This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flatware Storage Bags

Is there any historic documentation or original examples for the flatware storage bags sold by sutlers or are these a re-enactor-ism?
    [B][/B][B][/B][B]Bill Slavin[/B]
    SUVCW, SVR,
    Liberty Guards Mess

GG Grandson of [B]Pvt. Willis Shattuck[/B] (1842-1912), Co. F, 16th NY Vol Inf and Co. K, 73rd Ohio Vol Inf

"[I]Dig [I]Johnnies! We're coming for you!"[/I][/I]
    Six foot seven inch tall Union Brigade Commander Newton Martin Curtis as he tossed a handful of shovels over the traverse at Fort Fisher. The shovels had been sent from the rear with the suggestion of entrenching for a siege.

Re: Flatware Storage Bags

Bill,

I am not familiar with what you are asking about for documentation purposes. Can you provide photos, measurements, and/or a description to help guide the research of this discussion?

Very respectfully,
    Matt
    Matthew Semple

Comment

I think he means the cotton bags that hold a knife/fork/spoon.

Comment

Just wrap them in a cloth/handkerchief.

Comment

I think you have answered your own question.
          Beth Crabb

IN LOVING MEMORY OF
          John Crabb July 10, 1953 - Nov. 25, 2009

Comment

Didn't think so, Beth-just checking.
            It was possible that some soldier or his mother or his sweetheart or the Sanitary Commission or the Ladies Aid Society somewhere may have sewed a little storage storage bag for utensils, an original example of which is in on display in a glass case in some forgotten corner of some museum somewhere that someone knew about :)
            [B][/B][B][/B][B]Bill Slavin[/B]
            SUVCW, SVR,
            Liberty Guards Mess

GG Grandson of [B]Pvt. Willis Shattuck[/B] (1842-1912), Co. F, 16th NY Vol Inf and Co. K, 73rd Ohio Vol Inf

"[I]Dig [I]Johnnies! We're coming for you!"[/I][/I]
            Six foot seven inch tall Union Brigade Commander Newton Martin Curtis as he tossed a handful of shovels over the traverse at Fort Fisher. The shovels had been sent from the rear with the suggestion of entrenching for a siege.

Comment

Research is always welcome in this forum. Idle speculation about remote possibilities which might justify interesting junk sold by mainstream sutlers is not welcome.

My head hurts. Time for Burns and Allen to close this thread :

"Say goodnight, Gracie."
              "Goodnight Gracie!"
              Silas Tackitt,
              one of the moderators.

Click here for a link to forum rules - or don't at your own peril.

Comment

Working...
              X