Question on simulating age/ field use for events

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question on simulating age/ field use for events

As someone new to living history still trying to gather acceptable kit, I am eager to hear more experienced views of how to mix, when called for, equipment and uniform items of different age/usage.

For example, in a spring/summer 1864 event depicting the the ANV during the Overland campaign, how would you represent varying age and wear on uniforms and equipment? Or for late 1863, would logwood dyed blue uniforms issued to Longstreet's Corp before Chickamauga be turning more butternut on the way to Knoxville? If so, how would this best be represented? Not having enough experienced gear, or looking fresh from the quartermaster, would not seem to be appropriate.

While I am trying to acquire some used items to show at least some degree of age on uniform items when necessary, any other suggestions or direction would be appreciated.

As this may be a largely a matter of opinion, I apologize if this thread is incorrectly located.
    Matthew Casey

Re: Question on simulating age/ field use for events

Matthew,

Your question is appropriately located in the "Camp of Instruction". This is the place for questions from newbies.

The question of aging gear comes up from time to time and the replies usually follow the theme of "buy historically accurate reproductions and age them by using them in historically accurate ways". In short, but the good stuff and go to events. Artificial aging ends up looking, well, artificial... and it adds unneccessary wear and tear to expensive gear.

Also, bear in mind that a soldier didn't have all of his gear replaced all at once. Nor did entire companies or regiments get fully re-outfitted all at once. Lists were taken of missing, worn, or spent equipment in a company and requisitions for replacements were placed. So, a soldier could have new trousers, but a somewhat worn jacket, or a new musket with used cartridge box, etc.

Your top priority as a new participant in the hobby should be getting out to good events, as many as you can, and equipping yourself to do so with the best avaible reproductions that your budget (and skill for those items you choose to make yourself) will permit.

Quick Question:
    Logwood blue uniforms on Longstreet's men... Could you elaborate on this? If you are thinking of the English issue clothing that they were issued, those garments were not dyed using logwood. They were made of the same yard goods used by the English military of the day and those colors have held up pretty well, even after 150 years.
    John Wickett
    Former Carpetbagger
    Administrator (We got rules here! Be Nice - Sign Your Name - No Farbisms)

Comment

Okay, I'll bite...
      First, I'd just start attending events. If you do soldier things, your gear will begin to get "that look" of being used in a short time (ie: don't pamper your gear - well made equipment should bear the riggors of field use). My once white canteen straps are a very respectable medium brown; things start to unravel a bit, etc.

Second, when I bought my .69 caliber cartridge box a few years ago, it looked nice and neat. Now, it has the usual nicks, gouges and scratches one gets when campaigning.

Next, and I hope the fellows don't jump on me here, target a time, unit and place (depot) to start and go from there. As you gather more of your kit you can become more time-specific. Our unit suggests Columbus depot shells jackets of the AOT mid-war for the new guys. Many of us now have frocks and kepis (for early war) in addition to our usual slouches; union canteens rather than southern made (for post-Chickamauga, etc) to vary the look. About all of us now have battle shirts for Twiggs surrender and Wilson's Creek type events. You get the idea.

Lastly, I'm certainly no expert, but I believe from sources I've read that the dyes associated with butternut have faded over the last 150 years - meaning, what once had a tint of brownish-gray now looks very faded and brown. Again, give it some campaign living and things will be fine.

Get with a good unit that'll direct you and add a pice of equipment at a time.
      Good luck.

- Jay Reid
      9th Texas
      Jay Reid

Comment

Thanks for the input and encouragement. As suggested, I am building up a generic Richmond depot mid war kit for the events in my unit's current schedule, with the hopes of adding to and filling in gaps based on the particulars of future events. Until then, I will count on the more seasoned members of my unit to fill in the gaps in my impression, and content myself to portraying the new recruit that I am with as much cohesion as possible.
        Matthew Casey

Comment

Hallo!

Aging, distress, and wear, and their effect on a Believeable Image or to Suspend Disbelief are part of our Culture Wars.

In brief and to over generalize the dominant and prevalent view is that:

1. Few lads lack the knowledge and skill to actually "age" cloth, leather, and wood in order not get highly noticeable fake-looking results, and

2. CW soldiers, based on time, place, and circumstances did receive new kit from time to time, even on a schedule if possible (contrary to the post-war Lost Cause Mythology of the South losing the War because of its universally naked, starving soldiers.)

3. Actual use, as it was with CW soldiers, takes care of aging, distress, and wear naturally and most highly realistically by itself. Especially when used, and ESPECIALLY when maintained n a Civil War manner with CW methods.

