1842 brass sight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1842 brass sight

I'm going to be doing a defarb on a Armisport 1842 Springfield. Can anyone suggest a source for a proper brass front sight?
    Frank Perkin

Re: 1842 brass sight

For What It is Worth: I used (just this evening) a piece of a brass washer, cut and filed down to fit the front barrel band. I had ground off the cast sight, and soldered it on. Took a while to get it positioned right, but overall not too difficult to do. Granted I was only going off pictures to estimate the height, thickness, etc but I think it looks alright for a first attempt. I had wanted to do this for the 2nd MS, but was running out of time with other preparations and did not want to rush it.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Marc29thGA; 07-27-2011, 07:48 PM. Reason: Added info, typos
    [FONT="Georgia"][I]Marc Averill[/I]
    Dirigo Grays
    CWT[/FONT]

[I][COLOR="Blue"]"Time sets all things right. Error lives but a day. Truth is eternal." [/COLOR][/I]
    Lt. General James Longstreet

Comment

Good idea. Looks great.
      Frank Perkin

Comment

Lodgewood did mine - you can see a pick in the for sale thread for the musket. They charge about $40.
        Garrett W. Silliman

[I]Don't Float the Mainstream[/I]
        [SIZE="1"]-Sweetwater Brewing Company, Atlanta, GA[/SIZE]

Comment

Alternatively, you can get sheet brass at various hobby shops and/or craft stores such as Hobby Lobby.

Just my two kopecks.
          Warren Dickinson

Currently a History Hippy at South Union Shaker Village
          Member of the original Pickett's Mill Interpretive Volunteer Staff & Co. D, 17th Ky Vol. Inf
          Former Mudsill
          Co-Creator of the States Rights Guard in '92

Comment

i've had John Zimmerman do two of them. A repro 1842 and an original 1816 that was damaged. He did a great job on both. If I recall correctly he charged about $40 for each.
            Steve Blancard
            Corporal
            13th Virginia Infantry, Company A.

Comment

Two ways to put on a proper brass sight - first note how the steel cast in sight looks in shape. My original 1816 and 1842 sights are pretty darn close to the common casting. Next, file off the offending bit, degrease, apply brazing (brass) in a blob large enough to file to shape. Method 2, make a rough new sight of brass scrap, a washer is cheap. Degrease. Silver solder to band, file to final shape. After filing, use fine emery cloth to clean up and polish.

Common solder may work, but will not be very sturdy. Silver solder has a brassy look, so it blends in well. Its too hard to file the tiny front sight to shape as a separate piece, get it close, then attach and finsih it with the band being a good handle.
              Kent Goff

[url]www.mvep.org[/url]
              Decendent of members of the 11th and 35th Iowa Infantry

Comment

Working...
              X