X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Un-tarring canvas?

Hello,

I recently purchased a second hand tarred canvas haversack, and I need to remove the tarring in order to cover it again. The tar is in a perpetual state of melt down and I refuse to wear it in any weather.

I have been able to strip soem off manually, but as you can imagine it is slow, tediosu work.

Any advice you can give will be much appreciated.

Thank You,

Dan Limb
    2nd Virginia Infantry, Co. F
    "Winchester Riflemen"
    Dan Limb
    One of THEM!

"In the moment of action, remember the value of silence and order" -- Phormio of Athens

"Your first duty is to get a decent hat. You cannot hope to do more. You should never wish to do less"

Direct Descendent of
    James M. Hergesheimer, Co. A. 20th Iowa Infantry

Capt. James G. Campbell, Co. F., 19th Illinois Infantry. Wounded at Missionary Ridge

Re: Un-tarring canvas?

You could try a "paint remover" that is labeled for latex paint. However, putting any solvent on cloth might just spell disaster. De-natured alcohol might work too but it might be hard on the cloth. I’d take it to a Laundromat, add extra soap, and in the hottest water the place has spend 55 cents and see what happens. Sometimes, that period “tarring” takes years to dry. And, really, what do you have to lose?
    [FONT="Book Antiqua"]"Grumpy" Dave Towsen
    Past President Potomac Legion
    Long time member Columbia Rifles
    Who will care for Mother now?[/FONT]

Comment

I think the laundromat might take issue with a machine full of sticky tar! This stuff is nasty, leading my wife to banish it from the house.

So far I have tried soaking it in hot soapy water, but it has a good leather strap attached that I do not want to ruin. As of yet, the only thing that has helped remove the old tar is my fingernail, which I do not want to use any more lest I too get banished. The compound used on it seems the be a thick smattering of the same stuff you find clinging to pylons in New York Harbor.

I want to strip it off so I can recover it with a linseed oil/black paint mixture that i hope will dry much quicker, so I don't wan to ruin the canvas fabric. I thought maybe a heavy degreaser might soften it up to scrape off, but I have yet to try it.

Either way, I'd prefer not to taint the canvas wih something toxic, as I still plan to put food in it.

But, if worse comes to worst, I will salvange the leather strap and bone button.

Thanks for the ideas,

Dan Limb
      Dan Limb
      One of THEM!

"In the moment of action, remember the value of silence and order" -- Phormio of Athens

"Your first duty is to get a decent hat. You cannot hope to do more. You should never wish to do less"

Direct Descendent of

Capt. James G. Campbell, Co. F., 19th Illinois Infantry. Wounded at Missionary Ridge

Comment

It sounds to me like it would be so much effort to do you could either make a new one or in the time required to fix it earn enough money to buy another one.
        Steve Sheldon

Comment

Mr. Limb,

I have been coming back to this thread and thinking about possible remedies. Would it be possible to post pictures of one of the melting portions?

Thanks.
          Matthew Semple

Comment

I agree with Steve. Cut The leather strap and button, measure the haversack's dimentions, get some new canvas (Its cheep!) and make yourself a new one. you can completely hand sew a haversack and strap in just a few hours. The tarring will take longer but you planned to do that anyway. Good luck!
            Brad Ireland
            Old Line Mess
            4th VA CO. A
            SWB

Comment

Originally posted by cprljohnivey View Post
              I agree with Steve. Cut The leather strap and button, measure the haversack's dimentions, get some new canvas (Its cheep!) and make yourself a new one. you can completely hand sew a haversack and strap in just a few hours. The tarring will take longer but you planned to do that anyway. Good luck!
              That or buy a new one, you will never satisfactorily remove the old "tar".
              Thomas Pare Hern
              Co. A, 4th Virginia
              Stonewall Brigade

Comment

Just getting another one is good advice.
                Frank Perkin

Comment

I'm sayin' again, wash it in hot, hot, soapy water. And, a laundramat is your best option.
                  [FONT="Book Antiqua"]"Grumpy" Dave Towsen
                  Past President Potomac Legion
                  Long time member Columbia Rifles
                  Who will care for Mother now?[/FONT]

Comment

Gentlemen,

My apologies for not responding sooner, but I was gone for the weekend at an event.

I have decided to remove the strap and button and get another haversack made. I hate quitting a project, and I still want to tinker with it, but for the time being I need a haversack that won't melt to my uniform.

Mr. Semple, in response to your question: I have scraped off the worst of the melting portions, but the overall surface is just as bad. The worst of it was beneath the flap. I don't have any pictures of it handy. If I can I will post some.

Thank you all for your advice and consideration.

Your ob't serv't,

2nd Lt. Dan Limb
                    Co. F, 2nd Virginia Inf.
                    Dan Limb
                    One of THEM!

Direct Descendent of

Comment

Hallo!

Just an aside...

In the world of reproduction haversacks and knapsacks, there are a number of so-called "tarred" finishes. Some are closer to the Civil war type formulae, others are "look-a-likes" that can range from modified formulae to modern leatex-based paint formulae to even spray can pruning cut sprays.

By and large, and just guessing, you likely, probably, have a paint based formula that would require paint remover or worse yet paint stripper which can be harsh if not destructive to the cloth beneath the paint.

Chances are, and just guessing on my part, but if you have a haversack that is just "painted" black, it might be lacking or suffering in other areas of "authenticity" and you may benefit from making a new one.

Curt
                      Curt Schmidt
                      In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
                      -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
                      -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
                      -Vastly Ignorant
                      -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

Soak in very hot water for an hour or so and take some steel wool and scrub off all the loose coating. That is your only chance of getting it close to ready to refinish.
                        Claude Sinclair
                        Palmetto Battalion

Comment

Personally, for all the time and effort, plus materials....I would advise you to purchase a new one from a reputable maker or a used one crafted by a reputable maker...
                          Tom "Mingo" Machingo
                          Independent Rifles, Weevil's Mess

Vixi Et Didici

"I think and highly hope that this war will end this year, and Oh then what a happy time we will have. No need of writing then but we can talk and talk again, and my boy can talk to me and I will never tire of listening to him and he will want to go with me everywhere I go, and I will be certain to let him go if there is any possible chance."
                          Marion Hill Fitzpatrick
                          Company K, 45th Georgia Infantry
                          KIA Petersburg, Virginia

Comment

Horse... dead... beaten again... ugh.

This thread has done run its course, ya'll. Thanks to everyone. ;)
                            Johnny Lloyd
                            John "Johnny" Lloyd
                            Think before you post... Rules on this forum here
                            SCAR
                            Known to associate with the following fine groups: WIG/AG/CR

"Without history, there can be no research standards.
                            Without research standards, there can be no authenticity.
                            Without the attempt at authenticity, all is just a fantasy.
                            Fantasy is not history nor heritage, because it never really existed." -Me

Proud descendant of...

Comment

Working...
                            X