Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• question on making a Federal IIA Shelter half

Hello All,

After much searching of the archives and the internet, I feel confident that I can make my own hand sewn shelter half. However, one question lingers that I did not find in my research......now to some this might seem like a "no-brainer", but I want to make sure I do every thing right.

So, here's my question:

When using Cotton Drill.....do you have to wash it and pre-shrink it first like regular fabrics before you sew it?
    Your Humble Servant,
    Sean R. Otis
    124th NYSV Co. A "Orange Blossoms"
    MIDDLESEX LODGE F. & A.M.

In Memorium: Harvey Otis, Jr. — 156th NYSV Co. A .
    Killed in action, September 19, 1864,
    at Winchester, VA. Aged 26 years.

Member of the "Hard Sauce" Mess

Re: question on making a Federal IIA Shelter half

Hi Sean. I would not pre-shrink it if you want it to follow the shrinkage of the original halves. If you get a chance find a copy of Fred Geades book on the topic. I'm working from memory here, but I don't recall any of the contracts he lists for drill to require shrinking. I lent my copy out, I'm sure someone that has one in hand can furnish that info.
    Scott Sheets
    Joliet, IL

36th Illinois
    Dirty Shirts

Comment

The contractors are using finished cloth at 28.5" wide. They are trying to minimize the materials they use, while still adhering to the specs given them by the Quartermaster Department. Hence, the three paneled halves with selvages on both ends. It's the same reason the later tents are usually just two panels overlapped and stitched together. The later fabric was just woven wider. The contractors are not going to shrink that cloth any more than it was when it came from the weaver. Gaede's book supposes that is one of the reasons why there is so much variation in the dimensions of surviving tents. I don't shrink the cloth for the tents I make. In my experience, it doesn't shrink a lot anyway.
      Andrew Keehan
      23 of A

Comment

I typically wash any cloth I use for any project, aside from wools. It is one of the steps in "preparing the fabric" that many sewing instructions, patterns etc mention as the first thing to do prior to beginning work. One of the main reasons I do it: to wash out as much of the sizing in the fabric, something added to most all modern fabrics. Yes, it may indeed shrink the fabric a bit. But wash on cold and LINE DRY and it shouldn't be too significant. Sizing is why when you buy new clothing wherever, the tag suggests to "Wash before wearing". Some people are allergic to it as well.

I didn't wash my cotton drill the fist time I made a half. It may have just been the maker of the drill I bought, but after a lot of handling, in the summer on a warm day, I could feel the sizing coming off on my hand. It will come off while ironing too.

If you are not familiar with sizing, google it and you'll see the many different sorts used in modern textile manufacture. I saw in Wikipedia that textiles are washed after weaving, but I fail to be able to put faith in that.

Hope this helps!
        [SIZE="3"][FONT="Century Gothic"]Matt Mickletz[/FONT][/SIZE]

[SIZE=4][SIZE=3][/SIZE][FONT=Garamond][COLOR="#800000"][/COLOR][I]Liberty Rifles[/I][/FONT][/SIZE]

Comment

The cotton drill I use shrinks a lot...however I did not wash it prior to making my shelter half. My other question is we're they handsewn? I thought with the French seams that they were machine sewn with hand sewn grommets
          Philip Guenther
          Columbia Rifles
          Living History Guild

Comment

Two words: get Gaedes. Many answers there. To answer yours quickly about hand-sewing: yes and no, depends on who made it, when it was made, etc. I haven't looked at the book or an original in a while, but to my knowledge, indeed hand-sewn grommets and buttons holes and some felling of the reenforcing squares. Have fun!
            [SIZE="3"][FONT="Century Gothic"]Matt Mickletz[/FONT][/SIZE]

[SIZE=4][SIZE=3][/SIZE][FONT=Garamond][COLOR="#800000"][/COLOR][I]Liberty Rifles[/I][/FONT][/SIZE]

Comment

If you are going to do a really good tent, you definitely should pick up the Gaede. Most type 2as (that we know of) have machined long seams and hems, with hand done grommets and buttonholes. Some of them also have hand stitching to attach the corner reinforcements. There are three examples of tents that are completely hand sewn in the Gaede book. If I recall correctly two are type 2bs and one is a type 2a. The hand sewn examples in the book are assembled with interlocked seams (see the inseam of your Levi's) with a felling stitch on each edge of the seam. Get the book because I doubt that's an adequate description.
              Andrew Keehan
              23 of A

Comment

Just bought the Gaedes book off this forum tonight. Thank you all for the helpful tips and advice!!
                Your Humble Servant,
                Sean R. Otis
                124th NYSV Co. A "Orange Blossoms"
                MIDDLESEX LODGE F. & A.M.

In Memorium: Harvey Otis, Jr. — 156th NYSV Co. A .
                Killed in action, September 19, 1864,
                at Winchester, VA. Aged 26 years.

Member of the "Hard Sauce" Mess

Comment

Working...
                X