No announcement yet.

To Carry or Not To Carry Shelter Half?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To Carry or Not To Carry Shelter Half?

Hello All,

I have one of those older/heavier shelter half's from Jarnagin (bought in '98) and as such it won't fit quite as right in the knapsack as the less heavier ones that Haversack Depot makes (on a side note, are they back in business yet? If not, where can I get an authentic lighter weight shelter half?). So my question....how often do the rest of you carry your shelter half?

Assume this is for a Union impression.

Thanks in advance,
    Robin
    Robert F. Wallace
    38th NCT (River Rat Mess)
    North State Rifles

"Do your duty in all things...for you can do no more and should never wish to do less." General Robert E. Lee

Re: To Carry or Not To Carry Shelter Half?

Get rid of that heavy one and contact Wambaugh, White, & Co or post for a good used one. Lot of folks won't have use for one with all the 1861 events this year
    Ross L. Lamoreaux
    rlamoreaux@tampabayhistorycenter.org

"...and if profanity was included in the course of study at West Point, I am sure that the Army of the Cumberland had their share of the prize scholars in this branch." - B.F. Scribner, 38th Indiana Vol Inf

Comment

Ross,

Thanks for the advice. Like I said, I got it back in 1998 and wasn't too knowledgeable in shelter half weight difference back then. I don't know what Jarnagin's half's are like now, but I was organizing some stuff yesterday in preparation for Manassas next weekend and was curious about that.

(Regardless of the event year (1861-1865) I think I can count the number of times on one hand I've set my shelter half up at an event as I usually just throw down my ground cloth and blanket.)

Thanks,
      Robin
      Robert F. Wallace
      38th NCT (River Rat Mess)
      North State Rifles

"Do your duty in all things...for you can do no more and should never wish to do less." General Robert E. Lee

Comment

Jarnagin tents are essentially as they have been. Not good enough.

Of course the shelter half is not right for Manassas. There are no contracts for them prior to the battle and they are not known to have been issued prior to the Spring campaigns of 62.

I have a nice type 2a for sale. If you are interested you can PM me or contact me off the forum. ajkeehan@yahoo.com.
        Andrew Keehan
        23 of A

Comment

Working...
        X