Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whip-Stitching a CS Blanket

OK pards, dullard boy has a question:

I got a Childs CS blanket, but it needs the ends stitched.

- I assume wool yarn of some type would be best to do this?

- If so, what gauge?

- I have no originals near me, to the best of my knowledge, but if someone can give me some pointers etc. on this, I'd sure appreciate it.

TIA!
    Warren Dickinson

Currently a History Hippy at South Union Shaker Village
    Member of the original Pickett's Mill Interpretive Volunteer Staff & Co. D, 17th Ky Vol. Inf
    Former Mudsill
    Co-Creator of the States Rights Guard in '92

Re: Whip-Stitching a CS Blanket

Just curious which Charlie Childs CS blanket you got. Most of the ones I've seen are fulled wool, and there is no need for binding the edge.

Paul B.
    Paul B. Boulden Jr.

RAH VA MIL '04
    (Loblolly Mess)
    [URL="http://23rdva.netfirms.com/welcome.htm"]23rd VA Vol. Regt.[/URL]
    [URL="http://www.virginiaregiment.org/The_Virginia_Regiment/Home.html"]Waggoner's Company of the Virginia Regiment [/URL]

[URL="http://www.military-historians.org/"]Company of Military Historians[/URL]
    [URL="http://www.moc.org/site/PageServer"]Museum of the Confederacy[/URL]
    [URL="http://www.historicsandusky.org/index.html"]Historic Sandusky [/URL]

Inscription Capt. Archibold Willet headstone:

"A span is all that we can boast, An inch or two of time, Man is but vanity and dust, In all his flower and prime."

Comment

Hmmm Paul, I'm not sure. Just bought it, and it is a woven blanket, copied off of one with provenance of being carried at Gettysburg. I don't know if it has a "name", LOL, like the Auggie Weissert blanket, etc.

I can post a pic if it would help.
      Warren Dickinson

Member of the original Pickett's Mill Interpretive Volunteer Staff & Co. D, 17th Ky Vol. Inf
      Former Mudsill

Comment

I would recommend unravelling some of the yarn off of the blanket itself and using that for the binding.
        Cody Mobley

Texas Ground Hornets
        Texas State Troops

[HOUSTON] TRI-WEEKLY TELEGRAPH, October 28, 1863,

Wanted.

All ladies in Houston and surrounding counties who have cloth on hand, which they can spare, are requested to donate it to the ladies of Crockett for the purpose of making petticoats for the Minute Men of this county, who have "backed out" of the service. We think the petticoat more suitable for them in these times.

Comment

Do what Cody says, but use a blanket stitch instead of a whip stitch. It will hold the edge better.
          Greg Swank
          49th IN Co. F
          Tanglefoot Mess

Comment

Thanks pards. Now that y'all mentioned pulling some from the edge, I remember someone telling me that years ago. Thanks!
            Warren Dickinson

Former Mudsill

Comment

Originally posted by Stonewall_Greyfox View Post
              Just curious which Charlie Childs CS blanket you got. Most of the ones I've seen are fulled wool, and there is no need for binding the edge.

Paul B.
              I think he called it the "Gettysburg blanket". Anyway I have one too, and its doing the same unravel bit.
              Robert Johnson

"Them fellers out thar you ar goin up against, ain't none of the blue-bellied, white-livered Yanks and sassidge-eatin'forrin' hirelin's you have in Virginny that run atthe snap of a cap - they're Western fellers, an' they'll mighty quick give you a bellyful o' fightin."

In memory of: William Garry Co.H 5th USCC KIA 10/2/64 Saltville VA.

Comment

A Few Thoughts:
                1) How are the ends of the original finished, if at all? Are there other documented CS issue blankets with the ends bound? IIRC, most of the Fed blankets out there with bound ends had them bound post-war. For our impessions, we want to use our gear and maintain it as "The Old Fellows" did, even though we hold it much more dearly than they might have.

2) Whip Stitch: With this stitch, the ends of the blanket would be folded under (aka "rolled"), then the rolling held in-place by the whip stitch.

