Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Various Colors of Cartridge Papers from U.S. Arsenals

Forumites,
    Back in the day, I really used to enjoy making up cartridges. I know some hate that chore, but I guess I found a certain "zen" in doing so.

Anyway, since returning to the fold I've been catching up on research both old and new, and my reading has naturally led me back to reproducing cartridges. I have a couple of questions for the scribes and sages here:

.69 Caliber Smoothbore Ammunition: I've seen the table of regs (1861 if memory serves me correctly) that states these are supposed to be made out of red paper. I have never seen an actual, original .69 smoothbore ball round in the flesh, and the only photos in books I have of these are in B&W to the best of my memory. Were these produced throughout the war with red paper, or did this get dropped in favor of the plain-Jane tan/brown variety that .58/.577 caliber rounds were made of in the interest of expediency?

Percussion Cap Tubes: That green paper, I've never seen it. I bought a "lot"/bag of dug machine cut Minie' rounds years back that included the remains of what I thought/think is a percussion cap tube. (A bunch of percussion caps inside of the remains of a tan/brown paper tube.) Was the green ever really used? Was it used then dropped?

Thanks in advance for your help on this.
    Last edited by dixieflyer; 07-06-2011, 06:49 AM. Reason: operator headspace and timing
    Warren Dickinson

Currently a History Hippy at South Union Shaker Village
    Member of the original Pickett's Mill Interpretive Volunteer Staff & Co. D, 17th Ky Vol. Inf
    Former Mudsill
    Co-Creator of the States Rights Guard in '92

Re: Various Colors of Cartridge Papers from U.S. Arsenals

Hallo!

Tis complicated. In brief and to over generalize...

The 3rd Edition (aka 1861) Ordnance Manual specified green wrapeprs for .69 RB and red wrappers for buckshot. It seems to have omitted a spec for buck-and-ball wrappers. .69 EB were to have been "ordinary" paper.

Surviving cartridges would seem to show that this was rarely followed, "ordinary" (read as off white) paper being the more common, and it did not seem to bother the inspectors. This is also true for string, it runnng from natural to white to two ply variations of blue and white, red and white, or pink and white.

My theory is that the wrapper color became less important, as the packing box was color coded anyways. Meaning, a wooden packing box for .69 RB was (ideally) to have been blue, and red for buckshot rounds. "Lead" for .69 EB.

Or, as with the Williams Patent cartridges, my theory is that they went from blue to ordinary paper so that the soldiers could not see a difference as readily and throw away the unpopular rounds.

Same thing for percussion cap rolls- ordinary paper was fine in practice, and it was not like a soldier would confuse his cap "tube" for a cartridge by mistake. ;) :)
    Of the handful of surviivng originals i havre seen, they were all ordinary paper wrapped. (But, that raises a discussion as to the unbalanced weight of late War artifacts in the archeological pool skewing things for the whole War..)

Curt
    Curt Schmidt
    In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
    -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
    -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
    -Vastly Ignorant
    -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

Danke sehr Herr Doktor Professor Schmidt! This confirms what I suspected back then as well as now, but never had an opportunity to put it before a such a learned group in this venue. I shall forge ahead with my rolling papers as planned.*

*Ooops! hope that doesn't set of a DEA filter. :o
      Warren Dickinson

Member of the original Pickett's Mill Interpretive Volunteer Staff & Co. D, 17th Ky Vol. Inf
      Former Mudsill

Comment

" and it was not like a soldier would confuse his cap "tube" for a cartridge by mistake. "

It's a modern reference rather than period but at an LBL event where I portrayed a guerrilla leader and we were bounced by a company of very swift feds I did indeed ram a tube of caps while running in terror. I didn't realize it until next morning when multiple caps wouldn't fire and I used a worm.
        John Duffer
        Independence Mess
        MOOCOWS
        WIG
        "There lies $1000 and a cow."

Comment

Well John, I must confess that the same thing happened at the '89 Franklin 125th when during the CS assault my messmates needed ammo, and I passed a packet up to them. They unwrapped them and one of my messmates did the same thing. We got lucky that day.
          Warren Dickinson

Former Mudsill

Comment

Out of curiousity, does anyone have a picture of a sleeve of caps from a package?
            Mark Krausz
            William L. Campbell
            Prodigal Sons Mess of Co. B 36th IL Inf.
            Old Northwest Volunteers
            Agents Campbell and Pelican's Military Goods

Comment

Hallo!

