This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Question on carrying tin cups.

I usually carry my tin cup in my haversack since I would put my meat ration in the cup or my cornmeal or flour in it. And I don't like my cup banging against the other gear on me.
    Philip D. Brening
    Austin's Battalion of sharpshooters Co.A

"Somebody put water in my boots" Pvt. John D. Timmermanm
    3rd New York Cavalry

Comment

Originally posted by huntdaw View Post
      I don't even carry a cup. Only thing besides food that I carry in the haversack is a canteen half or tin bowl and a spoon.
      Bully to you Mr Comer for not carrying a cup as they were not a regulation item but re-enactors all choose to carry the same thing making it a re-enactorism.

Sam Hayle
      Uses a bowl for a drinking cup mess

Comment

You carry yout cup, where it's most comfortable for you. Just like they did.
        [FONT="Book Antiqua"]"Grumpy" Dave Towsen
        Past President Potomac Legion
        Long time member Columbia Rifles
        Who will care for Mother now?[/FONT]

Comment

In the biography " MG Robert E. Rodes of the Army of Northern Virginia" by Darrell L. Collins, on page 288 I quote, "Rodes designated Ramseur's command, which held the right front of the advancing division,as the brigade upon which the advance would be directed. "Boys, Ramseur told his men before they moved out, "I want you to take off your canteens and haversacks and leave them in a pile right her. We've got to take those breastworks up yonder, and we don't want any noise. Take nothing but you cartridge boxes and guns." This and the study of original photographs would seem to indicate that the tin cups were carried on the haversack strap in most cases.

Please Note:

Sir, please sign your name to every post. I recommend the signature function in your profile.

Last edited by LibertyHallVols; 11-28-2012, 09:33 PM.

Comment

john painter, is LOL a period correct expression ? After posing my original question, and getting good answers, I looked at many period photos and saw that only a small fraction wore their cups hanging from haversack straps. Apparently not all even had dippers.

"I want you to take off your canteens and haversacks and leave them in a pile right her. We've got to take those breastworks up yonder, and we don't want any noise. Take nothing but you cartridge boxes and guns." This is NOT evidence of carrying cups on straps. The leaving of canteens and haversacks behind would increase efficiency of movement. Not wanting any noise would more likely indicate no loud talking, commands &c.

With all due respect, it is a reenactorism to "promote" carrying cups on haversacks by everyone just because everyone else does or because , although it may be period correct, only a few isolated individuals did.

It was a personal choice, as others have said. Carrying no cup or carrying it inside your haversack seems to be a more "period correct" impression.

Cheers

Jon Wood

P.S. The only thing more annoying than a dangling dipper is a banging boiler.
            Last edited by Jon Wood; 11-28-2012, 05:27 PM.
            Jon Wood

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Wood View Post
              With all due respect, it is a reenactorism to "promote" carrying cups on haversacks by everyone just because everyone else does or because , although it may be period correct, only a few isolated individuals did.

It was a personal choice, as others have said. Carrying no cup or carrying it inside your haversack seems to be a more "period correct" impression.
              Sir:
              This is the "Camp of Instruction". You have asked a question and have been given evidence that either method is "period correct". There is no such thing as "more" period correct... its like being pregnant: You is or you ain't.

Written and photographic evidence exists to justify either method which is backed up by experience in the field by living historians using replica equipment. Its a matter of practicality and preference. If the noise bothers you, that's also a matter of preference, just like the "Princess and the Pea".
              John Wickett
              Former Carpetbagger
              Administrator (We got rules here! Be Nice - Sign Your Name - No Farbisms)

Comment

Originally posted by GrumpyDave View Post

You carry yout cup, where it's most comfortable for you. Just like they did.
                Great image Dave. What regiment was Captain Nesbit in?
                Robert Johnson

"Them fellers out thar you ar goin up against, ain't none of the blue-bellied, white-livered Yanks and sassidge-eatin'forrin' hirelin's you have in Virginny that run atthe snap of a cap - they're Western fellers, an' they'll mighty quick give you a bellyful o' fightin."

In memory of: William Garry Co.H 5th USCC KIA 10/2/64 Saltville VA.

Comment

63d PA : http://www.nps.gov/civilwar/search-s...6-b8ac6f5d926a
                  Silas Tackitt,
                  one of the moderators.

Click here for a link to forum rules - or don't at your own peril.

Comment

Gentlemen,

Thank you. I like my neighbor's cat. Please forgive me for pushing the issue.

This is my last comment on this subject. Lesson learned,and
                    I do try to learn something new everyday. :o

Cheers,

Jon Wood
                    Jon Wood

Comment

Working...
                    X