Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best generic confederate trousers?

Howdy all,
    So, being new to progressive re-enacting and such, I'm working on a generic confederate impression, eastern more so than western.
    What do you folks think the most generic confederate trouser type would be? Military trousers? If so, depot, issue, years, color, material, etc.
    Or would civilian trousers be the best choice if one is going for as generic as possible? And if so, material, colors, construction, etc.

Thanks in advance for the feedback!
    Jory Maloney

Re: Best generic confederate trousers?

Jory,

Most CS issue trousers were adopted from civilian patterns. The gov't tailors in Richmond or Columbus or Memphis didn't invent trouser patterns. It has become somewhat of a "reenactorism" that mule ear pockets have been dubbed ANV trousers and side seam "AOT" mainly due to Childs' terminology. However, a brief look through CS Echoes of glory will show "mule ear" and "side seam" being used by men in all theatres. I'd recommend buying the best pair you can afford. CS trousers are pretty universal. A good pair in light grey or tan should have you covered for most scenarions. I like Childs' "confederate" trousers myself. very comfortable pattern.
    Last edited by FloridaConscript; 07-30-2011, 11:31 PM.
    Bryant Roberts
    Palmetto Guards/WIG/LR

Interested in the Palmetto Guards?
    palmettoguards@gmail.com

Comment

What Bryant said, I could not agree more. I examined a couple of original civilian trousers from before the war, and there really wasn't much difference between them and "issue" trousers in my very humble opinion.
      Warren Dickinson

Currently a History Hippy at South Union Shaker Village
      Member of the original Pickett's Mill Interpretive Volunteer Staff & Co. D, 17th Ky Vol. Inf
      Former Mudsill
      Co-Creator of the States Rights Guard in '92

Comment

Personal opinion, but Child's "Other Issue" trouser pattern is the most comfortable I have yet to wear. They have a slight taper in the leg and a crotch/seat cut comparable to "loose fit" modern denim jeans.
        Scott House

Comment

Working...
        X