Prefrence

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Prefrence

I know that this forum has jad countless debates on whether or not the troops were issued knpasacks, and did confederates ditch thier bayonetts and topics that are similar. But is it authentic to base some of your impression on personal preference? Not all aspects of soliers life is documented. I know I have based much of my impression on my prefrences. I dont carry a knapsack because I think they are uncomfortable. What does everyone think?

Andrew McQuillen

Re: Prefrence

Andrew,

I think it would be very hard to base your impression on anything other than documented references and pictures. Using your "personal preferences" on such things as blanket roll vs. knapsack should still be based on the troops being portrayed.

While there must have been differences in the original soldier's appearances and equipment, their personal preferences would have differed so much from ours today that basing your impression on modern preferences can't be considered authentic.

I believe that trying to portray the original soldiers causes us to put aside our modern preferences for the weekend.
    Mike "Dusty" Chapman

Member: CWT, CVBT, NTHP, MOC, KBA, Stonewall Jackson House, Mosby Heritage Foundation

"I would have posted this on the preservation folder, but nobody reads that!" - Christopher Daley

The AC was not started with the beginner in mind. - Jim Kindred

Comment

Re: Preference

Hallo Herr Andrew!

"But is it authentic to base some of your impression on personal preference?"

Yes, after the research and documentation has been done to be able to determine is/was historically accurate clothing and gear; how Civil War soldiers adapted and adopted to active campaigning, and some of the personal "druthers" type decisions in personalizing standard issue kit based upon their own experience and shared experience of veteran companions.
      This can be done through CW period acounts, reports, letters, diaries as well as period images of soldiers in the field.

"Not all aspects of soliers life is documented. I know I have based much of my impression on my prefrences."

Herr Andrew. I am basing a reply to your question on the belief that you are fairly "new" and possibly inexperienced to the pursuit of historical research and its application when it comes to creating a believable image and persona while moving towards an authentic portrayal- and not just a troll posting Flame Bait.
      The above two statements can be dangerous, and an indication that you may have some more growth and development needed before moving up to the realm of "authentic campaining."

While not "everything" is documented, much is. And one should be working from what is, rather than from guesswork, imagination, campfire heresay, and hobby lore. (When everything is possible, nothing is probable.)
      If you are looking or actually moving to progress down the Path that leads closer to the life and times of the common Civil War soldier, as he was in history and time, your impression should not be based upon "preferences" unless they are historically correct options made from appropriately researched and documented choices.

If you are at a stage in your personal growth, development, and evolution where that is important to you and to those around you, welcome to the AC Forum!
      If you are not, or are undecided, you may want to view and read over the current an dolder threads and posts on the AC Forum for a while first- while you may want to share your basic questions on those fora that better represent the approach to the "CW Hobby" that suits your Mental Picure best.

If you are a troll, consider yourself warned that flame bait is not welcomed here.

Curt-Heinrich Schmidt
      Curt Schmidt
      In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
      -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
      -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
      -Vastly Ignorant
      -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

Not all aspects of soliers (sic) life is documented.
        No, not all, but I dare say 98 percent is...

edit... just saw Curt-Heinrich's post above
        Last edited by Vuhginyuh; 03-07-2004, 10:42 PM. Reason: just saw previous post by Curt-Heinrich
        B. G. Beall (Long Gone)

Comment

Within the range of documented, common practices, it is perfectly vailid to adopt those that you prefer. For example, if your research shows that around 70% of the soldiers in the unit you are portraying had knapsacks at a given time, and you don't like knapsacks, then you can portray one of the 30% who didn't have one. Thirty percent is still a sizeable number worthy of being represented.

Of course, you also have to consider the impressions of others in your unit. Using the same scenario as above, if most of your unit doesn't have knapsacks, then somebody needs to make the sacrafice.

The key is that your impression should be based on the PEC principle first and your preferences second -- as long as you use this guide you can't go wrong.
          Bill Reagan
          23rd Reg't
          Va. Vol. Infy.

