Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: sheet metal frying pans

All,
    I recently picked up a small antique "sheet iron" frying pan but have some concerns in regards to the accuracy of the handle. The handle is one piece rivited to the body, but looks to be made of made of "sheet iron" like the base and not "wrought iron" like many describe as being correct. Is the handle in the following pictures period correct for wartime use? Thanks in advance for your time and help.

Click image for larger version

Name:	FRY_PAN1.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	524.0 KB
ID:	223530Click image for larger version

Name:	FRY_PAN2.JPG
Size:	1.63 MB
ID:	223531Click image for larger version

Name:	FRY_PAN3.JPG
Size:	507.7 KB
ID:	223532
    Respectfully,
    Jon Bocek

~ The Dandy Man Mess / WA / VLH / LR ~

Comment

Well thanks for bursting my bubble. I just went and pulled out the original cold handled pan I had been using that I thought had a date of 1860 stamped into it but on closer inspection it looked to be a very worn 1880. sigh...........
      Robert Collett
      8th FL / 13th IN
      Armory Guards
      WIG

Comment

I just bought an one on ebay for $3 plus shipping! Looks just like one in artifacts photo and has no pour v. They are out there if you look. Jim Hensley
        [FONT="Century Gothic"][/FONT][FONT="Georgia"][/FONT][FONT="Book Antiqua"]Jim Hensley[/FONT]
        Order of Heptasophs 1852

Comment

Originally posted by poilu1917 View Post
          All,
          I recently picked up a small antique "sheet iron" frying pan but have some concerns in regards to the accuracy of the handle. The handle is one piece rivited to the body, but looks to be made of made of "sheet iron" like the base and not "wrought iron" like many describe as being correct. Is the handle in the following pictures period correct for wartime use? Thanks in advance for your time and help.
          What you have is a french sauce pan handle. I can't find all my documentation right now but I can date that handle back to the 1850's. There probably should be more of these out in the field since they were being stamped out in mass production vs custom forged handles, in my opinion.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Sauce pan handle.jpg
Size:	97.9 KB
ID:	223550

Pat Cunningham

Comment

Bully! Thanks for the info Pat. I am glad this one is a "keeper" as it fits very nicely into the haversack and works great on the fire.
            Respectfully,
            Jon Bocek

~ The Dandy Man Mess / WA / VLH / LR ~

Comment

Got mine at an antique mall.
              David Fox

Comment

I've upgraded a couple of "Cool Handle" frying pans. I got a blacksmith to make the new handles. I showed him the frying pan, so he could put the correct angle on the attachment lug. There are plenty of photos of frying pan handles to use for a pattern.

I cut the cool handle off with a hack saw. Be sure to leave yourself a little extra metal on the pan. The cool handle extends down into the pan and you need to pound that out, using a hammer and anvil. After you are satisified with the side of the pan, clean up the edge with a file. Attach your new handle to the pan with a "C" clamp. Then drilll a hole through the handle and pan. The hole should be the the exact size of your tinner's rivets, to avoid any leaks. Attach the handle to the pan with that first rivet. I put the rivet through the pan and peened it down from the handle side. I don't know if that is period correct, or not. After getting the handle attached, drill one or two more holes and put in the rivets. On one pan, I did a triangle, two rivets on top, one on the bottom . Just two on the other, one high, one low. That depends on the width of the handle lug.

That's all there is to it. About an hour job, after you get your new handle.
                Bill Rodman, King of Prussia, PA

Comment

Well I offer sheet iron frying pans with rivited sheet iron handle. I have two left in stock. http://www.lederarsenal.com/en/pages...ing-pan-89.php
                  I can also make these with a forged iron handle but that costs more.
                  Jan H.Berger
                  Hornist

German Mess
                  http://germanmess.de/

www.lederarsenal.com

"Und setzet ihr nicht das Leben ein, nie wird euch das Leben gewonnen sein."( Friedrich Schiller)

Comment

Working...
                  X