Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• North Carolina jacket questions

Hello,
    I've got a North Carolina jacket blank from Ben Tart that I'm finishing for a friend of mine. I haven't been able to locate a really detailed picture of the stitching on one of these jackets. The EOG has some nice pics, but not nearly detailed enough. My question is about the topstitching. I can't tell what type of stitch was used (machined, straight stitch, back stitch, &c.), or if the stitching was done with similar color or contrasting color thread, or if there is even any consistency in those regards between extant jackets. If anyone knows the answer to those questions or can point me in the direction of a nice detailed photo, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
    Andrew Keehan
    23 of A

Re: North Carolina jacket questions

Honestly, I'd ask Ben Tart. He knows everything you want about NC issue items.
    David H. Thomas
    Starr's NC Battery
    Fayetteville, NC

Comment

David, you're quite right and I've sent an email to Mr. Tart. Always go direct to the source.
      Andrew Keehan
      23 of A

Comment

Here is a good book if you can run a copy down to take a look at. http://www.amazon.com/State-Troops-V.../dp/0865262640
        Taylor McCullen

51st NC Co.K

Comment

Thanks Taylor! I'll see if I can dig one up.
          Andrew Keehan
          23 of A

Comment

Was just at the NC Museum of History on Monday and saw "the North Carolina jacket." Now I will say in was in an exhibit case, and I just quickly glanced at the topstitching, it appeared to be a running stitich probably in the neighborhood of 5-7 stitches per inch. Again, just looked at it quickly through the glass. Might be helpful to you, might not be. Maybe someone who has examined it can chime in...

For what it's worth,
            Respectfully,
            -Kyle M. Stetz
            Liberty Rifles

"I think the prospect for an active and laborious campaign in Virginia is pretty clear and we will again this spring renew our old occupation and struggle between life and death for six more weary months." Capt. Samuel S. Brooke 47th Va. Infantry-- March 27, 1864

Comment

Andrew:

The Amzi Leroy Williamson mid-war NC jacket and forage cap were in my possesion when photographed for the EOG publication. Although the set is currently with another private care-giver, I'd be happy to pass along your interest. If agreeable to him, you might be able to access detail pics per your specs. If you wish, please contact me at Roofus@aol.com

Cheers,

Bob McDonald
              Bob McDonald

Comment

Andrew,

Try this link.

Don Woods
                Member ABT

Comment

Working...
                X