Requesting Suggested Reading for Prairie Grove

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Requesting Suggested Reading for Prairie Grove

While eagerly anticipating the arrival of my copy of Shea's Fields of Blood, I was wondering whether any Trans-Mississippi folks out there had any recommendations for further study. I understand several on this forum are working on Wilson's Creek and have researched Pea Ridge and other preceding movements.

My main interest is the political division in Arkansas that made building an army there such a challenge. Of particular interest to me is the role of conscript Arkansawyers, including Unionists who deserted en masse, many of whom subsequently ended up as volunteers in blue.

Any resources for further review are greatly appreciated.
    Matthew Casey

Re: Requesting Suggested Reading for Prairie Grove

Fields of Blood is an absolutely fantastic read!

For a better understanding of how Prairie Grove fits into the operational history of the Trans-Mississippi Department I suggest reading William Piston's Wilson's Creek and Shea's and Hess' Pea Ridge.

Now pertaining to Arkansas, Carl Moneyhon's The Impact of the Civil War and Reconstruction on Arkansas is a fantastic read. It is a bit of an academic read but it goes into incredible detail of Arkansas during this time period.

Finally I haven't read this myself yet, but Michael Dougan's Confederate Arkansas appears to be a good read as well.

Others might add books, but this should at least get you started.

Happy reading!
    Bill Backus

Comment

It's so great to see someone from out east interested in the Trans Miss! If only you knew how hard it can be to get people FROM here to swivel their heads away from Old Virginny...

Fields of Blood is a book we waited a long time for. Pea Ridge: Civil War Campaign in the West is know as "The Bible" to the NPS rangers at Pea Ridge, and it is from them that I heard many years ago that Professor Shea was working on a full-length book on Prairie Grove. Until it came out, we did have his introductoryWar in the West: Pea Ridge and Prairie Grove- but if you've read his full length works on the two campaigns then this is unneccessary.

There is another book out there on Prairie Grove: Embattled Arkansas: The Prairie Grove Campaign of 1862 by Michael Banasik. It gets into greater detail of troop movements at the regimental and battery level, but it is a dense, difficult read. Banasik is no storyteller, so if you decide to tackle this one, read Shea first so you understand the basic flow and narrative of the battle ahead of time.

As to your interest in the citizens of war-torn (and bitterly divided) Arkansas, let me add two titles to your reading list. Pea Ridge and Prairie Grove: Or, Scenes and Incidents of the War in Arkansas by William Baxter is a first person account first published in 1864. Baxter was a minister (and president of Arkansas College) at the time of the war, and he gives a harrowing picture of what it was like to live through the clash of armies in his home state. Civil War Arkansas: Beyond Battles and Leaders edited by Bailey and Sutherland is a collection of essays from scholarly publications, all about the Arkansas home front.

Lastly, for overall context, I would recommend Civil War on the Western Border 1854-1865 by Jay Monaghan. Admittedly, in the half century since its publication, a few factual errors have been found in its text, but for its sheer command of the greater picture of the war in the Trans Mississippi it can't be beat.

I believe that except for the Banasik, all these titles are in print and would be orderable from your local bookstore (yes, quite a giveaway as to my profession.) Happy Reading!
      Arch Campbell
      Hairy Nation
      Loyal Union League
      Past Master of Martin Lodge #624, GL of Iowa AF & AM

"Secessionists and Rebel Traitors desiring a fight can be accomodated[sic]on demand." -David Moore

Comment

You know Cal Kinzer used to work as a Ranger at Prairie Grove years ago before he became a "perfeser" at Okmulgee State and may know some other sources. He doesn't get on the forum here a lot, so I'll email him and see if he has any additional input.
        Frank Siltman
        24th Mo Vol Inf
        Cannoneer, US Army FA Museum Gun Crew
        Member, Oklahoma Civil War Sesquicentennial Commission
        Company of Military Historians
        Lawton/Fort Sill, OK

Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay -- and claims a halo for his dishonesty.— Robert A. Heinlein

Comment

Arkansas does not seem to have any online newspaper archives that could give you a sense of the time; I find a link for the Gentry-Courier that is post-1869 and is therefore not useful (if interested, it is at http://gentrycourierjournal.newspaperarchive.com/). Missouri on the other hand, does. Free Missouri newspaper archives can be found here: http://www.sos.mo.gov/mdh/browse.asp?id=22 I'd guess that the Border Star and Liberty Tribune may be of some interest as their collections predate the war. While Missouri is not Arkansas you may get a sense of the political/social climate from Missouri newspapers that could be applicable to parts of Arkansas. I'll have to look further but I'm nearly positive Tennessee has some free newspaper archives as well.

I took an NEH course at Wilson's Creek last summer; Dr. Piston's books over Wilson's Creek and Pea Ridge were heavily used (he was one of the instructors) and I found them quite valuable research materials. Monaghan's book is good though outdated as Mr. Campbell pointed out above.

Best wishes,

Alexander Vasquez
          Last edited by Alexander Vasquez; 07-22-2011, 09:50 PM. Reason: Needed to complete thought

Comment

I know the Old State House Museum in Little Rock has some interesting exhibits planned, but I don't know when I'll next be out that way. This one on veteran's reunions might be worth checking out, and I see they have new battle flags to be conserved.

Until then, it looks like I'll have plenty to investigate from the online sources and books to check out. Thanks for the wealth of information. I will endeavor in the future to contribute something to the discussion.
            Matthew Casey

Comment

Working...
            X