Matches and the Soldier

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Matches and the Soldier

A cursory Google search on period matches has me confused. I remember hearing years ago about the Star Match Co. and seeing examples in collections. However, a search for the company turns up one in Portland. Except that one didn't start producing matches until 1866 from what I can tell. So, who did manufacture a nationally recognized match?

Second, was the ubiquitous match an issue item or strictly private purchase? I have not yet come across any documentation of issue.

Thanks!
    Eric Giese
    Eric Giese, Hogg Mess

Re: Matches and the Soldier

[QUOTE=gnpgoat;230206]Second, was the ubiquitous match an issue item or strictly private purchase? I have not yet come across any documentation of issue.

Thanks!
    Eric Giese

[/QClick image for larger version

Name:	Matches2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	119.8 KB
ID:	223585Click image for larger version

Name:	matches.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	49.2 KB
ID:	223586UOTE]

Here are a couple of match examples. The fresh looking one is suppoed to be from Bannermans and appear to be stamped "US 1862". Issued?? I don't know but if it is stamped it is usually gov. issue.
    The older looking block came with items belonging to Col. Fowler of the 14th NY. I think these are civilian purchased.
    Jim Mayo
    Portsmouth Rifles, Company G, 9th Va. Inf.

CW Show and Tell Site
    http://www.angelfire.com/ma4/j_mayo/index.html

Comment

Re: Matches and the Soldier

Might want to contact the folks at "Sutler of Fort Scott" as they reproduce a box of matches. They seem to have done their research and have some original examples. Here's the repro link: http://www.sutleroffortscott.com/osc...s0p4dt21tg12s5

They do mention (in their "originals" section, click on the match strips and they describe them a bit) something about the "US" and dates marked on some strips being determined as most likely bogus by historians and collectors. Stating that they were added by dealers to increase value. Dunno if you've ever heard this , Mr. Mayo, I never had. Can't say it's unbelievable.

Best,
      Last edited by Mutt; 11-25-2012, 11:08 PM.
      [SIZE="3"][FONT="Century Gothic"]Matt Mickletz[/FONT][/SIZE]

[SIZE=4][SIZE=3][/SIZE][FONT=Garamond][COLOR="#800000"][/COLOR][I]Liberty Rifles[/I][/FONT][/SIZE]

Comment

Working...
      X