Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Repainting a Knapsack in cold weather

Hello,

Well, the saga to repaint a knapsack continues.....Has anyone experienced the effects of repainting in cold weather? I,unfortunately, don't have a heated outbuilding or garage and I am concerned about painting in the basement which is within 20 feet of the furnace and propane water heater ( worried about fumes and pilot lights). What are the negative ramifications (if any) of drying in very cold weather?

Thanks!
    Your Humble Servant,
    Sean R. Otis
    124th NYSV Co. A "Orange Blossoms"
    MIDDLESEX LODGE F. & A.M.

In Memorium: Harvey Otis, Jr. — 156th NYSV Co. A .
    Killed in action, September 19, 1864,
    at Winchester, VA. Aged 26 years.

Member of the "Hard Sauce" Mess

Re: Repainting a Knapsack in cold weather

Aside from not adhering well to fabric, taking a much longer to dry/cure, if at all, and creating a fire hazard, I see no negative ramifications. If possible, I'd wait until warmer days when you can do the job outdoors.
    A.Redd
    Andy Redd

Comment

If interested in keeping to what was close to the paint product used, I think you would be safe in the basement. I don't have the formula for the paint product used in front of me,but I believe it was very similar to the water based latex products of today. James Owens of the First Minnesota has some great research information on the products used for this.

Cheers
      George Taggart
      George Taggart

Comment

Sean, its not so much the fumes and being near open flame as it is the actual drying itself. As boiled linseed oil dries it gets hot, thats why you don't want to do it inside. I have personally seen what happens when rags soaked with the oil do, dang near burned down the building I work in.
        Tyler Underwood
        Pawleys Island #409 AFM
        Governor Guards, WIG

Click here for the AC rules.

The search function located in the upper right corner of the screen is your friend.

Comment

I often painted in cold weather. For me it seems, that the paint gets harder,because of the longlasting Drying, and so easier will break, than things I paint over 0 ° Celsius.
          Christof Bastert a.k.a Charles Kaiser, Private,
          Co D, 17th Mo Vol Inf (Re)

In Memory of Anthony and Joseph Schaer,
          Borlands Regiment/ 62nd Ark. Militia/Adams Inf./Cokes Inf.

German Mess

Comment

Concerning cold weather canvas treatments.... Even here in South Carolina it gets cold, probably not as much or for as long as up North but it does and anything can happen when you use period formulas concerning knapsack re-do's. As stated linseed oil either boiled (which wasn't used weve been told) or raw reacts differently due to temp and humidity. Hence we try to set up a good bit of painted stock in late Fall before the first frost. Its just not a good idea to repaint in the winter especially if you have no safe place to cure out the process. Nothing works better than good ol' Sunshine to correctly set the process in motion. You should really wait till a nice Spring day to work it outside for all reasons , health, quality of the finish and curing. And from personal experience stay away from drying under heatlamps or use of comercial drying systems....just sayin'' Paul Lopes......
            paul lopes

Comment

Working...
            X