Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Correct Buttons for Shirt & Trousers

Hello!

I've got a generic muslin machine sewn shirt that HAD pewter/tin buttons. I'm sure you are familair with the type. I've also got a pair of sky blue trousers with the same pewter/tin buttons. My problem is that the metal buttons have cut throught the thread and I have lost many of the them.

I was hoping to replace the shirt buttons with pearl and the trousers buttons (fly & suspender) with wood. However, I thought I ask over here first to see what others have done when they needed to replace buttons.

Thanks,
    Terry
    Terry Dull - CW Reenactor
    142nd PVI, HQ - Dull, Samuel Sgt Maj, Co. H - Daniel 1st Lt, Romanus Sgt, Walter Pvt, Co. D - George Pvt
    6th PA Heavy Artillery, Battery K - Dull, Uriah Pvt, Jacob Pvt, William Pvt

Re: Correct Buttons for Shirt & Trousers

Need more info!

depending on your impression and the period mfg'r of the items; eg contractor, home made, arsenal produced etc.

Are the items civilian in nature or martial?

Union or Confederate?

Early mid or late war?

The possibilities are many.

Start with some research then appropriate materials. A few examples of materials are paper-backed tin, bone, glass, china, brass, pewter or rubber.
    [FONT=Times New Roman][COLOR=DarkSlateGray][SIZE=3]Michael Phillips, GGG Grandson of
    Pvt Edmond Phillips, 44th NCT, Co E, "The Turtle Paws"[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=2]Mustered in March 1862
    Paroled at Appomattox C.H. Virginia, April 15, 1865[/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3][COLOR=Navy][B]"Good, now we'll have news from Hell before breakfast."[/B][/COLOR][/SIZE]
    Was Gen Sherman's response upon hearing the capture and execution of 3 reporters who had followed from Atlanta, by the rebels.
    The execution part turned out to be false.[COLOR=DarkRed] [B]Dagg Nabbit![/B][/COLOR][/FONT]

Comment

Originally posted by Prodical Reb View Post
      Start with some research then appropriate materials. A few examples of materials are paper-backed tin, bone, glass, china, brass, pewter or rubber.
      Ummm ... rubber? I never would have guessed. I didn't see wood mentioned, so I guess that wouldn't be acceptable.

To answer some of your questions ...

Union
      Trousers are Federal Sky Blue Issue
      Shirt is the unbleached muslin "Issue" Shirt
      Time period should be early war, as that will be acceptable up to the end of the war.

Thanks!
      142nd PVI, HQ - Dull, Samuel Sgt Maj, Co. H - Daniel 1st Lt, Romanus Sgt, Walter Pvt, Co. D - George Pvt

Comment

He's referring to hard rubber or gutta percha - a common button for civilian clothes in the mid-nineteenth century (also Berdan S-shooter buttons). Sounds like you need paper-backed tin buttons on your trousers and a new shirt.
        Garrett W. Silliman

[I]Don't Float the Mainstream[/I]
        [SIZE="1"]-Sweetwater Brewing Company, Atlanta, GA[/SIZE]

Comment

Originally posted by Garrett Silliman View Post
          Sounds like you need paper-backed tin buttons on your trousers and a new shirt.
          Thanks ... You've been a big help. I'm trying to improve my authenticity one small step at a time.

Comment

Im not familiar with what was initially put on the garments....but as buttons werer lost, otheres werer replaced...don't forget glass, bone, pearl,tauga(nut) horn, all of these were used on civiliian clothing and would have been available. In a large stash of buttons I purchased this summer, I even found round gutta percha buttons that are painted various colors. In that case you wouldn;t be aware of the material unless you scraped the paint from one. :(
            Vivian Murphy

Comment

There were no muslin "issue" shirts issued by the US Gov. during the war as far as I know. If you have a plain white muslin shirt search for mother of pearl or bone buttons. US Issue trousers were equipped with tin buttons not pewter buttons.
              Jan H.Berger
              Hornist

German Mess
              http://germanmess.de/

www.lederarsenal.com

"Und setzet ihr nicht das Leben ein, nie wird euch das Leben gewonnen sein."( Friedrich Schiller)

Comment

Originally posted by J.H.Berger View Post
                There were no muslin "issue" shirts issued by the US Gov. during the war ....
                Thanks! Yes, the Sulter told me it was an "issue" shirt ... which is why I put it in quotes in my first post, I knew it wasn't. I do know that an actual issued Federal shirt was some kind of awful gray wool thing that would make an elephant itchy ...

I'd like to thank everyone for their input ... I've ordered some paper-backed tin buttons for my trousers and have decided on pearl buttons for the shirt.

Comment

Terry, wool shirts are not as awfull itchy as you might think. If you want to portray the common Union soldier and if you ant to get a feeling how it was like you should simply wear what they wore back then.
                  I agree that issue shirts are terrible in the summer but for fall, spring andwinter they are fine!
                  Jan H.Berger
                  Hornist

German Mess
                  http://germanmess.de/

www.lederarsenal.com

"Und setzet ihr nicht das Leben ein, nie wird euch das Leben gewonnen sein."( Friedrich Schiller)

Comment

Originally posted by tjdull View Post
                    I do know that an actual issued Federal shirt was some kind of awful gray wool thing that would make an elephant itchy ...
                    I wear an issue shirt made of domet wool flannel with a period undershirt, its not bad at all. I even where the shirt in the summer when most others won't even think about it.