I thought I had one, but all of my reference photogrpahs are still trapped in a dead hard drive. I will look through my disk piles to see if may be I had downloaded it to disk some time or not.

The lone and only, or last one I recall on Public Display was years ago at the old NPS Gettysburg Visitors' Center. As you turned the corner in the "gun wing," immediately on the right was a cartridge box with tins and cartridges, and a cap roll in ordinary paper.
              Then it disappeared with a sign saying it was removed for conservation.
              For years afterwards, it was never brought back.

I have only been to the "new and improved" VC once, so I might have missed it. But I DOUBT it.

Curt
              Balking at the $400 fee for a lab to try, successfully or not, to retrieve my photos and documents Mess
              Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
              -Vastly Ignorant

Comment

I dug 3 or so intact cart paper rolls of caps from Federal trenches at Spanish Fort 25 years ago. Each roll had 12 caps. Diameters was about 3/8 inch as the caps were stacked inside. Really surprised they were in excellent shape and I was able to preserve. Length was about 1 3/4 inches. The color coming out of 3 ft of dirt was dull white. Sorry I am not in a place to take a photo. The bullet drops along the trench bottom in the area were primarily Washington Arsenal .58 pistol carbine design (Mason) and Williams Cleaners Type 3. There were A LOT of cleaners dropped and fired - and very obviuous the Confederate were using them also. Remember pulling up white cartridge papers (torn) occasionally along with bits wool socks in same area.

Roger Hansen

Comment

Attached are two images of .69 ammunition as displayed at the West Point Museum.
                  Attached Files
                  Bob Welch

The Eagle and The Journal
                  My blog, following one Illinois community from Lincoln's election through the end of the Civil War through the articles originally printed in its two newspapers.

Comment

I just happened to have a roll of caps sitting on the table next to my desk. Here's a quick front and back scan of the roll for your reference. Ordinary cartridge paper, tied the same as a cartridge.

Click image for larger version

Name:	caps01..jpg
Views:	1
Size:	29.7 KB
ID:	222245Click image for larger version

Name:	caps02..jpg
Views:	1
Size:	30.4 KB
ID:	222246

Scott Cross: If you happen to be reading this note...Yes, this is the same roll that John Wedeward attempted to molest on the way home from one of the Chicago Civil War Collector Shows.

Paul McKee
                    Last edited by CompanyWag; 07-06-2011, 03:16 PM.
                    Paul McKee

Comment

Curt, I appreciate your feedback and looking for me. Roger, you have jogged my memory banks, and I remember you telling me about pulling those up now. Paul, thanks for the images, my previous attempts at this looked just like that. I could have sworn that I remember them being wrapped in plain cartridge paper, thanks for confirming it for me. Bob, thanks for the image of the .69 rounds. I'll get you a three-wolf shirt to give Patrick. ;)
                      Warren Dickinson

Former Mudsill

Comment

they packed the caps in an green tube. from what i have read atleast. and on the .69 the cartridges were the plain paper and the bundling paper was green for the smoothbore. the ammo boxes were blue for smoothbore and red for buck and ball.
                        Your most humble and obedient servant,
                        Erik W Creekmore,
                        2nd Col Vol Inf.

Sgt Major, Territorial Battalion.

Comment

Hallo!

A problem some lads sometimes have when using the "Pertinent Data" taken from the small arms Table on page 270 of the 1861 Ordnance Manual is that...

it presumes one already knows that the cartridges are not color coded but the wrappers of the bundles were to have been.

When reading the Table the papers that form the cartridges are made of "Ordinary Paper.' In the table they are listed under "Trapezoid" and no color is listed because there were no colors- they were "ordinary paper."
                          Below that then, is the "Wrapper" section that gives the dimensions for the bundle wrappers AND the (official) color for the bundle wrapper colored papers. (I say "offical" because with the color coding of the boxes, there was no real need to color code their bundled cartridges, and may explain why the "regs" were not followed as evidenced by the artifact pool.

"they packed the caps in an green tube. from what i have read atleast."

When making a statement that is outside of our Collective Knowledge base, research and documentation base, and surviving artifact pool, it is a good idea to cite the references, documentation, and artifacts used to come to that analysis and opinion please?

Thanks!

Curt
                          Always looking to learn soemthing new Mess
                          Curt Schmidt

-Vastly Ignorant

Comment

Working...
                          X