Re-blocking a Hardee

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re-blocking a Hardee

I've still got my old Hardee hat that I bought from Rademacher years ago. Now, if all goes as planned, I'll make the Shiloh Paddle-Wheeler Adjunct event. Under my present cirucumstances, I'd really rather not spend $110 on a hat which, in a sense, I already have.
    Do any of y'all think there is any way to successfully "re-block" this hat to look new? I've got a correct spare label to reglue back in the crown, so that really isn't an issue.

Thanks in advance for your advice.
    Warren Dickinson

Currently a History Hippy at South Union Shaker Village
    Member of the original Pickett's Mill Interpretive Volunteer Staff & Co. D, 17th Ky Vol. Inf
    Former Mudsill
    Co-Creator of the States Rights Guard in '92

Re: Re-blocking a Hardee

Yes. It can be restored pretty well, if it's not totally trashed. You need a pot of hot water. Hold the hat over the steam until it's limp and pliable, then shape it as desired. Leave it to dry. Water deactivates the stiffening in the hat and drying restores it. An easier way is to use an everyday steam iron and an ironing board. You can pretty much just steam iron the hat and it will shape back up. To get the crown, a dressmaker's ham is helpful. You can use a little starch as needed. I reblock my hardee all the time.
    Rob Weaver
    Co I, 7th Wisconsin, the "Pine River Boys"
    "We're... Christians, what read the Bible and foller what it says about lovin' your enemies and carin' for them what despitefully use you -- that is, after you've downed 'em good and hard."
    [I]Si Klegg[/I]

Comment

Originally posted by dixieflyer View Post
      Do any of y'all think there is any way to successfully "re-block" this hat to look new?
      Depends on whether the hat body felt is wool or fur. See: http://www.authentic-campaigner.com/...5048#post95048.
      [B][I]Edwin Carl Erwin[/I][/B]

descendent of:
      [B]Tobias Levin Hays[/B]
      16th Texas Infantry, Co. I, Walker's Texas Division
      22nd Brigade, "Mesquite Company", Texas Rangers
      &
      [B]J. W. Tally[/B]
      4th Texas Infantry, Hood's Texas Brigade[B][/B]

Comment

Well Edwin, I never gave it much thought, the hat being so thin and all. I'll look into it further, but I have to assume it is wool felt as I'm not sure Don had fur felt blanks available to use in the late 80's. Rob, thanks for the advice, I'll have to give it a shot, and look up "dressmaker's ham".
        Warren Dickinson

Member of the original Pickett's Mill Interpretive Volunteer Staff & Co. D, 17th Ky Vol. Inf
        Former Mudsill

Comment

Originally posted by dixieflyer View Post
          Well Edwin, I never gave it much thought, the hat being so thin and all. I'll look into it further, but I have to assume it is wool felt as I'm not sure Don had fur felt blanks available to use in the late 80's.
          Take your old Hardee to a good hat shop, Warren. The hatter should be able to quickly determine whether the hat body is wool or fur felt.
          [B][I]Edwin Carl Erwin[/I][/B]

descendent of:
          [B]Tobias Levin Hays[/B]
          16th Texas Infantry, Co. I, Walker's Texas Division
          22nd Brigade, "Mesquite Company", Texas Rangers
          &
          [B]J. W. Tally[/B]
          4th Texas Infantry, Hood's Texas Brigade[B][/B]

Comment

Thanks Edwin, but I live in a town of 1500 souls, and we're the county seat. The closest haberdashery, assuming it even exists anymore, would cost more in gas than a new Hardee.
            Warren Dickinson

Former Mudsill

Comment

Working...
            X