Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Interesting dilemma - firing while marching by the flank?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interesting dilemma - firing while marching by the flank?

Here's an interesting scenario that nearly occurred to us. I was moving our company down a trail by the right flank in order to come out of woods, deploy and put fire on our enemies flank. On our left was heavy pine, so maybe 4-5 feet of clearance. The rear ranks were almost directly upon a wood rail fence. In other words, absolutely no room to deploy. Suddenly, a head-on meeting with enemy troops coming up the other way, also marching by the flank. How do you suppose the boys of old would have put fire on them? Nothing in the manuals discusses this. While it didn't actually occur, some of their boys were talking about getting the drop on us in the same manner. Trying to think this through, the only logical manner I could come up with would be similar to street fighting. I would have (after explaining to the boys) - fire by file (since your front and rear ranks are next to each other), the front rank two men then peal left to the rear, rear rank to men then peal right to the rear and continue through the company. Obviously in a reenactment I would avoid this due to a whole bunch of potential safety, but again, what do think the boys of old would have done?

Opinions??
    [FONT="Book Antiqua"]Greg Van Wey
    5th Texas Co. A
    Medich Battalion[/FONT]

Re: Interesting dilemma - firing while marching by the flank?

With the information given my snap impression is there should have been some sort of skirmisher presence if meeting the enemy was imminent and uncertain. Failing that, sheer cliffs and rivers may prevent deployment, pine trees and rail fences do not when the alternative can be deadly.
    John Duffer
    Independence Mess
    MOOCOWS
    WIG
    "There lies $1000 and a cow."

Comment

Originally posted by Greg Van Wey
      ... what do think the boys of old would have done?
      Fire and skedaddle to a place of safety or just plain skedaddle. Running to the rear is an underdone and under appreciated impression.
      Silas Tackitt,
      one of the moderators.

Click here for a link to forum rules - or don't at your own peril.

Comment

Not for me Silas, I say BY COMPANY INTO LINE and Devil take the hindmost :-). Then it's right wheel or fire at the right oblique or deploy as skirmishers by the right flank. No matter how sloppy I can still get more than four men on line. Fortune favors the bold !!
        Last edited by john duffer; 06-27-2011, 12:35 PM.
        John Duffer
        Independence Mess
        MOOCOWS
        WIG

Comment

And I say discretion is the better part of valor. I like Mr. Tackitt's take on this: often read about, seldom duplicated. Seems everybody wants to "win" a tactical exercise, but when you win, what have you really won? Is someone going for the regional championship at these things? Is our unit going for the pennant?
          Apologies for taking this off topic, and to bring it back, I say: Greg, you did about as good as one could in that situation, the options in that situation are few.
          Warren Dickinson

Currently a History Hippy at South Union Shaker Village
          Member of the original Pickett's Mill Interpretive Volunteer Staff & Co. D, 17th Ky Vol. Inf
          Former Mudsill
          Co-Creator of the States Rights Guard in '92

Comment

I believe the question was: "what do think the boys of old would have done?" so rather than a "pennant" we might be talking about being mowed down or taken prisoner if the other side managed to deploy and fire into your backs on a crowded road in a situation that could easily turn into a rout. But in the end Mr Wey asked for opinions, which often vary :wink_smil
            John Duffer
            Independence Mess
            MOOCOWS
            WIG

Comment

The interesting point of this was, that given NO way to deploy, and given the same formation opposing you, it would be more of a western shoot out. He who can a figure some way to "draw first", what ever manner of deployment, would probably completely shatter the spirit of the other company and cause them to skedaddle. I don't include too many variations of skedallilng in my repertoire, lol. Well, I guess when you ask for opinions...lol. Silas - I'm disappointed, figured you'd have some trick up yer sleeve. Haven't found nor recall any period descriptions but not giving up hope. There are some very interesting "impromptu" maneuvers out there in some of the diaries, unit histories. Thanks all. Any other ideas?
              [FONT="Book Antiqua"]Greg Van Wey
              5th Texas Co. A
              Medich Battalion[/FONT]

Comment

Would there be a method by which the first platoon could fire a volley. While this was being done, the secod has since "skedadled" several yards to the rear and taken up positions, either still in the flank position or company into line facing the front should more space allow? The first platoon, having fired their volley, would then take up new positions behind the second, thus leap frogging. Or, they could rejoing the rest of the company. I guess all would depend on how much time there was.
                My concern would be getting outflanked - if I was encountering a COMPANY such as was mentioned, and not a line of skirmishers, how much danger would I be in of getting outflanked. The entire line, and not just one company, of the enemy may very well be on either side.

In a tactical we had a similar situation. However, after the first file (we too, were along a heavily wood road) fired we were given the command "front" and we wheeled left and we were practically on their flank, raking their entire ranks with. It wasn't easy in that brush, and it took longer. Still, splendid stuff.

- Jay Reid
                Dreamer42
                9th Texas
                Jay Reid

Comment

I agree with Mr. Duffer. Battle drills are an important part of infantry training, and shifting from march order to line of battle is one of the more important drills that every battalion should practice -- frequently.

Presuming you're marching by the flank, right in front, in battalion strength:

Action front:
                  -- By company into line, march (form columns of companies)
                  -- Forward into line, march (forms battalion line of battle)

Action on right flank:
                  -- On the right by file into line, march. (forms battlion line of battle)

Action on left flank:
                  -- By the left flank, march. (forms battlion line of battle)

In each case you'll have to dress the ranks, but it gives you a fighting front that you can work with to either gain fire superiority on the Bad Guys, or maneuver on them while another unit puts out suppressive fire. As companies come on the line they open fire by files, or once you get the line relatively straightened out you can lower the bayonets and go after 'em.

Now, as you've described here, you shouldn't get your unit into such tight quarters under any circumstances without having some security -- skirmishers, flankers, etc. --- out there in front, within supporting distance, to keep you from being surprised like that. And if you're foolish enough to get your ass in a crack like that in the first place, then you deserve to have it handed back to you in a holey poke sack.

In tight terrain as you describe, manuevering a line of battle through there is pretty much going to be the same as a heavy (closed interval) skirmish line, which will let you push through the brush and work around various obstacles without a whole lot of fuss about interval, other than making sure the rear rank doesn't shoot the front rank in the ass, or vice versa. The unit that reacts and gains fire superiority, or what Mr. Forrest used to call "the bulge", is going to get the upper hand here, and the Bad Guys wil need to be in a hurry if they're going to get ahead of me.
                  Last edited by Tom Ezell; 07-13-2011, 05:20 PM.
                  Tom Ezell

Comment

Working...
                  X