This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kit layout

In the 20th century is was common for a soldier to have a card that listed and illustrated all the gear that was needed and how to lay it out in garrison (cool word) or in the field for inspection.

Perhaps some of us can conduct a similar service by laying out our full kit, shooting a decent picture or two and posting them in the Image Gallery for all to see and learn from.

Nothing rigid like a modern GI inspection, just a relaxed presentaion of what full and proper kit looks like. Accepted,standard goods only...drawers, muskets, hat liners to haversack stuffs. What ever you would normally carry on campaign.

Can we take that 20th century practice and apply it to this site?

It might help some new folks and it would be a good way to show off yo'stuff.

Something similar to these two attachments but obviously items from the first half of the sixth decade of the nineteen century.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Vuhginyuh; 03-16-2004, 02:44 PM.
    B. G. Beall (Long Gone)

Re: Kit layout

As my pards can verify, I do something similar at living history events when I do my favorite activity. It's what I call "junk on a bunk" where I lay out my mix of repro and original items and talk about the life of the common soldier.

I group things according to category: Food & Utensils ( hardtack, cup, fork/knife/spoon, plate, coffee or substitue, peas, rice, cornmeal, etc); Entertainments (pipe, tobacco twist, sulfur matches, cards, dice, letters and writing items, Bible, novels, etc); Comfort items ( camp hat, muffler, etc); extra clothing; etc. That allows for grouping according to discussion of the various subjects.

Visitors at parks love to look at this stuff and ask questions about it. It'd probably be helpful to provide some form of organization for new fellers.
    David Culberson
    The Rowdy Pards

Comment

Originally posted by Vuhginyuh
      In the 20th century is was common for a soldier to have a card that listed and illustrated all the gear that was needed and how to lay it out in garrison (cool word) or in the field for inspection.
      "Junk-on-the-bunk" inspection layouts are an artifact of the post-WW1 Army... not the National or Confederate armies of the Civil War.

The Army Regulations, as well as handbooks like Gilham's Manual for the Instruction of Volunteers and Militia, give the ritual for inspections; which were conducted in-ranks at dress parade. The process is also covered in dal Bello's PIE.

In fixed quarters or barracks, the regulations specify the weapons are to be kept in the gun racks, belts and cartridge boxes hung on pegs, spare clothing and other personal items go in the knapsack at the foot of the bed. Very simple stuff, here.

For purposes of "knapsack talks" and the like, the , the layout process that Duke describes is a good one, and I often use it myself. But it ain't the way the Old Boys got ready for inspection.

Tom
      Tom Ezell

Comment

I like to do the "junk on a bunk" thing myself. Its amazing how many questions & observations that this can bring out of the folks viewing the stuff. You can go on for twenty minutes just explaining the facts about a housewife to some folks and they are hanging on your every word. School kids especially seem to like it & most folks are really amazed that you can prepare a decent meal with just a little fire & the contents of a haversack,it gets them every time.

George Eason/Ga. State Line

Comment

Sounds like a good educational tool for people new two our aspect of the hobby.
          Robert Johnson

"Them fellers out thar you ar goin up against, ain't none of the blue-bellied, white-livered Yanks and sassidge-eatin'forrin' hirelin's you have in Virginny that run atthe snap of a cap - they're Western fellers, an' they'll mighty quick give you a bellyful o' fightin."

In memory of: William Garry Co.H 5th USCC KIA 10/2/64 Saltville VA.

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Ezell
            "Junk-on-the-bunk" inspection layouts are an artifact of the post-WW1 Army... not the National or Confederate armies of the Civil War.

The Army Regulations, as well as handbooks like Gilham's Manual for the Instruction of Volunteers and Militia, give the ritual for inspections; which were conducted in-ranks at dress parade. The process is also covered in dal Bello's PIE.

In fixed quarters or barracks, the regulations specify the weapons are to be kept in the gun racks, belts and cartridge boxes hung on pegs, spare clothing and other personal items go in the knapsack at the foot of the bed. Very simple stuff, here.

For purposes of "knapsack talks" and the like, the , the layout process that Duke describes is a good one, and I often use it myself. But it ain't the way the Old Boys got ready for inspection.

Tom

Tom

I dont think that Garrison is talking about doing this for living history reasons rather, for this site and its fledgling members.
            Robert Johnson

"Them fellers out thar you ar goin up against, ain't none of the blue-bellied, white-livered Yanks and sassidge-eatin'forrin' hirelin's you have in Virginny that run atthe snap of a cap - they're Western fellers, an' they'll mighty quick give you a bellyful o' fightin."

In memory of: William Garry Co.H 5th USCC KIA 10/2/64 Saltville VA.

Comment

Twenty years ago, when I was a fresh fish, our C.O. used to do what he called a "square haversack inspection", and although I can find no basis for this historically, it was a good way to begin the process of weeding out the farbism for us. Our kits were laid out on a haversack laid out flat and if they didn't fit in that space, we were encouraged to "lighten the load".

Since then, I have spent vastly inappropriate sums on stuff that wasn't accurate or didn't fit in with the primary impression for the unit. I have also done the junk on the bunk demo, and while it might be great for the public, it never really taught me how to size down my kit, and figure out what I could do without. Experience for me was the best instructor. If I carried it on an event and didn't use it once, it left my kit for good, and this continual process keeps me improving my impression.

Just the thoughts of a recovering skinners row sucker.
              Joel Kelley
              Joel Kelley

Comment

What are, "hat liners" and "haversack stuffs?"
                John Stillwagon

Comment

Working...
                X