sheet metal frying pans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sheet metal frying pans

I did a search for this on here, but I think the information was somehow lost:

Is there anything other than this article: http://www.140thny.org/freshfish/fryingpans.html regarding sheet metal frying pans being period/non-period? I can't seem to narrow-down any threads that discuss this on here. Looking specifically for designs that were pre-/postwar as well as patents that might have been period.

Thanks for the research help- JLLO
    Johnny Lloyd
    John "Johnny" Lloyd
    Think before you post... Rules on this forum here
    SCAR
    Known to associate with the following fine groups: WIG/AG/CR

"Without history, there can be no research standards.
    Without research standards, there can be no authenticity.
    Without the attempt at authenticity, all is just a fantasy.
    Fantasy is not history nor heritage, because it never really existed." -Me

Proud descendant of...

Re: sheet metal frying pans

If by "sheet-metal frying pans" you mean a sheet-metal pan body with a solid steel handle riveted in place; then yes, I'm fairly certain they were around during the mid 19th Cent.

Here is just one example from Jim Mayo's wonderful site:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Frypan.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	70.7 KB
ID:	222693
    "Lucky was the soldier who had a small fry pan or a mess mate with one so that raw ration meat could be cooked when on the march. The label on this pan reads "Carried through the Civil War 1861-65 in General Grants Army of the Potomac, by James Warren Williams, 126th Reg't Company C, O.V.I. Enlisted at Columbus, OH at 19 years old, Discharged 1865." Compliments of John Fable."

I seem to recall a few showing up in Lord's Encyclopedia as well, but I don't have it in front of me to verify.

Now, if you're referring to a one piece sheet-metal pan +handle with a pressed reinforcement of the handle, like this:

Name:	ptinskilletlarge.gif
Size:	9.0 KB
ID:	222694

...I haven't ever seen one of those in a book or museum being described as from the period.

You might also contact the White Oak Museum in VA on this subject.

Hope this helps,
    Randall Pierson

Comment

Thanks, Randall. This is the kind of research I was looking for. Keep it up. The question is are 1-piece sheet metal pans period-correct... sounds to me no, but who knows if pans could have existed then. A patent date would be helpful... this is kind of like the jar and packaging issue. Just when you think it didn't exist, then you find proof that it did in the unlikeliest of places.
      Johnny Lloyd
      John "Johnny" Lloyd
      SCAR

Proud descendant of...

Comment

Weren't there a bunch of pans on the steamship Arabia wreck? I thought I remember seeing some examples there.
        Rob Bruno
        1st MD Cav
        http://1stmarylandcavalry.com

Comment

Look at the top of the image (IMG_4580W.JPG) Matt posted (post #56) on the Arabia thread...

You will see a bunch of what looks like sheet metal pans with riveted handles on them.

I found it not too difficult to make and rivet a replacement handle for a one-piece pan bought at a sutler. The attached photo shows the re-worked pan I did for a friend.

Kevin Dally
          PS. oops, not sure why I got 2 pics loaded!
          Attached Files
          Kevin Dally

Comment

I have a book on Rev. war items and sheet iron fry pans are featured. Some have spider legs , some don't, point is that sheet iron fry pans have been around a long time. I have thought of making a few and riviting on handles , but have not gotten the motivation as yet. "Collectr's Illustrated Encyclpedia of the American Revolution" by George C. Neumann plm
            Save me a place at the fire,

Paul L Muller

Comment

Kevin,
              Do you have any guidance on the "not to difficult" replacement handle? I have a nice pan I found among my fathers items, but the handle needs the upgrade. Would like to make this the winter project, if it is possible for someone with little knowledge of these sorts to make happen?
              JOSHUA MANN
              121st Ohio Vol.
              Yo Mess

Comment

As I recall, in an older thread which may have been lost by now, someone mentioned that period frying pans didn't have the slight pouring spout (the shallow V indentation) on one side, that one sees on modern pans. Anyone have comments on that? My old pan, which is otherwise a good reproduction, has the spout, and I'm hoping it'll burn through, get lost, or something so I can justify replacing it. But I'm curious if that's true and if so, anyone getting a new reproduction might want to avoid the spout.

