Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spare Cylinders An Officer Might Carry?

During the war, how many loaded cylinders (if any), might an officer have had with him when going into actual combat?

Re: Spare Cylinders An Officer Might Carry?

Mere supposition on my part but I would think none. He has a company, brigade, division etc as his weapon and his job is command and control, not being in a firefight with pistols drawn.
    Michael Comer
    one of the moderator guys

Comment

I have never seen any evidence to suggest that cylinders were used as detachable magazines on revolvers during the war. I don't know everything, just saying I've never seen evidence to support it. Until someone convinces me otherwise, I will persist in my belief that it is a Hollywood contrivance.
      John Wickett
      Former Carpetbagger
      Administrator (We got rules here! Be Nice - Sign Your Name - No Farbisms)

Comment

Keep in mind that if an officer carried a revolver it was for mere self defense as Mr Comer stated above an officer's task was not to fight personally against the enemy but lead his men to do so.
        Jan H.Berger
        Hornist

German Mess
        http://germanmess.de/

www.lederarsenal.com

"Und setzet ihr nicht das Leben ein, nie wird euch das Leben gewonnen sein."( Friedrich Schiller)

Comment

Originally posted by LibertyHallVols View Post
          I have never seen any evidence to suggest that cylinders were used as detachable magazines on revolvers during the war. I don't know everything, just saying I've never seen evidence to support it. Until someone convinces me otherwise, I will persist in my belief that it is a Hollywood contrivance.
          Hollywood can take information out of context that is for sure.

Colt Patersons are the only revolvers that I know of that seem to have had spare cylinders as a factory option

Fred Lucas

Member, Company of Military Historians, Filson Historical Society & American Historical Association

Comment

At what point did commercial pre-packaged rounds appear on the market?

Given that 5-nozzle powder flask shown with those patternsons, it would almost appear that the cylinders were intended to be charged and/or loaded with the cylinder dismounted from the piece. If loading is a long, tedious process with loose ball and powder and must be done with a disassembled pistol, then an extra cylindar might make some sense.

However, by the time of the war, prepackaged rounds were in common use. Loading was simply a matter of drop, ram, repeat, then cap the cones.
            John Wickett
            Former Carpetbagger

Comment

Totally agree that cartridges are the way to go for ACW military impressions. Texican's in the 30's & 40's its not so cut and dried.....
              Fred Lucas

Member, Company of Military Historians, Filson Historical Society & American Historical Association

Comment

I've seen a few pictures of company grade officers carrying only one cylinder box. I've never seen any more on a belt. I will look for the pictures ASAP. The officers seem to be carrying a Remington new army model as well, in both photos.
                Jonathan Siltman
                24th Missouri Vol. Inf.
                Bully Boys Mess
                www.24thmissouri.org
                Ft. Sill Museum Gun Crew
                Good ol' Fashion Troublemaker

Comment

Jonathan can you post links?
                  Thanks

Comment

With no intent to be disrespectful...

I am highly dubious that pics show "cylinder boxes". An unidentified belt-carried accoutrement worn by a revolver toting soldier/officer does not a "cylinder box" make. I would need to see multiple forms of evidence before I were to believe this practice were undertaken...
                    - Extant "cylinder boxes" with provenance/documentation proving that was the intended/actual use of the object.
                    - Orders placed and/or delivered from Colt, Remington, Manhattan, etc. for "a pistol and X extra cylinders".
                    - A letter from a someone stating that they were doing that practice.
                    - Some documentation of someone ordering, buying, requesting, or using a "spare cylinder box".

This stuff cropped up around the time "Pale Rider" came out. Since then, I've seen humped up fake "relics" and a lot of "if they'd had it..." kind of talk.

Waiting for proof.
                    (sound of gauntlet hitting the ground)
                    John Wickett
                    Former Carpetbagger

Comment

Here are 2 more cased Patersons with spare cylinders.

But like LHV, Id like to see something from later, such as a spare cylinder being offered for sale as a factory option to put such practice in the ACW period.
                      Fred Lucas

Comment

I'm Looking through my books to find the two photographs. I say they are cylinder boxes because of the shape and size. It is just my opinion, I could be wrong, but I think it is a good guess. I will post links as soon as I find my source. I know that the navy did have a style of cylinder box that held two spare cylinders, but I too would be a little speculative of many, if any foot officers carried them. I look forward to you mens opinions on the photographs when I post them.
                        Jonathan Siltman
                        24th Missouri Vol. Inf.
                        Bully Boys Mess
                        www.24thmissouri.org
                        Ft. Sill Museum Gun Crew

Comment

Hallo!

One would have to look into the civillian market for paper or foil cartridges.

The Government was slow to act. it was not until 1847 that the Army bought its first Colt revolvers. initially the "Walkers" were intended to be used with loose powder and ball. The 1849 Ordnance Manual did not cover revolver cartridges.

But defects in the powder flasks being used, led to complaints and in 1850, a trial issuance of cartridges was ordered made up by the San Antonio Depot. By 1855 St. Louis Arsenal was in production (Not much demand in a "peacetime" army).
                          In 1855, Colt got their first order for their own "brand" of cartridges for the Army.
                          With the War, patents and production of revolver cartridges boomed.

Not relevent to this discussion, but sales of "extra" cylinders do not appear in any numbers until after the War, when the first of the late 60's and early 70's sales of surplus revolvers converted to metallic cartridge sometimes included a percussion (AKA cap and ball) cylinder to allow a customer to go back to paper cartridge if needed or desired.

Curt
                          Curt Schmidt
                          In gleichem Schritt und Tritt, Curt Schmidt

-Hard and sharp as flint...secret, and self-contained, and solitary as an oyster.
                          -Haplogroup R1b M343 (Subclade R1b1a2 M269)
                          -Pointless Folksy Wisdom Mess, Oblio Lodge #1
                          -Vastly Ignorant
                          -Often incorrect, technically, historically, factually.

Comment

Well as I, nor my father, who I asked to search the books at his house, were able to find the photos, I can not provide any light on the subject. I'd have to say that it is better to say that civil war officers did not carry issued, or any commonly at all, boxes for spare cylinders. I'm sorry.
                            Last edited by 24thVOL; 01-04-2013, 03:49 PM.
                            Jonathan Siltman
                            24th Missouri Vol. Inf.
                            Bully Boys Mess
                            www.24thmissouri.org
                            Ft. Sill Museum Gun Crew

Comment

With reasoning such as that we should all have dead animal parts, wrist held percussion cap bands, and a host of other undocumented reenactorisms. While yes, this is a Civil War Living Historians forum, the word historian is still there. There are other such places were less scholarly discussion takes place freely, but the past intent, amd hopefully still today's intent,of the AC is for scholarly, documented discussion.
                              Dan Chmelar
                              Semper Fi
                              -ONV
                              -WIG
                              -CIR!

Comment

Working...
                              X