Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• canvas slings

Pards;
    does anyone know if there was such things as canvas slings for a springfield 1861? I've been wondering this for a couple of days. I've heards of a canvas sling I think it was for a richmond rifle or mabe an enfield, I was only wondering.

Rob young
    Very Respectfully,
    Robert Young

Re: canvas slings

Canvas/cotton slings were used by the Confederacy. If they would fit a Richmond they would fit a 61 Springfield since the swivels are located in the same place (trigger guard and middle band). Hardley any you see for sale at events are correct.
    Jim Mayo
    Portsmouth Rifles, Company G, 9th Va. Inf.

CW Show and Tell Site
    http://www.angelfire.com/ma4/j_mayo/index.html

Comment

pard;
      thanks for the information, I was wondering about that for a while . by the way are there any pictures of one that you might have?I might try to make a period one, I'm off to do some research.

Rob young
      Very Respectfully,
      Robert Young

Comment

Try looking at Phil Cavanaugh's website (Haversack Depot). He makes a great reproduction of a Confederate canvas sling for Springfield/Richmond rifles.

Hope this helps you.

Regards-
        Tim Blackmon
        Hedgesville Blues
        SHOCKER MESS

Comment

Tim ;
          thanks , belive it or not that is where I learned of canvas slings , I'd forgotten all about old haversack depot, ha! how could I ! forget haversack depot. thanks for getting back to me so quick , i'm printing out all the info Haversack depot has , in the hopes of making my own soon , thanks for your help.
          Very Respectfully,
          Robert Young

Comment

Just FYI, you shouldn't make a reproduction of a reproduction. It's like playing a game of telephone.

There are images of original CS gun slings out there. You just have to look for them.
            John Stillwagon

Comment

sir ;
              actually a man on this forum e-mailed me a couple of pictures of his original sling,the sling that he has has been a great resource to me while I make it , also the CD jarnigan website has been a lot of help with how things are going , i am only confused on where i can buy 2mm iron wire at least that's what the wire is supposed to be made of right , that's what I was told.
              Very Respectfully,
              Robert Young

Comment

Working...
              X