However, our Hobby also has a secret bias that the look of a campaigner or veteran is superior to the look of a Fresh Fish or Band Box Soldier, so we prize the "live din look" over the "out of the box Quartermaster issue."
          Sooooo. Some lads PREFER to buy "pre-used" and "used" clothing and kit and skip the "stigma" of looking Cherry or Newbie.

Curt
          Curt Schmidt
          In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
          -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
          -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
          -Vastly Ignorant
          -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

Mr. Casey.

One thing that i've done to get some "wear" into some of my kit is doing yard work with my trousers, shirt, jacket, and slouch hat. I've gotten a lot of decent smudges and 'wear' on the items. Now I do brush the excess dirt off. Honestly if you take the gear out on events, hikes at parks in between events, etc pretty soon you'll get the "worn in" look. There are a LOT of great items for sale right now on the "buy" folder here.

Also, remember that by 1864 the CS depot system did a farily decent job at getting the solderis re supplied. There is gent here who has recently compiled a great list of equipment issuane to the ANV from 1864 and 1865. Hopefully someone will come along and post the link. Hope this helps.

Found the link to the website, Huzzah for the AC search function!

Great stuff on this page!
            Last edited by Coatsy; 07-10-2011, 04:00 PM. Reason: Found dat linkage!!!
            Herb Coats
            Armory Guards &
            WIG

Comment

Originally posted by Mudville Nine View Post
              As someone new to living history still trying to gather acceptable kit, I am eager to hear more experienced views of how to mix, when called for, equipment and uniform items of different age/usage.

For example, in a spring/summer 1864 event depicting the the ANV during the Overland campaign, how would you represent varying age and wear on uniforms and equipment? Or for late 1863, would logwood dyed blue uniforms issued to Longstreet's Corp before Chickamauga be turning more butternut on the way to Knoxville? If so, how would this best be represented? Not having enough experienced gear, or looking fresh from the quartermaster, would not seem to be appropriate.

While I am trying to acquire some used items to show at least some degree of age on uniform items when necessary, any other suggestions or direction would be appreciated.

As this may be a largely a matter of opinion, I apologize if this thread is incorrectly located.
              I'll echo Herb. It is hard to fake the funk. You just gotta go to events and use your kit. rubbing crisco on your jacket and then putting dirt on top of that doesn't look the same to me.

BTW, Longstreets guys at Chick were wearing uniforms made from imported English cloth.
              Bryant Roberts
              Palmetto Guards/WIG/LR

Interested in the Palmetto Guards?
              palmettoguards@gmail.com

Comment

Poor choice of words on my part. For the record, I wouldn't want to fake, distress, or soil any piece of my impression. My original thought was not to go beyond letting wet trousers and jacket dry while wearing it the next time it rains, and then maybe leave them in the sun for a few days. From this discussion, that would seem unnecessary now.

Mostly, I was wondering whether mixing used(preowned) accoutrements with newer uniform pieces would be a way to differentiate resupply versus green troops. In the future, I will endeavor to be more to the point.

My apologies on overgeneralizing about dye and textiles, since most of my comments would not apply to the synthetic dyed English kersey.
                Matthew Casey

Comment

How d' ye!

"Mostly, I was wondering whether mixing used(preowned) accoutrements with newer uniform pieces would be a way to differentiate resupply versus green troops."

In brief and to over generalize...

Yes, it would.

The reason being that that is how the Federal system worked, and by and large, to the extent possible, the way the Confederate system worked after the commutation period.

Ideally, soldiers received Quartermaster and Ordnance Department issued X items at Y intervals on an "allowance" schedule (or when supplies could keep to a schedule when on campaign or during times of shortages).

If a soldier lost, wore out, or destroyed an item prematurely, he could be "fined" for its replacement off-schedule. The trickier side of that same coin is that sometimes a soldier would not necessarily need an item of gear or article of clothing and be allowed to pass and receive a cash "refund" later (that being relative to eye and disposition of the company and/or regimental commander as to what men could get away with).

I was once going through a Texas Brigade company's requisition and the numbers of jackets amnd trousers did not match the number of men, nor did the number of jackets match the number of trousers so:

1. Not all of the men in that company needed jackets or trousers, and were "allowed" to "pass"
                  2. Jackets and trousers were not a matched "set," as some men needed jackets but not trousers, others trousers not jackets, and some both.

What was also interesting was that someone left the supply wagon unguarded, and men from another, or other companies stole some of the jackets and trosuers from the wagon.

Still being brief and over generalized... but pretty much, the only time a unit was in all new uniforms and gear was most likley at the point they were initially outfitted, or possibly the rare instance of a totally complete resupply.

Curt
                  Curt Schmidt
                  In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
                  -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
                  -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
                  -Vastly Ignorant
                  -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

Working...
                  X