to describe I would appreciate the help. For what it's worth this is for an attempt at un-telescoping my hardee and prepping it for the paddlewheel event next April.

If anyone that has experience with this believes I would be better off getting a new hardee I would appreciate the input. I want to avoid the expense if possible but if it is unavoidable then I will go that route.
    Jake Koch
    The Debonair Society of Coffee Coolers, Brewers, and Debaters
    https://coffeecoolersmess.weebly.com/

-Pvt. Max Doermann, 3x Great Uncle, Co. E, 66th New York Infantry. Died at Andersonville, Dec. 22, 1864.
    -Pvt. David Rousch, 4x Great Uncle, Co. A, 107th Ohio Infantry. Wounded and Captured at Gettysburg. Died at Andersonville, June 5, 1864.
    -Pvt. Carl Sievert, 3x Great Uncle, Co. H, 7th New York Infantry (Steuben Guard). Mortally Wounded at Malvern Hill.

Re: Hat Help

Jake,

A good teakettle with a spout to focus the steam. This will relax the wool somewhat so you can reshape and reblock.

No special water is necessary, unless your water is hard and you don't want your teakettle to get all scaly inside. Then use Distilled Water. Buy it in the grocery in gallon jugs that look like milk jugs--read the fine pint or you'll end up buying yet another bottled drinking water drawn out of some city tap or another. If you have a dehumidifier running anywhere, use the water out of it--it has no minerals in it.
    Terre Hood Biederman
    Yassir, I used to be Mrs. Lawson. I still run period dyepots, knit stuff, and cause trouble.

sigpic
    Wearing Grossly Out of Fashion Clothing Since 1958.

ADVENTURE CALLS. Can you hear it? Come ON.

Comment

I have my old Don Rademacher Hardee, and while I could "untelescope" it, I don't know how I would reblock it to the correct shape again.
      Warren Dickinson

Currently a History Hippy at South Union Shaker Village
      Member of the original Pickett's Mill Interpretive Volunteer Staff & Co. D, 17th Ky Vol. Inf
      Former Mudsill
      Co-Creator of the States Rights Guard in '92

Comment

Thanks for the help!
        Jake Koch

-Pvt. Max Doermann, 3x Great Uncle, Co. E, 66th New York Infantry. Died at Andersonville, Dec. 22, 1864.
        -Pvt. David Rousch, 4x Great Uncle, Co. A, 107th Ohio Infantry. Wounded and Captured at Gettysburg. Died at Andersonville, June 5, 1864.
        -Pvt. Carl Sievert, 3x Great Uncle, Co. H, 7th New York Infantry (Steuben Guard). Mortally Wounded at Malvern Hill.

Comment

Hi Jake!

Tim Bender has a web page on how to steam a hat here:

Steve
          Steve Sheldon

Comment

Hallo!

Shaping or forming a hat is far, far "easier" than trying to reblock an already shaped hat when one does not have a hat block.

A picture is worth a thousand words, and a video maybe two thousand. Although not a dress hat (aka Hardee), this will give you a rough idea of how the hat is steamed over a form or "block" to desired shape.

Auf YouTube findest du die angesagtesten Videos und Tracks. Außerdem kannst du eigene Inhalte hochladen und mit Freunden oder gleich der ganzen Welt teilen.

In brief and to over-generalize..

Without a "Hardee' type block you are going to have a hard time.

It might be worth a call, and the expense (maybe), in calling a Hardee hat maker to see if they could be hired to reblock your hat- for a service charge. The worst that will happen is that they laugh and hang up on you.

:) :)

As a last ditch effort, maybe, you may find a small kid's sand box or beach bucket, gardening bucket , tub type container, or "bleach type" bottle, that is of the same diameter and shape as a dress hat to use as an ersatz block.

Curt
            Last edited by Curt Schmidt; 06-15-2011, 10:21 AM.
            Curt Schmidt
            In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
            -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
            -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
            -Vastly Ignorant
            -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

Curt, danke sehr! I was really having a hard time visualizing how I was going to do that without a block.
              Warren Dickinson

Currently a History Hippy at South Union Shaker Village
              Member of the original Pickett's Mill Interpretive Volunteer Staff & Co. D, 17th Ky Vol. Inf
              Former Mudsill
              Co-Creator of the States Rights Guard in '92

Comment

Thanks for turning me onto those videos, Curt - I never knew how hats were made. Cool stuff!

Steve
                Steve Sheldon

Comment

I didn't even think about the block. I guess you can never say enough about the expertise on this forum. I guess I will go the route of picking up a new Hardee from Mr. Bender. I wasn't keen on reworking my old one anyway as I have finally gotten it "perfect" after a few years.
                  Jake Koch

Comment

Working...
                  X