Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Developing a 1st person impression

Hello,

As winter quickly approaches, I know I have a lot of sewing to do, but between stitches I plan on working on developing a proper 1st person persona. Since in the 21st century I am a teacher, I thought I would portray an enlisted man that had been a teacher in civilian life. I have some ideas, such as including a copy of McGufee's reader in my pack, but that is where I sort of hit the wall. I reach out to you, esteemed forum, to solicit you opinions, suggestions or, dare I say, criticisms.

Kind Sirs and Gentle Ladies, I thank you in advance.
    Your Humble Servant,
    Sean R. Otis
    124th NYSV Co. A "Orange Blossoms"
    MIDDLESEX LODGE F. & A.M.

In Memorium: Harvey Otis, Jr. — 156th NYSV Co. A .
    Killed in action, September 19, 1864,
    at Winchester, VA. Aged 26 years.

Member of the "Hard Sauce" Mess

Re: Developing a 1st person impression

Why would you lug around a text book in your knapsack (or slate and pencil for that matter which I have seen someone else do)? What use would a soldier have for it? Bibles, Dimb novels and news papers sure but a school text book?

I would say develope some stories about your classroom and some of the students you have had. "This one time, at band camp, er, I mean my one room school house...." My mother was a teacher and has all kinds of classroom stories. There are many school house museums around. Check those out to learn about teaching methods in 19th century to add flavor to your classroom stories. Get yourself a nice scar on the palm of your hand and say that is from a wicked splinter from the paddle used for discipline.

I have a small collection of pre-civil war text books... lemme just say... folks back then learned way more than kids today!!!

Perhaps some of your former students (not knowing your age) are in your regiment or company with you. That would make for some nice fir-pir interactions. Certainly a few parents of your students are in the ranks with you.

Enjoy your research process... thats the fun part!
    Brad Ireland
    Old Line Mess
    4th VA CO. A
    SWB

Comment

Sean, check out my post on period text books http://www.authentic-campaigner.com/...g-school-books

Also check out A Cultural Encyclopedia of 1850's in America http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...0's+in+America I own a copy myself and it is worth every penny!
      Last edited by Tyler Underwood; 12-05-2012, 12:49 PM. Reason: Added more info
      Tyler Underwood
      Pawleys Island #409 AFM
      Governor Guards, WIG

Click here for the AC rules.

The search function located in the upper right corner of the screen is your friend.

Comment

Here are some additional questions you may want to think about:
        -Did you live in a rural community, or an urban one?
        -Was it a large school, or a one-room school house?
        -Did you teach all ages, or a select group?
        -Did you teach boys and girls, or only boys?
        -Are you married, or single?
        -Where did you live, a boarding house, with the family of students, or was there a room for you at the school?
        -Where did your meals come from, did you purchase them, can you cook (and did you have access to a place to do so), or were they provided (i. e. at the boarding house)?
        -Was there a girl back home you had your eye on?
        -Were your parents supportive of your teaching career, or not?
        -What did your father do for a living?
        -Was this career a step up, or down for you, financially/socially?
        -Where were you educated?

These are all things you would have known about your former life, and things that can easily make their way into conversation with your pards.
        i.e. cooking- "I've never had to prepare my own meals, I can burn tea, someone else needs to handle the mess." "dang i sure miss the bread Mrs. Smith used to serve with meals at the boarding house." etc.

The best fir-pir experience I ever had was doing HBC at Ft. Nisqually, I was a NYer born and raised and my husband had moved me out West with delusions of settling the territory single-handedly for the US. I was talking in the parlor with Mrs. Tolmie about my life in NY. (I had actually just come from there, and had visited a period house museum from the same decade) I was able to talk about "my home" and the way the houses were built, where we got our water, and the amenities "we" had available.

HTH,
        Micaila
        M. Micaila Curtin

Comment

Read the story of the school in Burke, NY, in Laura Ingalls Wilder's "Farmer Boy." Perhaps you'll want for a bullwhip instead of a book.

-steve tyler
          [FONT=Times New Roman]-steve tyler-[/FONT]

Comment

And also the book "Life in Civil War America" describes the education in an overview. The library would proabbly have this book on their shelves to look at.
            Philip D. Brening
            Austin's Battalion of sharpshooters Co.A

"Somebody put water in my boots" Pvt. John D. Timmermanm
            3rd New York Cavalry

Comment

Heres a thought...Carry a few extra sheets of paper and envelopes and a pen or pincil , and use your sckoolin to rite letrs two othr solgers folks and familys for thum. Whatcha think??? Merry Christmas plm
              Save me a place at the fire,

Paul L Muller

Comment

Working...
              X