Army telegraph impression 101

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Army telegraph impression 101

I have been thinking about how many non-combatant impressions that we very rareley if ever see at events even though they were a common part of army life. Blacksmiths, Farriers, teamsters, etc... I stumbled across this awesome article on how to create a proper army telegraph impression and how to make a fully functional telegraph system at an event. All of it is way over my head but I do know that this would be awesome to see utilized at an event. Maybe their are some folks on here who did not flunk science who will be inspired by this. Enjoy.

Sam Harrelson
    Liberty Rifles
    Independent Volunteers
    Museum of the Confederacy

Re: Army telegraph impression 101

Thanks for posting that Sam. True, we seldom get to see CW support impressions, and that is unfortunate. Doing something like a farrier requires a certain skill set and tools, while doing teamster requires not only a special skill set, but a serious outlay (time and money) in animals, harness, and equipment. The telegrapher impression is much more "doable" for those of us who lack certain 19th c. skills.
    Warren Dickinson

Currently a History Hippy at South Union Shaker Village
    Member of the original Pickett's Mill Interpretive Volunteer Staff & Co. D, 17th Ky Vol. Inf
    Former Mudsill
    Co-Creator of the States Rights Guard in '92

Comment

There is a group in Indiana (mainstream) that has a telegraph set-up. While uniforms are not up to par, their telegraphy equipment is great, including mock-ups of period battery cells. They had it set up so that they could mimic signals (messages) coming in to the telegraph. Another group in the state is looking into this, as well.

If you'd like, I could try to find contact information and put you in-touch with folks.

I agree, an interesting perspective on the war that is almost completely unrepresented.
      John Wickett
      Former Carpetbagger
      Administrator (We got rules here! Be Nice - Sign Your Name - No Farbisms)

Comment

Hallo!

If only my mother had not thrown away my Lionel Famous Inventor Series - Morse Telegraph set (Model #3104).

;) :)

Seriously, having grown up listening to my father's incessant amateur radio 'beepsing" as my mother called it, there were times I thought of that impression.

Stop.

Curt
        Curt Schmidt
        In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
        -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
        -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
        -Vastly Ignorant
        -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

... --- ..- -. -.. ... .-.. .. -.- . .- --. --- --- -.. .. -.. . .- .-.-.-
          Ron Moen
          Co.A, First Texas Infantry (Retired)
          CWPT
          E Clampus Vitus

Comment

It is a good idea. I am thinking of doing that now as I am getting somewhat long in the tooth and will let the young kids go out in the field. A friened of mine in the Confederate camp has a signal corps set up and I will be looking to him for help. I have several keys and sounders plus enough period type insulators to set up the wires so they look like they actually go somewhere. There is also a way to hook up original syle looking batteries and a power source so it looks like messages are coming in. This is done by use of a amateur radio HT and I am also a Amateur Radio Operator so it would be possible for me. There is still a bit of work to get everything set up, but I think it will be fun and something that is not seen all of the time.
            Pvt. Rudy Norvelle
            20th Maine Vol Inf Co. G
            Third Brigade, First Divison, Fifth Corps
            Army of the Potomac

Comment

Working...
            X