Comment

Andrew,

The thing about authentic campaigning is that is must be a 100% theory and research used in practise. For instance, i'm portraying a confederate AOT soldier, and based on a solid amount on statistics and research, I know that the boys from 1863-1865 fought and died with little earthly possesions. The army had won a fairly, but not impressive victory at Chickamaugua, but before and after that the army was constantly moving around, and primarely suffering defeats. Mostly the men didnt go into battle wearing knapsacks; their where cumbersome and typically in the way. If you lost the battle and then was forced into af route, you would risk loosing your knapsack and other left behind belongins in the confusion that followed. Hence some feds and most confeds sticking to the blanketroll (production shortages, malequipment, logistic problems was offcourse also a factor), 'cause you could carry it into battle and even convince yourself it offered som protection against deadly missiles (like carrying your cartridgebox in front to protect your stomach and private parts).
            Personally I wear a knapsack to camp, and a blanket roll on the march, compensating for originality, authenticity and comfort. And I wear my cartridge box in front :o)

You choose, but base everything on facts first then your experience reliving these facts, otherwise it can't be considered authentic.

as dusty said: "While there must have been differences in the original soldier's appearances and equipment, their personal preferences would have differed so much from ours today that basing your impression on modern preferences can't be considered authentic."
            Last edited by reb1912; 03-08-2004, 09:07 AM. Reason: my spelling isn't the best
            [FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium]Pvt. Christian Steincke
            16th Tenn Vol[/FONT]
            [FONT=Century Gothic]"War does not determine who is right - only who is left."[/FONT]

Comment

Thanks for the input and advice. Yes I am very new to authentic reenacting. I guess my question wasnt stated right. What I should have said is, if 95% of my unit was documented as wearing knapsacks at one battle, would it be farby for me to be one of the 5% who didnt? Sorry for the stupid question, not trying to do the "i do it cause i can!" thing. Not trying to be flame bait.

Andew McQuillen

Comment

Of course many of thier prefrences would have differed, but some people would have been exactly the same. I portray a city boy, from boston. I get much more exercise then many of the old city clerks got, but I think knapsacks and overcoats are too heavy to be worth it. Of course, I would never try to "skip over" very improtant bits of info. If something is documented I do it, though I dont have to like it! :)

Andrew McQuillen

Comment

Hallo Kamerad!

Thanks for not being a troll, and wanting to learn and grow....
                  Yes, it is a matter of making period-correct choices from a number of researched and documented options.

(Psssst. It's "preference." ;-) )

Curt-Heinrich Schmidt
                  Curt Schmidt
                  In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
                  -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
                  -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
                  -Vastly Ignorant
                  -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

lol
                    Back to school with me!
                    Thanks for the help and suggestions.

Andrew McQuillen

Comment

Dear Andrew:

If you are portraying a "city boy from Boston" I question whether anyone who has survived 17? 18? 22? Massachusetts winters would view an overcoat as excess baggage after 1862. And in real life reenacting, once you've been to a few very early spring or very late fall events, you'll start to view an overcoat as the survival tool it is.

Also, if you're from Boston, what unit are you in? What Army Corps? My impression is that the majority of Boston natives were serving in the Army of the Potomac, which, by and large, was a fairly "spit and polish" outfit. I suspect that if you "lost" your knapsack your sergeant would be down your throat and up your backside in a heartbeat.

I could be wrong and I look forward to hearing from those who know much more about Massachusetts units than I do.

Sincerely,
                      Karin Timour
                      Period Knitting -- Socks, Hats, Balaclavas
                      Atlantic Guard Soldiers' Aid Society
                      Email: Ktimour@aol.com

Comment

Originally posted by bonniegreenflag
                        I get much more exercise then many of the old city clerks got, Andrew McQuillen

I wouldnt count on that. You may want to look into just what a man in a 19th century cities lifestyle was like. You may be suprised.
                        Robert Johnson

"Them fellers out thar you ar goin up against, ain't none of the blue-bellied, white-livered Yanks and sassidge-eatin'forrin' hirelin's you have in Virginny that run atthe snap of a cap - they're Western fellers, an' they'll mighty quick give you a bellyful o' fightin."

In memory of: William Garry Co.H 5th USCC KIA 10/2/64 Saltville VA.

