How to pack a Kibbler Knapsack

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to pack a Kibbler Knapsack

After reading the article on the 26th NC website and asking some friends, I thought I'd reach out onto the AC Forum and see how others here have packed their Kibbler pack for events (as well as what they keep in them, etc).

Here is how I did it: I put all of my personal stuff (shirt, socks, winter hat, toothbrush, housewife and pipe/tobacco) in the bag part, fold my blanket up (as best as I could) into the flap part and then put my ground cloth in between so I can take that out first and lay my knapsack on that.

Thanks in advance and enjoy your weekend.

Robert
    Robert F. Wallace
    38th NCT (River Rat Mess)
    North State Rifles

"Do your duty in all things...for you can do no more and should never wish to do less." General Robert E. Lee

Re: How to pack a Kibbler Knapsack

Hello,
    I don't own any knapsack, yet, and all I can say about the Kibler is that that knapsack is a spooners knapsack. I is meant to carry 1 blanket and a FEW personal items. If you have any more it should be spread out amongst you and a pard. I would get a federal issue knapsack when that one goes south. Just my 2 cents.

All the Best
    James Peli

Comment

I have a double bag one too for my union impression and late war cs impression, but wanted a kibble too. Much obliged for the help.

Thanks again,
      Robert F. Wallace
      North State Rifles

"Do your duty in all things...for you can do no more and should never wish to do less." General Robert E. Lee

Comment

Hey Robert.

I do a 22nd NC and an AoT impression and use a MB&S Kibbler for all wartime periods. Everyone is a little different, and it doesn't bother me to have some extra weight since the pack is basically your life, but here is how I pack mine. It has worked for me on several marches and a ton of events.

In the single bag, I put: 1 extra shirt, 1 pair of extra socks, 1 pair of extra drawers, a knit cap, scarf and gloves (weather depending), a housewife, 4 beeswax candles, extra caps, extra rounds, a "personals" poke sack, some lucifers, tobacco pouch, a pipe, a little medicinal brown water, an Enfield musket tool, and a poke sack with a soldier's manual, prayer book, a small length of sisal, beeswax, a gunrag and some oil.

In the envelope flap, I tie an extra blanket.

I cross the securing straps. On the bottom of one of them I attach a mucket or a peach can boiler through the bail. Through the "X" in the straps, I put my frying pan so that the handle passes under the "X" and the top of the pan is flat against the back of the pack.

Then I roll a blanket in a groundcloth, and I attach that roll to the top of the pack with either knapsack straps or rope, by running them underneath the shoulder straps on top of the pack. With the Kibbler/Mex War pack, the roll stays nicely on top and does not pull down and back like most others will.

Hope that helps.

Keep your powder dry.

Rich
        Rich Libicer
        Fugi's Brown Water Mess

6th North Carolina - 150th First Manassas, July 2011
        4th Texas Dismounted, Co. C - 150th Valverde, February 2012
        6th Mississippi Adjunct - 150th Shiloh, April 2012
        4th Texas Dismounted, Co. C - 150th Glorieta Pass, May 2012
        21st Arkansas Adjunct - 150th Prairie Grove, December 2012
        5th Confederate, Co. C - 150th Chickamauga, September 2013
        Haitus...... Until Now

Comment

Rich gives solid advice with whay to put in the pouch. Bryant Roberts and I were talking about this very issue with a buddy of ours. We just said practice packing it at home,and tote it around to see how it feels/rides. Try it until you find what works/feels the best.
          Herb Coats
          Armory Guards &
          WIG

Comment

I recently acquired a "captured" shelter half and would to carry that in my Kibbler (when impression guidelines allow). How would one recommend doing that?

Thanks in advance.

Sincerely,
            Robert F. Wallace
            North State Rifles

Comment

If you wanted to do that, just fold it up to blanket size and stick it in between the two halves of the knapsack.
              Joe Knight

Armory Guards
              Yocona Rip Raps
              "Semper Tyrannis."

Comment

Working...
              X