Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I need assistance

Pards,

I am trying to start a confederate impression and am looking to make my own Richmond Depot shell jacket (prefferably a mid-war type impression). Would a type one or type two be more proper (I've heard type ones were around early 1862)? Any tips on how it's done (overall construction) and places to find materials would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
    Chris Driscoll
    Pvt. Chris Driscoll

Re: I need assistance

If I was you, I wouldn't be so quick to start sewing. First, I'd do some reading. Follow this link : http://www.zipcon.net/~silas/links.htm#N_12_ Review Les Jensen's articles, then consider what you're trying to portray. Is the jacket for events done by your local unit, for ANV type events or is it just something you want? Another thing to do is look at the many uniforms in the Time/Life book, Echoes of Glory.

Once you have an idea what it is you are trying to create, purchase a decent pattern. I'm rather fond of patterns from Charlie Childs.

As for fabric, Charlie sells fabric so does Wambaugh and White. I've purchased from both and been quite happy with the fabric purchased as well as the service. Ben Tart has some dandy fabric, also. I haven't looked, but Charlie and W&W have produced kits which can cut down on your research.
    Silas Tackitt,
    one of the moderators.

Click here for a link to forum rules - or don't at your own peril.

Comment

Well Said Silas. This question is not easily answered as the Confederate impression is such a "well, that depends" sort of situation. I agree with Silas that it is not a good idea to jump in to sewing your own Confederate garments unless you have prior experience. The investment is considerable and you only have one shot to get it right (when assembling your own kit). I would scrub these forums, and follow Silas's advice to consult the resources he mentioned. There is a wealth of knowledge on here in past posts which may answer the questions you have and then some.
      V/R
      [FONT="Palatino Linotype"][SIZE="5"]Brandon L. Jolly[/SIZE][/FONT]

Comment

Thanks for the info guys that'll help a lot! I have had some prior sewing experience so that won't be too much of a problem for me. Silas, this would be more towards just a fun project for me and if I can wear it out in the field that would be a plus. Thanks again.
        Regards,
        Chris Driscoll
        Pvt. Chris Driscoll

Comment

Always a good idea to start with a "muslin" until you work out the kinks. Can do all of the main seams on machine pretty quickly so not much material or effort to lose there.

Comment

Working...
          X