Comment

Andrew,

I have a different take on the subject of how to carry your traps. IMHO, armies haven't really changed much over the years, and what is enforced in garrison, is often ignored on campaign. The sergeants who are concerned about uniformity in garrison, will have more important things to worry about on campaign. They're likely to be much more concerned about the condition of your weapons and equipment, not how you carry them. I agree that if it can be documented that a specific unit carried packs, or didn't, ect., then your impression should match that information, but that is often not the case.

As long as you are using authentic equipment, and unless there is information to the contrary, I feel it would be perfectly correct to wear and carry your equipment any way that's comfortable for you, as long as it allows you to efficiently use your weapon. Be aware that if you are missing any issued clothing or equipment when you get settled back into a garrison situation, you'll most likely get your pay docked for what you lost!

I'm sure other's mileage will vary.
                          Bill Rodman, King of Prussia, PA

Comment

Look, Im very new. I dont know much yet which is why Im on this forum. I have chosen to portray a man from Boston. I have not yet chosen a career or background. My "character" needs alot of work. I one day hope to portray an Irishman(with one or two or three years of practice before application), because my home unit is the 28th mass of the 2nd corps, 1st division, which was raised on Howard St. in Boston under Col. T.S. Murphy. But then thats only authentic after Sharpsburg isnt it? Im trying to learn when the 28th was attached to the Irish brigade. Im not trying to offend anyone with my ignorance, I am here to learn.If people think my posts sound hokey, tell me and I will change them.
                            (and i have to learn gaelic! )

Andrew McQuillen

P.S.-I live in Va., practically on the battlegrounds. I have attended one or two events that reached 0 at night. I have never owned or used a greatcoat, and it will probably be the last thing I buy.

Comment

Dear Andrew:

If I came across as harsh, I apologize. It wasn't my intention to discourage you from asking quesitons. An overcoat is a large purchase and it makes sense that you would concentrate your resources on the more basic parts of your impression first.

In terms of furthering your reseach on who your character was before he enlised, and what news he was getting from home, I'd recommend "Civil War Boston" by Thomas H. O'Connor (ISBN: 1-55553-318-3). It has quite a bit of great information that can fill out some of the background questions you're likely to run into.

In terms of when the 28th Mass became part of the Irish brigade, that should be found in Dyers Compendium, which is a sort of "encyclopedia" of information organized by units. While I'm certain that someone on this forum has a copy, if you go to your local library and look it up yourself, you'll gain a couple of additional pluses -- you'll know where and how to find it again when you need it, and you can xerox the entire history of the 28th Mass. which will tell you important things like the names of your chain of command (every solider would have known this by heart), as well as what battles they fought in, and how many were lost, etc.).

Keep in mind that as you get more involved with the more authentic side of the hobby, your impression will be less based on a specific unit that stays the same from event to event. More immersion and authentic type events will require the participants to take on the impression of a specific unit, which changes from event to event. So it's wisest to sort out certain things about your "life as a civilian" which stay the same, no matter if you are portraying a Bostonian, a New Yorker, a black hat from Wisconsin. What is your occupation? When did your family come to this country? Are you married? Engaged? A father? When and where were you born? Who are your family members and what is your relationship with each of them? What are your politics, did you vote in the 1860 election, will you vote in the 1864 election, what do you think about slavery, states' rights? These you can research now and keep them the same for your first few events.

I'd recommend doing some reading on these issues and getting a grounded sense of them before putting in time learning Gaelic. Speaking of language, I'd strongly advise against attempting an Irish accent if you weren't raised speaking with one. No matter where you were born and raised, you've got that accent in your daily speech. Think about a logical reason for why someone with your accent enlisted in the 28th Mass., in case you are asked.

To give an example, my accent is from the central Midwest -- southern Indiana and Michigan. In my reenacting, I'm often portraying a Southern woman (sometimes a lady, mostly a working widow). My accent can pass muster as northern Kentucky, so that's always where I was born. I never attempt to pass as a native of Virginia, Georgia, etc. There were Northerners who moved South and Southerners who moved North, so don't feel obligated to work up an accent particular to a part of the country (or a foreign country) where you weren't raised.

Hope that's helpful,
                              Karin Timour
                              Period Knitting -- Socks, Hats, Balaclavas
                              Atlantic Guard Soldiers' Aid Society
                              Email: Ktimour@aol.com

Comment

Working...
                              X