Officers Haversack

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Officers Haversack

For those of you who portray officers, do you carry a fancy officer's style haversack (as opposed to a regular haversack for your food)? Also, as a matter of opinion, what do you carry in your officers haversack: paper, pen, pipe/tobacco or cigars, drill manual, etc?

Also, who is a good quality maker of officers haversacks?

Thanks in advance and hopefully this makes sense (coffee hasn't fully kicked in yet:)).

Sincerely,
    Robert F. Wallace
    38th NCT (River Rat Mess)
    North State Rifles

"Do your duty in all things...for you can do no more and should never wish to do less." General Robert E. Lee

Re: Officers Haversack

I carry an officers haversack. As far as what goes in it will vary from person to person, but for me I try to limit what I put in there, becuase when I need something, I want to be able to find it quickly. Typically I will carry any orders that have been given to me, a small leather bound journal which I can use to take notes or write notes, and a pencil. Just my two cents.
    Micah Trent
    Tar Water Mess/Mess No. 1
    Friends of Perryville Battlefield State Historic Site

Comment

I carry just an officers haversack if I can help it made by Boyd Miles. I like it because it has a couple of pockets and the inside is divided so it helps keep food and other items separate. I have carried two this one and an enlisted just for food and cooking items depending on the event but prefer not too.

For what is in my officer haversack depends on the event and my impression (adjutant, company or battalion commander, etc.) but typically:
      -Roll up leather file filled with paperwork and red ribbon
      -Roll up writing kit with pen, ink, paper, pencils
      -The letter for my commission from the war department
      -Key to a field desk
      -A manual or regs depending on whether said field desk is at the event or I think I might need one
      -Candle and matches
      -Bound notebook which will have any orders for the event
      -Food, utensils, plate and cup possibly
      -If there is no food going into it and I might need them I have put a sash and gloves

I can’t think of anything else.
      Respectfully,

Jeremy Bevard
      Civil War Digital Digest
      Sally Port Mess

Comment

Originally posted by pvt_jb View Post
        -The letter for my commission from the war department
        Jeremy gets a sticker for this one!! How many of us who portray an officer have a commission letter on their person?
        John Wickett
        Former Carpetbagger
        Administrator (We got rules here! Be Nice - Sign Your Name - No Farbisms)

Comment

I carry an officer's havresack now. I have tried the Government issue which really answers for food alone.
          A food haversack would be carried by an orderly, from my readings and officers were generally on their own except when able to buy from the Commisariat.
          I have tried a couple of different officer's patterns. One made by myself which was actually quite good. It went west when loaned to another.
          The second I tried was an oilskin but not waterproof and soon rejected.
          I have just recently purchased a deluxe version from NJ******.
          This seems to be the answer. It is copied after an original from the Horse Soldier.
          It is leather and oilskin.
          Multiple compartments allow access to needed items.
          I am trying it with the following items;
          Hathway's writing kit complete, pens, ink, pencils, ruler, dividers for map study, pencil sharpener, writing paper and envelopes,
          Period box compass,
          Field glass,
          Notebook,
          Stadia,
          Tobacco tin,
          Pipe.
          Reports and return forms are carried in the main compartment next to the body.
          On the opposite flap pocket designed for rations, I carry 10 hard tack biscuits a bag of coffee and some raisins or dried apples.
          On the outer flap is a small pocket that mystified me for a while until I tried Ezra Barnhouse's personal light with six spare candles. It fit like a glove.
          Altogether a thorough kit and not too heavy. Everything is available and secure in a very elegant housing that is waterproof as well.
          Sorry no Commission scroll. Mine is too heavy and large and signed on behalf of the Queen.

Erik Simundson
          Erik Simundson

Comment

Originally posted by Erik View Post
            I carry an officer's havresack now. I have tried the Government issue which really answers for food alone.
            A food haversack would be carried by an orderly, from my readings and officers were generally on their own except when able to buy from the Commisariat.
            I have tried a couple of different officer's patterns. One made by myself which was actually quite good. It went west when loaned to another.
            The second I tried was an oilskin but not waterproof and soon rejected.
            I have just recently purchased a deluxe version from NJ******.
            This seems to be the answer. It is copied after an original from the Horse Soldier.
            It is leather and oilskin.
            Multiple compartments allow access to needed items.
            I am trying it with the following items;
            Hathway's writing kit complete, pens, ink, pencils, ruler, dividers for map study, pencil sharpener, writing paper and envelopes,
            Period box compass,
            Field glass,
            Notebook,
            Stadia,
            Tobacco tin,
            Pipe.
            Reports and return forms are carried in the main compartment next to the body.
            On the opposite flap pocket designed for rations, I carry 10 hard tack biscuits a bag of coffee and some raisins or dried apples.
            On the outer flap is a small pocket that mystified me for a while until I tried Ezra Barnhouse's personal light with six spare candles. It fit like a glove.
            Altogether a thorough kit and not too heavy. Everything is available and secure in a very elegant housing that is waterproof as well.
            Sorry no Commission scroll. Mine is too heavy and large and signed on behalf of the Queen.