Anyone seen the spout on an original?

Hank Trent
                hanktrent@gmail.com
                Hank Trent

Comment

Originally posted by cavscout148 View Post
                  Kevin,
                  Do you have any guidance on the "not to difficult" replacement handle? I have a nice pan I found among my fathers items, but the handle needs the upgrade. Would like to make this the winter project, if it is possible for someone with little knowledge of these sorts to make happen?
                  Talk to Lewis Robinson of the Armory Guard on here. He is doing this for me for 2 frying pans.

The unibody frying pan is called a "cold handle" frying pan and is postwar, but many skinner-row sutlers sell them.
                  Johnny Lloyd
                  John "Johnny" Lloyd
                  SCAR

Proud descendant of...

Comment

Johnny,
                    here is a folding handle frying pan that is on display at Bennett Place in NC. If you look carefully there is a tab that the ring clips to opposite the handle. Hope this helps!

Name:	2008 Bennett Place LH 001.jpg
Size:	688.3 KB
ID:	222698
                    [FONT=Times New Roman][COLOR=DarkSlateGray][SIZE=3]Michael Phillips, GGG Grandson of
                    Pvt Edmond Phillips, 44th NCT, Co E, "The Turtle Paws"[/SIZE]
                    [SIZE=2]Mustered in March 1862
                    Paroled at Appomattox C.H. Virginia, April 15, 1865[/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3][COLOR=Navy][B]"Good, now we'll have news from Hell before breakfast."[/B][/COLOR][/SIZE]
                    Was Gen Sherman's response upon hearing the capture and execution of 3 reporters who had followed from Atlanta, by the rebels.
                    The execution part turned out to be false.[COLOR=DarkRed] [B]Dagg Nabbit![/B][/COLOR][/FONT]

Comment

The earliest patent date that I could fine on the "cool/cold handle" skillets is November of 1876.
                      Lewis M Robinson Jr
                      Armory Guards
                      Snake Nation Disciples

"They were the dirtiest men I ever saw. A most ragged lean and hungry set of wolves. Yet there was a dash about them that the northern men lacked." Maryland Resident upon seeing the Confederate Army

Comment

The correct frying pan in the Watchdog article looks exactly like the frying pans that Gary Pierce of Mississippi made in the late 1980's.

Dan Stewart

Comment

Thanks for the references. Obviously, the unibody "cold handle" frying pan is postwar. Don't know about the with/without spout-thing being postwar, though.
                          Johnny Lloyd
                          John "Johnny" Lloyd
                          SCAR

Proud descendant of...

Comment

Johnny, here's a late-war patent for something that looks quite a bit like a 20th century mess kit: http://www.google.com/patents?id=RR4...page&q&f=false

...and check out the frying pan portion of the Blakeslee mess kit: http://www.google.com/patents?id=mig...A46210&f=false
                            Michael A. Schaffner

Comment

Hey Johnny, not sure you're looking for pictures of period originals...but here's one just in case: See bottom right hand corner

There is a thread on here somewhere (Hank will be of more help i'm sure) comparing frying pans to skillets. It may have been shut down or something for "my granny said" comments but I remember reading several really well documented posts from Hank about the pour spout and the shape making it differ from a pan to skillet. It may prove helpful in your search.

This is it: http://www.authentic-campaigner.com/...ry+pan+skillet
                              Last edited by lukegilly13; 12-22-2011, 05:10 PM. Reason: adding thread link
                              Luke Gilly
                              Breckinridge Greys
                              Lodge 661 F&AM

"May the grass grow long on the road to hell." --an Irish toast

Comment

Working...
                              X