This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Fugawee Footwear

At the end of the review article Mr. Cunningham added that the MJN shoes were the best but he also added that the thought the Lammers shoes were well constructed & very durable. I was basing my opinion that he gave them a good review on the fact that the only shoes he mentioned very favorably at the conclusion of the article were the MJN shoes & the Lammers shoes.

George Eason/Ga. State Line

Comment

George,

Actually, and I am going from memory as I don't have the article here at work, it was Bill Christen I believe who said they were well constructed and durable and not Mike Cunningham who did the numerous reviews and examination of originals.
      Brent Forney

Comment

I stand corrected on that point as it was Mr. Christen who made the closing statements in the review.

George Eason/Ga. State Line

Comment

Originally posted by 49thNYVI
          Gentlemen, thank you for recommending some quality vendors to me. I just found a deal on a pair of Robert Serio boots.
          Way to go Mitchel! Keep an eye out for used high quallity stuff on the BST forum. It is allot better to pay less for a good used item than throw good money after bad buying a less than the best article.

Having a good outward impression does not need to break the bank, concentrate on one side/theater/timeperiod as PEC and as generic as you can, dont get sidetracked with other impressions (YET), get the uniforms and equipement that you can (new or used) and ask well thought out and pointed questions based on your reading. Your on your way!
          Robert Johnson

"Them fellers out thar you ar goin up against, ain't none of the blue-bellied, white-livered Yanks and sassidge-eatin'forrin' hirelin's you have in Virginny that run atthe snap of a cap - they're Western fellers, an' they'll mighty quick give you a bellyful o' fightin."

In memory of: William Garry Co.H 5th USCC KIA 10/2/64 Saltville VA.

Comment

Now I'm hoping to get a high quality hat, because my old one is falling apart.

Comment

Mr. Eason,

A couple points to your various posts:

First, it should be noted that "durable and well constructed" does not equal authentic. There are plenty of unauthentic shoes out there that are both durable and well-constructed but have little to do with period footware.

Second, you state, "I have examined original shoes & the shoes in question compared satisfactorily." In what way did they compare satisfactorily? 20 years ago, desert boots "compared satisfactorily" to CW period shoes because nothing else was available.

Bottom line, you simply cannot take a poorly made reproduction of a Federal shoe and claim it is a "Confederate variant." An accurate reproduction of any shoe, Confederate or Federal, must by definition be based on a extant shoe. A shoe having "period characteristics" is not necessarily an accurate reproduction.
              John Stillwagon

Comment

I certainly know the difference between a desert boot & CW period shoes Mr. Stillwagon. No need to be sarcastic with me, I'm not really that ignorant. God bless you.

George Eason/1st Ga. State Line

Comment

Debating society aside, Fugawee is NOT an approved vendor, and will not likely be any time soon.

So, BUYER BEWARE!

This thread is closed.

Comment

Hallo Kameraden!

When it comes to men's shoes and boots, I would point out this portion of their web site:

"Civil War shoes are pretty hard to tell apart. Once they have been stomped through the mud a few times your eye can't tell where they came from. That's when your feet will tell you that you are wearing Fugawee's Civil War shoes. Your feet are Fugawee's best salesmen."

and:

"This boot covers an amazing time period. It is ideal for many impressions from just after 1800 through 1900 and beyond. It is suitable for reunions of the Grand Army of the Republic, the 1800s miner, teamster, cattleman, farmer, Indian Wars, Cowboy Shootist, etc.. I have seen mail order catalogues printed in the 1890s that show a wide assortment of prices and qualities in styles just like the 1871 model." "

Note: And beyond to 1914: they are also recommended for WWI German Marschstiefel ("jack") boots.

If the problems to authenticity are not abundantly clear here, then I would argue that some here "Either get it, or they don't." and that they may not be quite ready for fora such as this one.

That is not being critical of Fugawee, just that they may be a vendor that serves a different segment of the CW Community than that of the AC Forum.

Curt-Heinrich Schmidt
                    Last edited by Curt Schmidt; 03-22-2004, 04:53 PM. Reason: typo
                    Curt Schmidt
                    In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
                    -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
                    -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
                    -Vastly Ignorant
                    -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

Working...
                    X