Knapsack/strap question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Knapsack/strap question

Hi, an old thread, I know, but one related to a new question: How were the straps fastened to the pack itself? A majority of the specimens that I can remember seeing had the straps sewn to the pack. Were they ever riveted, or some combination of sewn and riveted?
    Rob Weaver
    Co I, 7th Wisconsin, the "Pine River Boys"
    "We're... Christians, what read the Bible and foller what it says about lovin' your enemies and carin' for them what despitefully use you -- that is, after you've downed 'em good and hard."
    [I]Si Klegg[/I]

Comment

Gee, I didn't think it was that dumb a question! Never mind ...
      Rob Weaver
      "We're... Christians, what read the Bible and foller what it says about lovin' your enemies and carin' for them what despitefully use you -- that is, after you've downed 'em good and hard."
      [I]Si Klegg[/I]

Comment

Originally posted by Rob Weaver View Post
        How were the straps fastened to the pack itself? A majority of the specimens that I can remember seeing had the straps sewn to the pack. Were they ever riveted, or some combination of sewn and riveted?

Some originals are sewn, and some are riveted. I believe that some of the later-war ones were riveted, wtih sewn being the more common method. Enclosed is a photo of the riveted attachments of the straps to the pack for a late-war Federal gutta-percha knapsack.
        Attached Files

Comment

Thanks much! That's exactly what I was looking for!
          Rob Weaver
          [I]Si Klegg[/I]

Comment

Working...
          X