Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Artillery & Knapsacks?

pards,
    This has been a very questionable topic for me since ive started reenacting a few years ago, did light artillery carry knapsacks? Ive looked and looked over pictures and cannot seem to find one artilleryman with one on! Were they issued them or did they have a wagon carry their supplies for them? And ive never seen a reenacting battery with one on. I could be wrong about my thinking that they did not but thats why im asking! Thanks
    Waylon Pashong
    hardtack61

For one to be authentic, One has to ask others

I'll tetch 'em together quicker'n lightnin,if I don't, dad burn

Re: Artillery & Knapsacks?

You may want to look at Page 204 in the Reb version of Echoes of Glory. There is militia box knapsack that has 1st Regt Va Vol Howitzer marked on it.

Comment

Thanks,
      Ill have to look at my friends EOG because i do not have it. I thankyou alot for this info!
      Waylon Pashong
      hardtack61

For one to be authentic, One has to ask others

I'll tetch 'em together quicker'n lightnin,if I don't, dad burn

Comment

A good book to read titled Bloody Roads South, About Grants move in Spring 1864 to begin and the Wilderness. There in mentions veteran artillery batteries picking up knapsacks that were being discarded alongside the road due to fatigue and heat by green batteries of Heavy Artillery whom were not used to campaigning. The heavies were pulled from Washington and fitted for the new campaign.

Apologize for not giving you the exact quote, I do not have the book in front of me.

Short answer to your question, yes, they could draw knapsacks too. IMO there are too few good artillery impressions :confused_
        [SIZE=2][B]Mark Mason[/B][/SIZE] :cool:
        [SIZE=2][I]Tar Water Mess[/I][/SIZE]
        [SIZE=2][I]GHTI[/I][/SIZE]
        [URL]http://http://www.ghti.homestead.com/[/URL]

Comment

Mounted artillery cannoneers in federal service did have knapsacks. Period guidance in various manuals even specified that cannoneers were permitted to strap their knapsacks to limber and caisson footboards while on the march. Remember, cannoneers in all but horse (or "flying") batteries which were normally attached to brigades of cavalry, usually walked -- riding the boxes for other than short, rapid movements added too much strain to the already struggling artillery horses. Drivers in mounted batteries used what was known as a valise, which was a tubular leather satchel attached to the off-side horse's saddle to the right of each driver.

Cordially,

Comment

-- riding the boxes for other than short, rapid movements added too much strain to the already struggling artillery horses.

Interesting bit about this- artillery horses were some of the most quickly broken-down animals in the entire army. Between exhaustion and being killed or blown up, these poor creatures had a not too glorious life. One can only wonder if the foot-bound cannoneers had things any better than their infantry or cavalry counterparts. Goes to show, I believe, that ALL branches had their 'crosses' to bear.

Aside from that- I was never aware of the knapsack for artillery. This thread has been an education so far.

Rob Burchardt
            4th TX Regt. Artillery + Artillery Co. of NM

Comment

Originally posted by RedCordCO
              -- riding the boxes for other than short, rapid movements added too much strain to the already struggling artillery horses.

Interesting bit about this- artillery horses were some of the most quickly broken-down animals in the entire army. Between exhaustion and being killed or blown up, these poor creatures had a not too glorious life. One can only wonder if the foot-bound cannoneers had things any better than their infantry or cavalry counterparts. Goes to show, I believe, that ALL branches had their 'crosses' to bear.

Aside from that- I was never aware of the knapsack for artillery. This thread has been an education so far.

Rob Burchardt
              4th TX Regt. Artillery + Artillery Co. of NM
              I believe some light artillery were issued/ obtained knapsacks. They were probably stored in the support wagons. I don't believe they wore them while mounted on a horse or while riding on a limber. The constant jarring would have been extremly uncomfortably on the shoulders and the lower back.

Further more, can you imagine going straight into the fight and servicing a gun with a pack on? I would say common sense would have prevailed and what didn't fit on the saddle or in the valise, was stored with the wagons.

Gunny Gibby
              [COLOR=DarkSlateGray]Phil Gibbons[/COLOR]

Comment

Originally posted by hardtack61
                pards,
                This has been a very questionable topic for me since ive started reenacting a few years ago, did light artillery carry knapsacks? Ive looked and looked over pictures and cannot seem to find one artilleryman with one on! Were they issued them or did they have a wagon carry their supplies for them? And ive never seen a reenacting battery with one on. I could be wrong about my thinking that they did not but thats why im asking! Thanks
                In Levi Baker's history of the 9th Battery Mass. Vols., a light artillery unit, there are two or three references to them packing their knapsacks.

Ed

Comment

Originally posted by GunnyGibby
                  I believe some light artillery were issued/ obtained knapsacks. They were probably stored in the support wagons. I don't believe they wore them while mounted on a horse or while riding on a limber. The constant jarring would have been extremly uncomfortably on the shoulders and the lower back.

Further more, can you imagine going straight into the fight and servicing a gun with a pack on? I would say common sense would have prevailed and what didn't fit on the saddle or in the valise, was stored with the wagons.

