"Cleaning" or otherwise removing Mold from Groundcloth

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Cleaning" or otherwise removing Mold from Groundcloth

Mods, I thought this was the best place for this thread, but maybe the "sinks"?

Back story: Attended an event last month with our splendid company. Night and morning moisture made many things a muddy wet mess, including both of the ground cloths I carry - my "King of Prussia" as my Captain calls it (a red and black painted cloth) and a smaller ground cloth.

Despite best attempts to air dry on the last morning and in the day following, the feared little black smudges have appeared. Mostly on the smaller cloth - which is a pain to clean anyway as its so heavily oiled that it bleeds at times and attracts every strand of hay or grass around and right about now looks like an adobe wall.

Has anyone had issues with keeping mold from their cloths and how can it be removed? I wonder how much of a problem it was back in the day.

-Sam Dolan
    Samuel K. Dolan
    1st Texas Infantry
    SUVCW

Re: "Cleaning" or otherwise removing Mold from Groundcloth

I’ve never had the problem but I hear vinegar works the best for mold. It may smell for a while but its better than shelling out money for a new item.
    Brandon Ledvina

Comment

Brandon,
      Thanks for the tip. I'll give that a try and allow for a lot of airing out afterwards.

-Sam Dolan
      Samuel K. Dolan
      1st Texas Infantry
      SUVCW

Comment

Originally posted by guad42 View Post
        Has anyone had issues with keeping mold from their cloths and how can it be removed?
        Cast an eye on these resources for mold removal:

[B][I]Edwin Carl Erwin[/I][/B]

descendent of:
        [B]Tobias Levin Hays[/B]
        16th Texas Infantry, Co. I, Walker's Texas Division
        22nd Brigade, "Mesquite Company", Texas Rangers
        &
        [B]J. W. Tally[/B]
        4th Texas Infantry, Hood's Texas Brigade[B][/B]

Comment

I'm assuming you have a correctly made ground cloth, finished with tasty tasty linseed oil (at least to the mold).

White vinegar, near to soaking, a good scrub and a hot sunny day will go a long way. If it's really embedded in the oil give it another dose. A separate scrub with a good detergent, bleach and a broom before the sunshine treatment helps.

Now, if all else fails and this thing continues to aggressively grow mold-----wash it in the washing machine with bleach and hot water. Run a hot rinse, and dry in a hot room with good air circulation. This will remove part of the linseed oil and make the paint look worn. You will need to recoat with boiled linseed oil.
          Terre Hood Biederman
          Yassir, I used to be Mrs. Lawson. I still run period dyepots, knit stuff, and cause trouble.

sigpic
          Wearing Grossly Out of Fashion Clothing Since 1958.

ADVENTURE CALLS. Can you hear it? Come ON.

Comment

Thanks for all the advice. For the most part the mold spots are on the underside of the cloth, or less oiled areas. Perhaps vigorous scrubbing with vinegar and a good brush is the best way to start.

-Sam Dolan
            Samuel K. Dolan
            1st Texas Infantry
            SUVCW

Comment

Working...
            X