Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Affixing a paper label in a cap

Hello,

Does anyone know the best correct way to affix a paper label into a cap? Any assistance would be great, I was considering hide glue if I can find it.
    Your Humble Servant,
    Sean R. Otis
    124th NYSV Co. A "Orange Blossoms"
    MIDDLESEX LODGE F. & A.M.

In Memorium: Harvey Otis, Jr. — 156th NYSV Co. A .
    Killed in action, September 19, 1864,
    at Winchester, VA. Aged 26 years.

Member of the "Hard Sauce" Mess

Re: Affixing a paper label in a cap

Old style will be Behlen hide glue. It comes in granules and you'll need a double boiler. It's available at luthier supplies like Stewart-Mac Donald or specialty wood working stores like Woodcraft. There is another more modern form which comes liquid and is sometimes available at the big box stores. Brand names are Franklin and Gorilla. I've no experience with the new liquids. As you only need a little bit, I'd check local for accoustical musical instrument repair. It's the glue of choice for mandolins, violins, cello, double bass and guitar repair. Folks that specialize in antique furniture restoration might be another source.
    Mike Stein
    Remuddeled Kitchen Mess

Comment

Hallo!

I have tried "Gorilla" glue. But have not mastered it.

It looks like hide glue, being transparent brown, but behaves differently. It expands several times its own volume or "foams" so what seem sot be a normal amount of glue expands out and makes a mess.
      Plus, I have had three bottles.. each used one time... and it hardens in the bottle in a week or three even when stored upside down to minimize air in the bottle. I have had a (plastic) bottle of hide glue for over ten years.

There is also a "milder" weaker version that still can be found, "mucilage" by Elmer's Glue and some other companies like LePage.

Or sundry kitchen top recipes for making "mucilage" cooking it from powdered gelatin, vinegar, and lemon extract.

Curt
      Curt Schmidt
      In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
      -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
      -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
      -Vastly Ignorant
      -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

Herr Schmidt,

Guten Morgen! This is the receipt I found for Envelope mucilage. Do you think it will stay affixed to cloth?

Step 1: You will need the following ingredients to make envelope mucilage: 6 tablespoons of pure white vinegar, 4 packets (1 ounce total) of unflavored gelatin, 1 tablespoon pure lemon extract.

Step 2: Bring the vinegar to a boil in a small pan. As soon as it starts to boil turn the heat to low.

Step 3: Add the four packets of unflavored gelatin to the boiling hot vinegar and stir until the gelatin is completely dissolved.

Step 4: Remove the pan from the heat and add the lemon extract and stir until the extract is well mixed.

Step 5: Apply the mucilage to the flap of your envelope with any small brush such as a small tip paint brush or even a make up brush. You may also use a Q-Tip type cotton swab.

Step 6: After applying the mucilage to the envelope let it dry. When you want to use the envelope just lick it like you would any envelope and seal it.

Step 7: Store any leftover envelope mucilage in a small glass jar such as a baby food jar. It will keep for several months without spoiling. It will thicken when it's cooled. To use it again, put the closed jar in a bowl of warm water to let the mucilage melt. Do not add water to the mucilage.

Danke!
        Your Humble Servant,
        Sean R. Otis

Comment

Not sure Gorilla Glue was around in 1860's but what do I know....

Comment

Well, Gorrilla's were much more prevalent in the 1860's, so rendering them down for glue was probably pretty common....LOL!!!
            Your Humble Servant,
            Sean R. Otis

Comment

Hallo!

it is essentially polyurethane, the same stuff found on thousands of un "de-farbed' Italian firearm stocks for decades- often times replaced with another modern compound known as Boiled Linseed Oil.

:) :) :)

Curt
              Curt Schmidt
              In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
              -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
              -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
              -Vastly Ignorant
              -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

Working...
              X