Gunny Gibby

Phil,
                  I didn't mean to imply drivers wore knapsacks. They had valises. I'm not discounting your assertion that knapsacks might have been kept with baggage in the battalion trains, nevertheless, artillerymen, just like infantry, needed routine and quick access to their belongings carried in their knapsacks and I believe its more reasonable to expect them to have kept them handy for that reason. Also, the TO&E of an battery didn't include wagons dedicated to baggage of enlisted soldiers. The list of regulation contents of battery wagons is long, but it was almost exlusively composed of spare parts and maintenance supplies needed to keep the battery in service on campaign. Also remember, cannoneers were not encumbered with the additional weight of cap/cartridge boxes, muskets and bayonets. The additional weight of their knapsack should not have been too much of a burden, particularly when compared to the typical infantry soldier's personal load. I can share that I have worn a knapsack while riding an ammunition box during quick jaunts. The jarring of the knapsack is the least of your problems. :wink_smil The bigger problem is the complete lack of suspension and/or springs and the corresponding lack of any shock absorption as the vehicle is pulled over all kinds of terrain. You are literally hanging on for dear life. Finally, you can do your job as a cannoneer w/out dropping your pack. In fact, our unit takes some pride in the fact we do so with all our accouterments worn -- including packs. Frankly, there's really nothing you can't do in and around a gun that you could do without your pack. We also contend its more authentic, particularly in situations where you are prone to "shoot and scoot" since there is precious little time to limber-up and move out for the next firing position.

Cordially,

Comment

You folks must have been reading my mind. I've been meaning to ask this question for ages.

I have to agree with Kieth. If you look at the amount of "stuff" that was required in a battery, I think there was very little room left over for the individual soldier use. Plus, as an artificer, the last thing I would want to do is dig through a pile of knapsacks to get to the tools need to make repairs on the move.

I just recently ran across the attached pic while browsing an original Harpers Illustrated History of the war. It shows Battery D, 5th US Artillery at the battle of Frazier's Farm. Granted this is a post war drawing, but it does lend support to artillerymen strapping their packs to caissons.

Has anyone ever found a pic of a light artillery solider with a pack?
                    Attached Files
                    Matt Adair

Comment

I guess Id just strap my knapsack to the limber or wagon when I was riding and wear it when I was marching. Of course, Im a fan of the blankett roll which gives you little trouble except when your manning the gun.

Andrew McQuillen

Comment

Matt,
                        Here's a pic of a couple light artillery soldiers with packs, negotiating a creek crossing :wink_smil

Cordially,
                        Attached Files

Comment

Yep. They had them, indeed.

Throughout the journal entries of many of the men of Durell's Ringgold Battery I have found many mentions of their use of knapsacks. The most memorable one can be found during their action at Fox's Pass during the BAttle of South Mountain. One detachment was forwarded by hand to the top of the hill to stand guard at the intersection near the Wise farmhouse. The boys were lamenting the fact that they had been ordered to leave their packs and haversacks behind with the rest of the Battery and that they suffered terribly from the lack of both extra clothing to ward off the unseasonably cold night as well as their total lack of rations.

Another mention comes from an event where a caisson slipped from a train car during their movement to Vicksburg. They didn't mind the loss of the caison, but the boys were furious when they discovered that the locals had taken every one of the knapsacks that had been strapped to it! They hadn't touched powder nor ball, but those big fat packs must have looked like Christmas packages to the folks of southeastern Ohio! :D

Yet again, crossing a bridge over the Big Black River, another caisson was lost as the bridge gave way beneath it as it crossed. Again, the men didn't miss the caisson nor its attached limber, but they did grieve the loss of the knapsacks and the loss of one of their favorite teams, who were dragged beneath the water still strapped into their harnesses.

Also, even without the boys from the Ringgold Battery, we see a definite pattern of use by the artillery in an order issued by our own General Hunt that sought to end the ubuse of the teams being wrought by the men incessantly strapping their packs to the gun and caisson carriages. This extra weight was playing havok with the longevity of the animals to the point that the good General took the action to end it.

Then again, all one has to do is check the equipment issued to any given light battery to see that knapsacks were always issued at some point. This would be to every soldier below the rank of sergeant, not including the drivers, trumpeters, artificers, and the guidon bearers. Generally any cannoneer not mounted on a horse.

I hope this helped.
                          Mark A. Pflum
                          Redleg and unemployed History Teacher
                          Member:
                          CMH
                          AHA
                          Phi Alpha Theta (MU XI Chapter)

Comment

Hmmmmm. Maybe one of my ancestors picked up one of those packs. Naw doubt it being my family was in Va. My grandmothers side maybe? Never know. Do you know the location of where that caisson fell, or atleast what railroad, Im guessing B&O?

Regards,
                            Southeastern Ohioan
                            Isaac Forman

Comment

From the History of the Ninth Massachusetts Battery

August 14 (1862), at 4 A.M., reveille sounded, our knapsacks were packed, tents struck, and early we left Camp Stanton for Camp Meigs.

(December 27, 1862) .. ordered the Battery to be ready to march immediately; tents left standing, with knapsacks left in them.

(February 28, 1863) The first day in camp was Sunday; inspection in quarters, knapsacks ... most attention was paid to the care of the clothing and packing of knapsacks, and did us good.

(June 27, 1863) Here we turned in our knapsacks, and reduced our baggage ...

(April 23, 1864) ... our knapsacks are the envy of the other battery officers.

(May 4, 1864) We strap our knapsacks, roll our blankets and overcoats, take the roofs of our stockades, which are to be our shelters now; all are securely strapped on the limbers and saddles.

(June 1, 1865) The batteries loan our officers horses and wagons for our baggage and knapsacks. We carry our haversacks and the march is leisurely ...

Ed

Comment

Working...
                              X