This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Haversack Stuffers"

I think I've been mislead. For several years I've been told that the typical contents of a haversack would include items besides food rations. Modern sutlers do nothing to discourage that notion.

Were a plate and eating utensils typically kept in a haversack with the rations, separated by the removable insert? What about pencil, tobacco, candle, candle holder, "housewife," pamphlets, nipple wrench, harmonica, jaw harp, matches, personal mirror, straight razor, or small bible etc. ?

True enough, those are not good items to pack with meat, salt, sugar, coffee over time. Everything in the haversack would get trashed on a long campaign. Did those items end up in pockets, bedroll and backpack more typically?

Dan Wykes
    Danny Wykes

Re: "Haversack Stuffers"

Try putting three days rations in your haversack and seeing how much other things you can "stuff" in there. You haversack should only contain food and eatting stuff. A tin plate, utinsiles, and cup/boiler will not take up much room since the plate and utinsilesa are flat, and you can put stuff inside of the cup or boiler. Not to mention after a while your haversack will become pretty disgusting. The items you listed would be carried in knapsacks, or pockets.
    -Brandon Hand
    48th NY Co. F
    Unit Clerk/Newsletter Editor

Comment

Dan,

"Trashed" indeed. Here is an excerpt from Si Klegg and his pard where the author is describing the condition of the inside of the haversack:

Also, here is a link to Kevin O'Beirne's article on haversack and knapsack packing:

Hope this helps!

Bob Bowser
      Bob Bowser

Comment

I think that about covers it.
        Troy Groves "AZReenactor"
        1st California Infantry Volunteers, Co. C

So, you think that scrap in the East is rough, do you?
        Ever consider what it means to be captured by Apaches?

Comment

Working...
        X