Cleaning an 1842

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Cleaning an 1842

After trial and error with different means of protection, I have relied solely on Crisco (not the liquid) for protection from the elements.
    Because water is heavier than oil, this explains why I could wake up to a rusty barrel in heavy dew, though covered with a light film of oil previously.

Any additional covering for steel at an event is the bacon grease.

When putting the rifle in storage, or cleaning after an event, it is totally stripped, cleaned, internal lock parts oiled, and all other steel is coated with a very light film of Crisco.

For the stock, I have relied on a light wiping of 50/50 Boiled Linseed oil and Turpentine for protection. Let it dry overnight, and reassemble.
    For the bore, after cleaning it out with water and followed with Hoppe's #9, I put crisco on the nipple threads, and run a neatsfoot oiled patch down the barrel.

Just prior to an event, I will wipe off any hardened crisco and I will be good to go.

I have done this with all of my CW rifles, not just the '42.
    Regards,
    John Raterink

"If they carried short rifles and shot people far away, they had to be cool"

Comment

A 3M between coats finishing pad will take off rust and the remaining grayish stain on the barrel, with very little effort. I also use olive oil, both at events and between events, in addition to storing the gun in a Remington gun sock to prevent humidity in my house from rusting the gun between events. The only problem that I have ever run into with this method is that sometimes the olive oil can "congeal" and form a sticky tack on the underside of the barrel. Rubbing alcohol quickly removes this, and a fresh coat of oil afterwards will keep the barrel rust free during an event. The 42 is probably the easiest gun to clean of all those in my collection.

Aaron Cook
      Aaron Cook

"Argggghhh, I am a bear, and I am hungry!!!"

Comment

Non authentic - green scubby and rem oil. You will lose the Italian armory bright.
        In the field, pre soaked rem oil patches in tin container.
        Garand grease works well on nipple threads.
        Frank Perkin

Comment

i also have a 1842 Springfield i was told by an old reactor friend that when on the march or in the field find an old corn cob that has been eaten or the husk from one and use ash and water and a tad of bacon grease and mix it together. use the cob or husk to scrub down your rifle and wipe down with a old rag. he is one of the most authentic men i have reenacted with and i have found this in a old book two. don't forget to boil the water or it dose not work that well.

Mr. Kirkland, welcome to the forum. Per forum rules, all members are required to sign the full name to their posts. Please take this as an opportunity to review the forum rules as linked in the PM I am sending you. - Silas Tackitt, one of the moderators.
          Last edited by Silas; 08-01-2013, 01:01 PM. Reason: Signature violation
          Austin Kirkland

Comment

In some of my reading was a inspection report written on the condition of Confederate arms late in 1864 or early 65. Basically it said that the condition of the men's arms depended on their commanding officer. It was noted where the OICs were from the regular army (or I suppose military schools), the men's arms were cleaner and better maintained. When the OIC was a volunteer there was a noticable difference in the condition of the arms they being rustier and less well maintained.

Guess you may want to make a judgement on which kind of officer your have and base your cleaning standards on that. Or you can do what I do and always keep it as clean as you can. I have seen some 42s that have developed a patina of a dull but somewhat glossy finish from so much field cleaning. It makes it less prone to rust and looks presentable. The people who have a gun like this never bring it back to a bright shiney finish.
            Jim Mayo
            Portsmouth Rifles, Company G, 9th Va. Inf.

CW Show and Tell Site
            http://www.angelfire.com/ma4/j_mayo/index.html

Comment

Hallo!

Just a passing comment on a necro-post... :) :)

Yes, it can depend on the nature of one's impression...

Meaning, aside form the modern Italian factory mirror bright bogus finishes, there was, is, a Period difference between the lad who received a weapon on Day One directly from the maker or armory and that had dragged it through the mud and trenches of say Petersburg for several months.

One of the "problems' with repro M1842's is that the majority are too new "out of the box" looking Production of new M1842's ceased at both armories in 1855 so that roughly was pretty much the last of the new and minty ones with maybe the exception of armory refurbished ones that were converted and/or altered shortly thereafter.

So, in brief and to over generalize...

Many of the M1842's used during the War were not mint or brand new pristine untouched or unused ones to the greater extent.

Other's mileage may vary...

Curt
              Curt Schmidt
              In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
              -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
              -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
              -Vastly Ignorant
              -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

Jim Mayo has a great point. Often the condition of men's arms (and all equipment for that matter) was a function of the leadership. that of course has been true forever. I recall a great passage in August Meyers' Ten Years in the Ranks US Army (2nd US Inf) where he is shocked at the contrast between the regular soldier's weapons and those of the volunteers, in this case the 95th NY of their brigade. At another point a few of the volunteers asked the regulars how they got their weapons so "bright." Meyers was suprised at the question.
                Soli Deo Gloria
                Doug Cooper

"The past is never dead. It's not even past." William Faulkner

Please support the CWT at www.civilwar.org

Comment

something i was reading on Jackson's troops is that it said "and there weapons glistened in the sun light as they marched by" yet that did not say they where as shiny as a new penny as many of the arms and equipment is keep today by reenactors. men where marching and living in the woods for months on end and we just go out for a weekend. being an eagle scout i know what a 50 mile hike is and what you look and smell like after, and i think modern reenactors, not all but the majority look like they just rolled out of the dry cleaners.

Austin Kirkland
                  "just a poor man fighting a rich mans war"
                  Austin Kirkland

Comment

I use light emory cloth and sweet oil.
                    Robert Johnson

"Them fellers out thar you ar goin up against, ain't none of the blue-bellied, white-livered Yanks and sassidge-eatin'forrin' hirelin's you have in Virginny that run atthe snap of a cap - they're Western fellers, an' they'll mighty quick give you a bellyful o' fightin."

In memory of: William Garry Co.H 5th USCC KIA 10/2/64 Saltville VA.

Comment

Working...
                    X