BTW sutler row "sutlers" are scammers that will tell you any kind of lie just to get you to buy their crap!! Not that every sutler on the "row" sells inauthentic stuff, most do however.

Pards,
                    Andrew Schultz

Possum Skinners Mess

Buzzards Mess

Comment

I would suggest that in the future you try to purchase as mauch as your gear as possible from the Authentic Campaigner Apprved Vendors list, or on the Military Buy, Sell, Trade Forum. All reputable, all correct.
                      Tom "Mingo" Machingo
                      Independent Rifles, Weevil's Mess

Vixi Et Didici

"I think and highly hope that this war will end this year, and Oh then what a happy time we will have. No need of writing then but we can talk and talk again, and my boy can talk to me and I will never tire of listening to him and he will want to go with me everywhere I go, and I will be certain to let him go if there is any possible chance."
                      Marion Hill Fitzpatrick
                      Company K, 45th Georgia Infantry
                      KIA Petersburg, Virginia

Comment

.... A few examples of materials are paper-backed tin, bone, glass, china, brass, pewter or rubber.
                        Originally posted by tjdull View Post
                        Ummm ... rubber? I never would have guessed. I didn't see wood mentioned, so I guess that wouldn't be acceptable.

To answer some of your questions ...

Union
                        Trousers are Federal Sky Blue Issue
                        Shirt is the unbleached muslin "Issue" Shirt
                        Time period should be early war, as that will be acceptable up to the end of the war.

Thanks!

Terry,
                        If you look I said a "few examples..." wood is approriate for some impressions but not others. I just didn't list it is as there are many materials available in today's marketplace. I also didn't list pocelain, horn, mother of pearl, copper, seashell and silver. There are still more materials not listed!

I just wanted to impress upon you that some research or more research is needed. Then choose what is most correct and available.

example: Ivory was widely used material in the 1800s used for various items. However it is illegal to harvest, used or even possess in today's world. A substitute material would have to be used unless you wanted to pay a large fine & possible jail time.

Libraries are a great place to start research and cost is very minimal or even free.
                        [FONT=Times New Roman][COLOR=DarkSlateGray][SIZE=3]Michael Phillips, GGG Grandson of
                        Pvt Edmond Phillips, 44th NCT, Co E, "The Turtle Paws"[/SIZE]
                        [SIZE=2]Mustered in March 1862
                        Paroled at Appomattox C.H. Virginia, April 15, 1865[/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3][COLOR=Navy][B]"Good, now we'll have news from Hell before breakfast."[/B][/COLOR][/SIZE]
                        Was Gen Sherman's response upon hearing the capture and execution of 3 reporters who had followed from Atlanta, by the rebels.
                        The execution part turned out to be false.[COLOR=DarkRed] [B]Dagg Nabbit![/B][/COLOR][/FONT]

Comment

Then choose what is most correct and available.
                          Thank you all, very kindly.

@Prodical Reb => It is that exact issue that plagues me. The most correct and available.

When it comes to uniforms, headgear, weapons, brogans, etc ... photo documentation & unit histories are ez to find and to use in improving my impression. It is the esoteric minutia … like buttons … that drive me to drink.

So, rather than turning to the jug of rum I keep on the back porch, I stop in to the Authentic Campaigner to ask what others have done before me.

While I will never be a progressive authentic campaigner, I will always be looking to improve my impression and I thank all here for their sage advice with the details.

Comment

If it comes to your issue with rum I recommend: http://www.aa.org/ (Woring for me!)

When it comes to your impression I recommend, A. Read first hand accounts, B. Look at period photographs , C. Dig into the search function on this site. You will learn allot. D. Don't ever buy anything from a "sutler".
                            Last edited by hireddutchcutthroat; 11-11-2011, 03:14 PM.
                            Robert Johnson

"Them fellers out thar you ar goin up against, ain't none of the blue-bellied, white-livered Yanks and sassidge-eatin'forrin' hirelin's you have in Virginny that run atthe snap of a cap - they're Western fellers, an' they'll mighty quick give you a bellyful o' fightin."

In memory of: William Garry Co.H 5th USCC KIA 10/2/64 Saltville VA.

Comment

"While I will never be a progressive authentic campaigner, I will always be looking to improve my impression and I thank all here for their sage advice with the details."
                              Sir,
                              I belive unless I misunderstand the meaning of the term "progressive" you are just that, by the desire to improve and find out how to do it right. Perhaps it will not even be long before you are saving up for that grey dommit flanel shirt. As for the rum well I agree with Robert. Good luck and as I do read, read, read. Just my 2bits.
                              [FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"]Roy N. Maddox[/FONT]

Comment

Working...
                              X