3) Blanket stitch: This would be used to bind the raw edge, without "rolling" the end first.
                John Wickett
                Former Carpetbagger
                Administrator (We got rules here! Be Nice - Sign Your Name - No Farbisms)

Comment

Great point John, and to be honest, I don't know since I haven't seen the original from which this blanket was copied. I would very much welcome more knowledge in this area.
                  I very much agree with your statement of "we want to use our gear and maintain it as "The Old Fellows" did, even though we hold it much more dearly than they might have." However, bottom line for me is this: I paid my hard-earned dollar for the blanket rather than having it issued to me by the gov't. I cannot requisition another one. Some things, if worn out, torn up, etc., are more easily replaced than others, and it seems that good blankets have always traded at a premium whether it is now or over 20 years ago.
                  Warren Dickinson

Former Mudsill

Comment

Warren, just let it unravel and look ragged..... Your average soldier could give two bits whether or not their blanket was unraveling or not. It's only going to unravel a few inches on each side anyway. Also I've seen more original blankets without stitching on the ends than with.

Just my two cents, for what it's worth......
                    [FONT="Georgia"][SIZE="5"]Eric Davis
                    Handsome Company Mess
                    Liberty Hall Drum Corps [/SIZE][/FONT]

Comment

Well, that would be the easier option, huh? I do realize that a soldier would care less, I know, because I have been that soldier, LOL! I just don't want to end up with a ball of yarn in 2-3 years though. ;)
                      Warren Dickinson

Former Mudsill

Comment

"I would recommend unravelling some of the yarn off of the blanket itself and using that for the binding. "

"just let it unravel and look ragged..... Your average soldier could give two bits whether or not their blanket was unraveling or not"

Both of these are good suggestions. How I approach this question is what would the soldiers have on hand if that soldier would decide to bound his blankie. I have used thread I carry in my housewife and did it at a living history for something to do.

Why do this project on your couch when you can always have that spectator interaction while doing it at an event. You could even talk about how your previous blanket was so shoddy that it near came apart on its own and now that you have just been issued a new one, you are "bound" (yup pun intended) to not let it happen again.

Enjoy your new snuggle sucky blankie Linus!
                        Brad Ireland
                        Old Line Mess
                        4th VA CO. A
                        SWB

Comment

Originally posted by dixieflyer View Post
                          I very much agree with your statement of "we want to use our gear and maintain it as "The Old Fellows" did, even though we hold it much more dearly than they might have." However, bottom line for me is this: I paid my hard-earned dollar for the blanket rather than having it issued to me by the gov't. I cannot requisition another one. Some things, if worn out, torn up, etc., are more easily replaced than others, and it seems that good blankets have always traded at a premium whether it is now or over 20 years ago.
                          If you're concerned about the potential for "reenactorism" of binding the blanket, you could always just use it for a little while. If unravelling becomes an issue, then bind it up. If not, no sweat.

I have owned the CRC Fed blanket, Abe Thomas, Woodburn, and a few others and not had an issue with unravelling. You might not, either.

Just a thought.
                          John Wickett
                          Former Carpetbagger
                          Administrator (We got rules here! Be Nice - Sign Your Name - No Farbisms)

Comment

Warren,
                            I have a red with blue end stripes Child's blanket that I've used for the past 4 years, the ends are un-bound and the ravelling stopped by without my help after about an inch.
                            Cody Mobley

Texas Ground Hornets
                            Texas State Troops

[HOUSTON] TRI-WEEKLY TELEGRAPH, October 28, 1863,

Wanted.

All ladies in Houston and surrounding counties who have cloth on hand, which they can spare, are requested to donate it to the ladies of Crockett for the purpose of making petticoats for the Minute Men of this county, who have "backed out" of the service. We think the petticoat more suitable for them in these times.

Comment

Good point Brad. I already have a coverlet that needs repairs that I plan to make at Perilous Times. Otherwise, being the lazy man I am, I think I'll wait and just see what happens naturally. Thanks for all the helpful advice, etc. pards.
                              Warren Dickinson

Former Mudsill

Comment

Working...
                              X