This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fugawee Footwear

I'm not sure if this is the right section for this, but I was wondering if anyone could tell me what the quality of footwear made by Fugawee Corporation is.

Re: Fugawee Footwear

From what I have seen, it is OK at best. There are definitely finer shoes on the market from Tom Mattimore, Robert Serio and others.

Comment

I believe you would get a better product from the vendors mentioned above. I would consider their products before Fugawee. Take a look at their sites...

Mattimore Harness

and
      Missouri Boot and Shoe (Robert Serio)
      Matthew Rector

Comment

Thanks for the replies, unfortuanatly I don't have the money for shoes from Tom Mattimore or Robert Serio at the moment.

Comment

Originally posted by 49thNYVI
          Thanks for the replies, unfortuanatly I don't have the money for shoes from Tom Mattimore or Robert Serio at the moment.
          You'll end up paying more in the long run when you have to "buy up" the authenticity level in another year or so.

Save your money, and buy some good shoes...

What's the rush? Do you have an "event" you have to make?

Take it slow and get good gear...

Another good vendor: www.mjnboot.com
          Ryan B.Weddle

7th New York State Militia

"Beware of all enterprises that require new clothes" - Henry David Thoreau

"The willingness with which our young people are likely to serve in any war, no matter how justified, shall be directly proportional as to how they perceive the Veterans of earlier wars were treated and appreciated by their country."
          – George Washington , 1789

Comment

If you can't afford a new pair from these fine makers, keep watching the buy sell forums. There are always deals on shoes showing up.
            [FONT=Times New Roman][b]Tripp Corbin[/b][/FONT]
            [URL=http://www.westernindependentgrays.org/]Western Independent Grays[/URL]
            [URL=http://www.armoryguards.org/]Armory Guards[/url]

Comment

Jim Lammers make some pretty good shoes. The Watchdog's pretty keen on them.

http://www.cedarcreeksupplydepot.com/

Andrew, your suggested vendor is not known for its quality reproductions. While I realize that you are trying to help others, suggesting less than authentic suppliers on this forum is considered a farbism and is against the rules. There is a list of "approved" vendors under the "Links" section that everyone should check out before posting their "who makes the best......" questions. - Mike Chapman
              Last edited by dusty27; 03-11-2004, 09:49 PM.
              Andrew Donovan
              Livonia, MI
              5th Texas Co. E
              Medich Battalion
              Beauregard Mess

[FONT=Franklin Gothic Medium][COLOR=DarkRed][I]"High Ho, de boatman row. Floatin' down de ribber, de Ohio"[/I] [/COLOR] [/FONT]

Comment

Gentlemen, thank you for recommending some quality vendors to me. I just found a deal on a pair of Robert Serio boots.

Comment

Huh?

When did Jim Lammers' shoes fall from grace?

If memory serves me right, he was listed as an approved vendor here before the "move" to a new server. And if I'm not mistaken, he's also listed as an approved vendor in the CRRC for shoes. It was because of both of these listings that I purchased my shoes from him just last year. And I love 'em -- not a single blister; not so much as a hot spot, right out of the box!

Not trying to stir up a hornet's nest of farbism -- just wondering when things changed. :confused_
                  Matthew Easley

Comment

Re: Huh?

Back in 1999 The Watchdog did an in depth article & review of brogans & gave Mr. lammers shoes very high marks for quality & correctness. They did point out that the shoes were not dead on correct for Union issue but were great for a Confed impression as there was more varience there. I know that I sure like mine that I bought back in 99 after reading the Watchdog review. I have always trusted the Watchdogs findings due to their efforts to do plenty of research.

George Eason/First Georgia State Line

Comment

"They did point out that the shoes were not dead on correct for Union issue but were great for a Confed impression as there was more varience there."

Ummm... No.

No matter what "The Watchdog" says, you can't take a poorly reproduced reproduction of a US issue shoe and miraculously declare it a correct reproduction of a CS shoe. With all the good vendors making quality reproductions of CS footware, why would anyone accept a half-assed reproduction of a Federal shoe as a correct CS shoe?

Bottom line, there is no shortage of correctly made footware out there right now. Why not get something you know to be correct?
                      John Stillwagon

Comment

Thats your opinion Yellowhammer & you are certainly entitled to it but I have examined several examples of shoes produced in the south & the Lammers shoes compared satisfactorily. Shoes produced in the south came from many different sources & there WAS a good deal more varience in the quality & other features & some were quite crude looking. I am quite satisfied in the research done by the Watchdog.

George Eason/First Ga. State line

Comment

Authenticity is in the eye of the beholder. If you are satisfied with the evaluation done by the Watchdog, then you will be happy with the shoes you receive from that vendor/maker.

However, I must point out that an item either IS or IS NOT an accurate reproduction of an extant article. Being an inaccurate reproduction of extant article "A" does not make it an acceptable synthesis of theoretical artical "B".

...or maybe it does??? Once you step away from reproductions of documented items, anything using "Period construction" becomes acceptable conjecture. So, you'd better be aware of the fact that you are, indeed, compromising authenticity in the name of cost, availability, or... let's face it, its cost!

As a wise man (Curt) once said, "When all things are possible, nothing is probable".
                          John Wickett
                          Former Carpetbagger
                          Administrator (We got rules here! Be Nice - Sign Your Name - No Farbisms)

Comment

Like I said earlier I have examined original shoes & the shoes in question compared satisfactorily. Were they a clone of the originals? Probably not, but they are certainly within realistic parameters that any logical person can understand. For instance I have a shirt that is made accurately & in a correct style of the period backed up by info provided by museum articles that I have examined & reputable books on period shirt construction. But is the shirt I have an exact clone of the original,no it isnt,it is made of Pat Kline shirting material that is different than the shirt its based on & I have period correct glass buttons whereas the original had bone buttons. The shirt is slightly different but is definitly within logical parameters that a logical person can understand. There were slight variences in many items produced during the period & that is a fact.

George Eason/First Georgia State Line

Comment

Below is the review of Cedar Creek Supply Depot's bootee by Mike Cunningham in the Summer 1999 issue of The Watchdog. I would hardly call this review "high marks"

"This manufacturer offers an extremely blunt nosed pair of bootees with soles that are even squarer than issue specimens, but not more so than some private purchase boots. The soles are quite sturdy and made with two thicknesses of leather. The uppers are also thick, closely cropped and smoothly finished. In fact, everything about the bootees is thicker and heavier than originals, which may please reenactors who are hard on their gear. The soles are pegged in two rows. three per inch. The pegs resembled large match sticks, 1/8 inch square, and seemed to be set randomly and not always flush with the sole; thereby resembling Confederate work. Original Federal pegs tended to be diamond shaped, 3/32 inch long and 1/16 inch wide, set flush with the sole and oriented so that the longer end faced the toe along the length of the side. The soles were also attached to the uppers using overgenerous application of cobbler's glue which is visible despite blacking. The heels are stout, but were attached with only nine nails each, two per inch. The height of the uppers in the rear was 4-1/2 inches. The bootees lacked lace holes in the vamp at the instep."

In the same article, the Fugawee bootee, not the same company as Cedar Creek Supply Depot, got in my opinion a worse review.
                              Because of this article, I purchased from MJN, who got the best review, and couldn't be happier.
                              Brent Forney

Comment

Working...
                              X