Proper Enfield sling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Proper Enfield sling

After seeing the British Army Enfield sling for sale by Orchard Hill I remembered reading something about them on one of the discussions here, but can't seem to find it. How common were these? Would these be appropriate for aboth Northern and Southern use? Would they be more appropriate then the normal linen/leather Southern sling and Springfield type Northern sling? I know we have some real Enfield expertise around these forums (Geoff, you out there?), and would like your input/insight.

Thanks a lot,
    Rick Rachal

Re: Proper Enfield sling

Rick
    If this works a picture of the sling should show up in this post. If it doesn’t work you can look at the sling by going to this address. http://members.verizon.net/%7Evze3jhwa/Sling2.jpg It was generally agreed that the sling that would have come with a British Enfield, if it came with the musket would be black rough out leather. It attached by a leather lace at the lower sling swivel and looped through the upper swivel. There wasn’t any hook just some leather keepers.
    Terry :)
    Attached Files

Comment

There was more than one type of British sling. Some had buckles, some had 2 leather keepers, and unless I'm mistaken here, all had 4 holes and a leather lace that tied around the lower swivel. The kind with leather keepers is the only kind that I've seen in what few photos I've seen with identifiable English slings. Remember the black side goes out, and no they shouldn't be brown, or for that matter white. White buff was just as limited and expensive in England as it was here, and they kept it for their line regiments usage.

Comment

Originally posted by Clark Badgett
        There was more than one type of British sling. Some had buckles, some had 2 leather keepers, and unless I'm mistaken here, all had 4 holes and a leather lace that tied around the lower swivel. The kind with leather keepers is the only kind that I've seen in what few photos I've seen with identifiable English slings. Remember the black side goes out, and no they shouldn't be brown, or for that matter white. White buff was just as limited and expensive in England as it was here, and they kept it for their line regiments usage.
        The only English slings I have ever seen have had only two holes for the lacing. But you are right I have seen some with a brass buckle. But if there is anything I have learned in reenacting it is that one should never say "never or always" because a soon as you do someone will come along and prove the exception.
        Terry

Comment

Were the brown leather slings w/ a brass hook a Union contractor made item for the Enfield? I thought their providence had been established at some point to Union issued Enfields but had assumed they were English manufacture & sent w/ the rifle. Shows how little I know!
          Johan Steele aka Shane Christen C Co, 3rd MN VI
          SUVCW Camp 48
          American Legion Post 352
          [url]http://civilwartalk.com[/url]

Comment

Originally posted by Johan Steele
            Were the brown leather slings w/ a brass hook a Union contractor made item for the Enfield? I thought their providence had been established at some point to Union issued Enfields but had assumed they were English manufacture & sent w/ the rifle. Shows how little I know!
            Johan
            IMHO There were so many small outfits making supplies for the ACW both here and in England that it is impossible to say “never or always” and be sure you are always correct.
            Terry

Comment

The only real answer to this question is: is it based on an original sling with WBTS provinance.
              Robert Johnson

"Them fellers out thar you ar goin up against, ain't none of the blue-bellied, white-livered Yanks and sassidge-eatin'forrin' hirelin's you have in Virginny that run atthe snap of a cap - they're Western fellers, an' they'll mighty quick give you a bellyful o' fightin."

In memory of: William Garry Co.H 5th USCC KIA 10/2/64 Saltville VA.

Comment

I've seen an original rifle sling which was brown and had a brass buckle. Brown accoutrements of all sorts were standard issue for colonial troops and thus were readily available from the trade. Black accoutrements, with the grain out, were standard for Rifle Regiments. Since being a rifleman was about the sexiest thing you could be in the British army without a horse, most all the Volunteers (British version of militias, and forerunners of the British NRA) adopted Rifle Reg't accoutrements, even though they were mostly armed with the P53 rifle-musket. Much of what was purchased for shipment to the Americas was volunteer paraphernalia. Black or brown or black buff, I wouldn't be comfortable saying that any one of the three is the absolute correct answer for any imported accoutrement.

By the by, when referring to British accoutrements, 'buff' does not necessarily mean white buff, though it often did. It's just another way of saying the rough side of the leather is what shows. They used the terms 'buff', 'black buff', 'blackened buff', and 'whitened buff' for various pieces of equipment at various times.
                Michael McComas
                drudge-errant

Comment

I've seen brown English style slings also, often on Martini-Henrys and even Lee-Metfords. I do believe the Canadians used brown equipage for a time, (RCMP still does) and much of it has filtered over here and been labled as CS.

Comment

Working...
                  X