Question on brogans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question on brogans

Last weekend I noticed that my soles looked like they were separating a little between the layers in one spot. When I was kicking some dirt into the fire pit at the end of the event they came apart a little. I just pushed it back and they look almost good as new. All the pegs seem to be in place but I was wondering if anyone would have any suggestions so it doesn’t get worse. Possibly a specific type of glue to hold it together as this might be the reason in the first place.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    Brandon Ledvina

Re: Question on brogans

Send them to Pat Cunningham. Main Street Cobbler.
    Galen Wagner
    Mobile, AL

Duty is, then, the sublimest word in our language.Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more. You should never wish to do less. -Col. Robert E.Lee, Superintendent of USMA West Point, 1852

Comment

Barge Cement will work, but without taking off the outsole and thoroughly cleaning it you would be wasting your time. Then comes the dilemma of putting it back on with out out the proper tools, i.e. a shoe anvil.
      Scott House

Comment

Who made the shoes, how old are they and can you post some images? More than likely it is a quick fix that most repair shops can do, if indeed you caught it quick.

Pat Cunningham

Comment

Here are a couple pictures. Although I am no shoe expert I believe I caught it quick. They are from Mattimore Harness and although I can’t honestly remember I would guess about five years old give or take. Mr. Cunningham you said that most repair shops can do it. There is one down the street. Would most shops be able to fix it? How much may I ask would you charge. I just sent the same shoe out to Mattimore Harness to re-sew some stitching. I had to send it twice since he didn’t get the whole part and spent about thirty dollars in shipping alone which was three times the amount of the fix so the less money the better on them. They are still nice shoes and I don’t want to shell out the money for a new pair right now.

Thanks for the replies.
          Attached Files
          Brandon Ledvina

Comment

Well the outer sole is pretty thin now too. You might consider having a new clumb sole pegged under it. A few clinching nails or some more pegs will help.
            Jan H.Berger
            Hornist

German Mess
            http://germanmess.de/

www.lederarsenal.com

"Und setzet ihr nicht das Leben ein, nie wird euch das Leben gewonnen sein."( Friedrich Schiller)

Comment

Jan pretty much sumed it up. The sole is getting thin but it doesn't look like it has cut loose yet from the pegs. Your local shoe repair shop can reglue the sole to the midsole probably for the cost it would be to buy a tube of glue or less.

Pat Cunningham

Comment

Thanks for the info yet again.

As for the sole, the outer sole was always thinner than the inner sole even when they were new. Not sure for the reason. I guess just the design. Although I’m sure they have worn down somewhat through the years.
                Brandon Ledvina

Comment

Working...
                X