Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tarred U.S. Haversack Question

All,
    Was able to acquire a used haversack from a pard. It's great, but the strap is a bit long for me for my tastes. I sold off my Don Rademacher haversack many years ago, but never measured the strap thinking I would no longer have need of that information.
    Could one of you kind souls who still has a Don Rademacher haversack take a measurement of the length of your strap for me please so that I can modify my current haversack strap?

Thanks for your help!
    Warren Dickinson

Currently a History Hippy at South Union Shaker Village
    Member of the original Pickett's Mill Interpretive Volunteer Staff & Co. D, 17th Ky Vol. Inf
    Former Mudsill
    Co-Creator of the States Rights Guard in '92

Re: Tarred U.S. Haversack Question

Mine is 44.5". Thats from the top of the bag.
    Robert Johnson

"Them fellers out thar you ar goin up against, ain't none of the blue-bellied, white-livered Yanks and sassidge-eatin'forrin' hirelin's you have in Virginny that run atthe snap of a cap - they're Western fellers, an' they'll mighty quick give you a bellyful o' fightin."

In memory of: William Garry Co.H 5th USCC KIA 10/2/64 Saltville VA.

Comment

Hallo!

Not the question you asked, but...

Would you not want the same length strap as the originals rather than a repro? ;)

(I had a DR haversack once with the opposite problem. He made the strap so short the top of the bag was 3-4 inches belong my armpit- and I am but 5' 10".)
      Curt Schmidt
      In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
      -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
      -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
      -Vastly Ignorant
      -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

Valid point Curt, sounds like there was considerable variance in don's reproductions that I was not aware of. I did not notice this in the ones my friends acquired from him. That puts a whole new spin on things. My twisted logic was this:

- When Don made my haversack for me back in '88, we had a discussion regarding the original from which it was copied to include the strap.

- I do not know the provenance of this bag, so have no idea if the strap is right or wrong.

So, as a default, I was just going to modify this one to resemble my old one which I knew* was copied off of an original. However, your remark makes me wonder now.

Robert, thanks for the quick measurement!

* Assuming don R. wasn't blowing me smoke in his description, etc. and I have no reason to think he was.
        Warren Dickinson

Member of the original Pickett's Mill Interpretive Volunteer Staff & Co. D, 17th Ky Vol. Inf
        Former Mudsill

Comment

Hi Warren,

I have an original unmodified (probably unissued) haversack whose strap measures 37 inches between each point of attachment to the top of the haversack body. (The entire strap is 39 inches) My Rademacher measures 43 inches between attachment points. Some variation is expected, so draw you own conclusions.

Paul McKee
          Paul McKee

Comment

Thanks Paul. If nothing else, that gives me a range to work with, which is what I need.
            Warren Dickinson

Former Mudsill

Comment

Working...
            X