Enfield bayonets...again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Enfield bayonets...again

I recently became the owner of an original P53 Enfield bayonet recieved from England. I have searched the forums and did some other research as to correct bayonet markings. I hadn't originally planned on getting this one, but it was given to me at a very cheap price. Therefore, my question is, I intend to use it for the sheer fact that it is an original and has strength, unlike repros, but how could I take off the W /l\ D (war department and inspection) and regimental marking without anihilating and scratching the hell out of it? Considering that it was issued to British troops and not imported to America, I wouldn't want to sacrifice authenticity with its current markings.
    Last edited by SGulley; 03-10-2004, 06:09 PM.
    Scott Gulley
    PPM/GHTI/WIG

Re: Enfield bayonets...again

Scott,

If it is an original, please don't scratch off any markings. (!!!!!! = Adding emphasis w/o yelling)

If you want one with correct WTBS markings, you might consider using the one you have as a trade. ...or, sell it outright and begin looking for the proper one. I would recommend Shiloh Relics or The Horse Soldier.

Best Regards,
    John Wickett
    Former Carpetbagger
    Administrator (We got rules here! Be Nice - Sign Your Name - No Farbisms)

Comment

I'll yell, DONT TOUCH IT!
      B. G. Beall (Long Gone)

Comment

Hey Scott,
        Keep it. Don't fool with it. Set some money aside each week and go find one thats good for what we all do. Years from now, that bayonet will be worth something. If you do anything to it. It will lose it's value. I learned this the hard way. I took a Mdl 1816 bayonet that I was told was not worth anything, BTW this was during the Bi-Cenntenial in 1976. I attempted to make it fit a Mdl 1777 Charleville. I ruined it and I kick myself in the Arse everyday now. To make matters worse I got in a militia scabbard with the carriage and a sheet brass breast plate, Yep, your right. I destroyed those too. Once an original is gone it's gone. Don't do what I did.
        Barry Dusel

In memory: Wm. Stanley, 6th PA Cav. Ernst C. Braun, 9th PA. Cav. John E. Brown & Edwin C. Brown, 23rd PVI

Comment

Originally posted by Vuhginyuh
          I'll yell, DONT TOUCH IT!
          An overwhelming outcry from the gallery! This is exactly why I posted, I don't always think of all the possibilities. Thanks and I'll see what I can do about getting another.
          Scott Gulley
          PPM/GHTI/WIG

Comment

Scott,

Can you post the regimental markings it has on it? I'll look them up and may be able to tell you some of its history.

Cheers,

Michael
            Michael McComas
            drudge-errant

Comment

Originally posted by SGulley
              I recently became the owner of an original P53 Enfield bayonet recieved from England. I have searched the forums and did some other research as to correct bayonet markings. I hadn't originally planned on getting this one, but it was given to me at a very cheap price. Therefore, my question is, I intend to use it for the sheer fact that it is an original and has strength, unlike repros, but how could I take off the W /l\ D (war department and inspection) and regimental marking without anihilating and scratching the hell out of it? Considering that it was issued to British troops and not imported to America, I wouldn't want to sacrifice authenticity with its current markings.
              Please don't do anything to it!!!!! It's fine! You will render it a useless piece of junk if you do that. The value will be destroyed! It's history will be obliterated! To a collector, that would be a heinous crime! To be honest, nobody will really notice or care if it's of British distribution. It's an original, that should be enough. If you don't like those markings, sell it to someone who cares and get what it's worth, and go to the Richmond shows or the Baltimore Gun Show and find one that is "correct" for you. The wartime American ones are a bit harder to find. Depends. If you don't care...well... so be it. But, fair warning. There is a great article in the recent North South Skirmish Association's magazine called "The Skirmish Line" discussing British markings on Enfield equipment. I don't have all the info at hand here with me, but it's chock full of valuable info into the details/markings of those weapons. Please, if you know someone (I could try and send you info) who is in the organization that is near to you, you would do well to obtain or read this article, or any other good publications on the subject.
              Again, please don't destroy the markings.
              Regards,
              Rob McFarland
              Co. E, 2nd Maryland Fifes and Drums
              1st Maryland Infantry, Co A, N-SSA

Comment

Are there any differences in the Enfield Bayonets used here in the US and the ones used by the Brits and Canadians other than the stampings? :D
                Fenny I Hanes

Richmond Depot, Inc.
                PO BOX 4849
                Midlothian, VA 23112
                www.richmonddepot.com
                (804)305-2968

Comment

Originally posted by Richmond Depot
                  Are there any differences in the Enfield Bayonets used here in the US and the ones used by the Brits and Canadians other than the stampings? :D
                  Scott,

This is definitely not a scientific study, but I own two broad arrow marked Enfield bayonets, and the sockets are too big for my Birmingham Enfield rifle. I was able to find Civil War import bayonet, and it fit my rifle like glove.

My guess is that they shaved a little extra off the barrels they were making for the "American Market". Maybe Curt would like to comment.
                  Bill Rodman, King of Prussia, PA

Comment

Working...
                  X