Flatware Storage Bag Example

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flatware Storage Bag Example

In response to the question that was asked about flatware bags and then shut down, I have found an example. On page 151 of the John Henry Kurtz catalog there is a flatware storage bag made of white canvas which measures 7.5" and closes with a metal hasp.

Adam Dickerson
    Adam Dickerson

Re: Flatware Storage Bag Example

Research is always appreciated -- thanks.
    Michael A. Schaffner

Comment

It seems to me that every new discovery begins with idle speculation about a reasonable possibility. It turns out that the chances that someone used a flatware case to keep their eating utensils clean, together, and protected from poking holes in the haversack liner was not so remote after all. With millions of soldiers there are bound to be more examples. I was merely curious-not looking for "farb support". The response was uncalled for. Thanks for your help.
      [B][/B][B][/B][B]Bill Slavin[/B]
      SUVCW, SVR,
      Liberty Guards Mess

GG Grandson of [B]Pvt. Willis Shattuck[/B] (1842-1912), Co. F, 16th NY Vol Inf and Co. K, 73rd Ohio Vol Inf

"[I]Dig [I]Johnnies! We're coming for you!"[/I][/I]
      Six foot seven inch tall Union Brigade Commander Newton Martin Curtis as he tossed a handful of shovels over the traverse at Fort Fisher. The shovels had been sent from the rear with the suggestion of entrenching for a siege.

Comment

Can you post a photo with the description for those that do not have the catalog?
        Respectfully,

Jeremy Bevard
        Civil War Digital Digest
        Sally Port Mess

Comment

This is it: http://historical.ha.com/c/item.zx?s...15&lotNo=57691
          Paul Boccadoro
          Liberty Rifles

“Costumes are just lies that you wear.” –Stephen Colbert

Comment

I have a small oilcloth back that I use in my haversack that has a button closure. Not based on anything, really... its just a bag. Like a lot of reenactors, I carry an original knife and fork, both of which are sharp. After reaching in and cutting a finger on the knife, as well as having the tines of the fork poke through the haversack, I used an item I had on-hand to keep those items together. Its been working for 20 years.

With regard to that item on ha.com...
            I am curious if close examination would reveal that the bag is a modified "change purse" or some similar item. Its hard to fathom an elaborate closure being put on a simple canvas "ditty bag".

With regard to the earlier thread...
            Its hard to look at a reproduction item (or any other item you can dream up) and discern "did they have something like this?" Like me when I cut my finger, when "The Old Fellows" had a problem, they found a solution. If you're doing period activities with nothing but historically-accurate equipment, you're bound to run into the same problems they did...
            ...and maybe the same solutions!

That's the fun of it, if you ask me!
            John Wickett
            Former Carpetbagger
            Administrator (We got rules here! Be Nice - Sign Your Name - No Farbisms)

Comment

Awesome thinking John!
              Mike McGee
              Cure All Mess ~ Hard Case Boys
              Co A, 4th Tennessee Infantry Regiment "The Shelby Greys"
              Co C, 25th Regiment, Indiana Infantry

Pvt. Francis "Frank" Agee- G, G, G-Uncle
              Co H, 22nd Tennessee Infantry Regiment
              KIA Battle of Shiloh-April 6, 1862
              Resting in Peace on that Hallowed Ground

Comment

I'll be as constructive as I can here. In my 20 years in the hobby, I have witnessed a number of guys become discouraged because they asked a question about their impression and were given a dismissive or condescending answer. I do not know Mr. Slavin...never met him in my life, but I feel that he was treated rather harshly for asking a question on a board that is for beginners and "basic" questions.

This forum is a great tool for anyone wishing to improve their knowledge of the Civil War. I hope that this continues to be a place for everyone from beginner to very experienced to feel comfortable both asking questions and sharing knowledge.

Adam Dickerson
                Last edited by adamandnicole; 11-13-2012, 08:59 PM.
                Adam Dickerson

Comment

The following is taken from the Workman's Guide

A Knife or Fork Case

This is usually made of green baize, and is used for wrapping up knives and forks (both steel and dessert or silver), when not is daily use. The knives are put in one case and the forks in another. These cases are made out of half or a whole breadth of the baize, according to the width. After cutting sufficient length to hold six or twelve knives, allowing at one end enough to tie over...the rest goes on to give further instructions on how to cut the rest of the pattern.
                  Picture a case that when un folded has individual slots for several knives or forks along the length. When it has a full complement of utensils and is ready to be transported or stored it has a top flap to be folded over the open end and then rolled up and uses a piece of attached cotton tape to keep it closed.
                  I hope this helps and its not too terrible of a description but I don't have a way to scan the plate.
                  Tyler Underwood
                  Pawleys Island #409 AFM
                  Governor Guards, WIG

Click here for the AC rules.

The search function located in the upper right corner of the screen is your friend.

Comment

Xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
                    Last edited by Elaine Kessinger; 11-15-2012, 08:24 AM. Reason: Sorry, modern items are not appropriate for the topic
                    -Elaine "Ivy Wolf" Kessinger

Comment

I like the measurements provided in the 'Workwoman's Guide'.
                      2 1/4 inches equals a nail.
                      4 nails equals a quarter.
                      4 quarter equals a yard.
                      Mike Stein
                      Remuddeled Kitchen Mess

Comment

Working...
                      X