Commutation jackets for Ky Orphans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Commutation jackets for Ky Orphans

Hey everybody I'm new to the forums , and I have a question . Are there any records of the companies the original " Kentucky orphans " such as the third Ky wearing commutation jackets like the ones sold on WW & co. Website ? Thanks for the help . YOBS John Davis Prince
    John Davis Prince

Re: Commutation jackets for Ky Orphans

things you need to do :

(1) Pick up the phone.

(2) Dial this number : 517-303-3609

(3) When someone answers, say this : "Is this Dan? I've got a question for you. Are there any records of the companies the original "Kentucky orphans" such as the third Ky wearing commutation jackets like the ones sold on your website?"

Seriously, if you've got a question about something sold by someone, a good place to start is asking the seller, especially if the seller is one of the authorized vendors on this site. When it's Wambaugh and White, be prepared for a lengthy phone call about the item. It think that's a good thing, not a bad thing ....
    Silas Tackitt,
    one of the moderators.

Click here for a link to forum rules - or don't at your own peril.

Comment

Price,you'll need to sign your whole name.Just letting you know for future reference.
      John Jackman mentions that when he enlisted,he was issued a gray "short coat"(jacket) and matching trousers.I believe Shiloh or Stones River has a coat worn in 61 that was a grey frock with a little blue trim.I believe the jacket Wambaugh sells is the CD type I,which was gov't issued.Most of the war,the Orphans would receive gov't issued clothing because they could not receive clothing because KY being under Federal control.Check Thompson's "History of the First Kentucky Brigade".It's the official brigade history,and may have info.Hope this helps a little.
      Cullen Smith
      South Union Guard

"Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore always carry a small snake"~W.C. Fields

"When I drink whiskey, I drink whiskey; and when I drink water, I drink water."~Michaleen Flynn [I]The Quiet Man[/I]

Comment

John:

Cullen's point about Jackman's account [as can be found in William C. Davis's edited account, "Diary of a Confederate Soldier," if interested] is a very good one and something to which I'd like to add the following. Jackman was very well-read, of some social/economic means, and has an interesting line in the diary where he discusses a soldier derisively referred to as "Brown Jeans" [p. 31 in the Davis volume]. The notation is drawn from April 1862, and the soldier was attired in "butternut jeans" and spoke with a strong accent that, I guess, affronted Jackman's sensibilities or, at the very least, betrayed his better socio-economic standing. To my point, though, in this early period there was an obvious variation in materials and jacket types as Cullen notes, and at least for a period someone with money might have avoided wearing clothing of "inferior" fabric, thereby suggesting your choice should be informed by your persona. I hope this helps!

Thank you, Jim Broomall

Comment

To Silas' Point...
          1) I have had many great conversations with vendors simply because I had questions about something they produce. Generally, you will find them to be knowledgeable and helpful.
          2) A vendor is going to know the specifics of an item they chose to (re)produce.

Thanks for posting! This is what the "Camp of Instruction" is all about!
          John Wickett
          Former Carpetbagger
          Administrator (We got rules here! Be Nice - Sign Your Name - No Farbisms)

Comment

Have you checked Geoff Walden's photo database on this site: http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~orphanhm/photogal.htm
            Last edited by roundshot; 11-30-2012, 09:07 AM.
            Bob Williams
            26th North Carolina Troops
            Blogsite: http://26nc.org/blog/

As [one of our cavalry] passed by, the general halted him and inquired "what part of the army he belonged to." "I don't belong to the army, I belong to the cavalry." "That's a fact," says [the general], "you can pass on." Silas Grisamore, 18th Louisiana

Comment

Thanks for the help every one I found what I needed, it is very much appreciated.
              John Davis Prince

Comment

As to clothing don't discount soldier/artist Conrad Wise Chapman's painting of the 3rd Kentucky in camp after the Battle of Shiloh, panel details from which are attached.
                Attached Files
                Bob Williams
                26th North Carolina Troops
                Blogsite: http://26nc.org/blog/

As [one of our cavalry] passed by, the general halted him and inquired "what part of the army he belonged to." "I don't belong to the army, I belong to the cavalry." "That's a fact," says [the general], "you can pass on." Silas Grisamore, 18th Louisiana

Comment

Most KY jackets that are identified tend to be what we call the "Columbus Depot" style. There are several of them that can be seen on the links provided above. The Third most likely had these as they were in the same area as regiments that they are documented to. As you know, however, the 3rd wasn't part of the Orphan Brigade proper, so we have to remember that when doing research. For mid '63 forward, it's best to look at what Forrest's troops were wearing/where they were receiving uniforms from since the 3rd was mounted under Forrest by early 1864. Try looking on Ken Knopp's Confederate Saddles site for info on Forrest's men, for starters.
                  Chris Utley
                  South Union Mills
                  [url]www.southunionmills.com[/url]
                  [url]www.facebook.com/southunionmills[/url]

Comment

You guys are awesome. We are a new unit in Ohio doing both 3rd OVI and 4th KY (CSA). I have been looking around for some references for KY clothes and this was a great help! There is a Frock from, I believe a member of the 7th KY at Stones River, it had the blue trim, it also had the KY buttons that are for better words "puffy" on it that are available at some sutlers.
                    H. Rick Compton

4th OVI, 30th OVI

1SG (RET) Ohio Army National Guard Aviation
                    OIF/OEF
                    Lodge 240 Groveport, OH

[I][B]"Southern by birth, Yankee, because my parents didn't like the humidity!"[/B][/I]

Comment

Those are more correctly termed "Muffin Style" buttons, and be careful as many of those state buttons on extant coats are post war replacements.
                      Michael Semann
                      AC Staff Member Emeritus.

Comment

The frock at Murfreesboro is from the 9th KY.
                        Chris Utley
                        South Union Mills
                        [url]www.southunionmills.com[/url]
                        [url]www.facebook.com/southunionmills[/url]

Comment

I do beleive that there is mention of a frock similar to the 9th KY frock worn by the 4th.We know that in the early war,the 5th KY (not 5th/9th) was wearing mostly civies while doing guard detail in eastern KY.
                          Cullen Smith
                          South Union Guard

"Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore always carry a small snake"~W.C. Fields

"When I drink whiskey, I drink whiskey; and when I drink water, I drink water."~Michaleen Flynn [I]The Quiet Man[/I]

Comment

Originally posted by Rick C. View Post
                            You guys are awesome. We are a new unit in Ohio doing both 3rd OVI and 4th KY (CSA). I have been looking around for some references for KY clothes and this was a great help! There is a Frock from, I believe a member of the 7th KY at Stones River, it had the blue trim, it also had the KY buttons that are for better words "puffy" on it that are available at some sutlers.
                            The frock coat on display at Stones River NBP was worn by Pvt. Henry Hall, Company A, 4th Ky. Inf, killed at Murfreesboro. It is displayed with a letter written back to his family by a comrade that indicates that he was not wearing the frock at Murfreesboro; I believe the letter says it was found in his trunk (don't have a copy of the letter with me). It was likely a Kentucky State Guard coat. http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~orphanhm/uniforms.htm
                            Greg Walden

Comment

Working...
                            X