Erik Simundson
            Erik,

Based on what NJ****** has on his site, is it the type "a" or "b"?

Thanks,
            Robert F. Wallace
            North State Rifles

"Do your duty in all things...for you can do no more and should never wish to do less." General Robert E. Lee

Comment

As with Jeremy, I carry one made by Boyd Miles and like it and use it for all of the same reasons listed. Although, I must admit to not carrying my letter of commission from the War Dept. Nice touch.

Mark
              J. Mark Choate
              7th TN. Cavalry, Co. D.

"Let history dictate our impressions.......not the other way around!"

Comment

My Rademacher officer haversack is way too small to carry a large array of items. However I do manage to carry a certificate of Mexican War Service so that I may qualify for the additional $ on payday. At my age I should qualify!
                Paul McKee

Comment

The havresack is the type "b".
                  It is elegant and serviceable.
                  Foggy memory tells me that I have seen the original in Gettysburg but I cannot place it.
                  The buckles are top notch and the workmanship is excellent.
                  I try not to carry my plate and cup or kfs in it as I use a Bartholomae mess kit on my Bartholomae canteen and a English mess kit attached to my knapsack.
                  I hope that this is helpful.
                  I may discard items as they bang against my hip but think this will be of service less a field desk and my modest mess kit.

Erik Simundson
                  Kit Hound mess or as I was called "a military tourist".
                  Erik Simundson

Comment

Originally posted by Erik View Post
                    The havresack is the type "b".
                    It is elegant and serviceable.
                    Foggy memory tells me that I have seen the original in Gettysburg but I cannot place it.
                    The buckles are top notch and the workmanship is excellent.
                    I try not to carry my plate and cup or kfs in it as I use a Bartholomae mess kit on my Bartholomae canteen and a English mess kit attached to my knapsack.
                    I hope that this is helpful.
                    I may discard items as they bang against my hip but think this will be of service less a field desk and my modest mess kit.

Erik Simundson
                    Kit Hound mess or as I was called "a military tourist".
                    Erik,

That would have been my guess based on the ones seen on his website compared with your description (specifically the pocket on the outside of the flap).

Thanks,
                    Last edited by robwall1861; 01-17-2013, 09:07 PM. Reason: Spelling and additional text
                    Robert F. Wallace
                    North State Rifles

Comment

Looking at the havresack some of the directions are changed. The food bag is fitted with removable bag. This lies closest to the body for rations.
                      The pouches are set on this. The outer bag on the flap is for documents and note books with a tied tape closure. Despite my navigation this is a superior bag worth every penney.

Erik Simundson
                      Erik Simundson

Comment

Erik,

It is indeed a VERY nice bag:)....and if I do become an officer one day, I shall purchase one from him. I have an Federal Doublebag Knapsack from him that I got back in '99 and it is still going strong (despite some wear and tear from use:)).

Thanks,
                        Robert F. Wallace
                        North State Rifles

Comment

Offers haversack? Taken July 1863 in Hagerstown, MD, while the 63rd was on their way to Gettysburg.

[FONT="Book Antiqua"]"Grumpy" Dave Towsen
                          Past President Potomac Legion
                          Long time member Columbia Rifles
                          Who will care for Mother now?[/FONT]

Comment

You have probably got it right for the majority of officers in the 1863 events. Survival would be the model.
                            The original thread was answered in the private purchase mode.
                            Patent or private purchase haversacks answered a need but soon a need for rations took place and your picture illustrates that clearly.
                            I am sure that there are variations up and down from this in the letters and books published and each officer must make his choices while remembering that the paperwork never goes away.

Erik Simundson
                            Erik Simundson

Comment

What will be found in my haversack depends upon whether I have my field desk with me in camp. My desk is a replica of an original style that can be found at Harpers Ferry and Stone Mountain, and it serves me well when it is available. When our unit is on the march, however, it gets down to essentials. The haversack itself is a well-worn federal issue tarred specimen – nothing fancy. Its contents will include a copy of Army Regulations, which over the years has helped answer questions that arise as well as provide the information prescribed for forms when printed forms are not available and hand-made ones need to be created. For some events, such as national encampments or when rain is not likely, the regulations manual will be an original copy. For writing there will be steel-nibbed pens, an ink container and some ink packets, a couple pencils and a pencil eraser. For paper I have some acid free stock that is very similar to paper used for most federal forms and civilian envelopes and stationery in my collection. At times I will use 150-year old paper from some old adjutant-general’s books that was frequently used by the Confederate Army. My order book is a replica of an original found at the National Archives that came from Confederate General Whiting’s headquarters during the spring of 1862. In my leather letter pouch I keep a few sheets of writing paper as well as a couple envelopes that contained correspondence from the War Department to our regimental headquarters. The envelopes are kept for making notes, etc. because of the acute shortage of paper that usually existed in the Confederate Army. Also in the pouch is my officer’s appointment letter from the War Department and a letter from home as well as a couple authentic envelopes and postage stamps for mailing letters home. Other items that can be found are a couple candles with matches, my pocket knife, a harmonica, a Jew’s Harp, a tintype of my infant daughter secured in a gutta-percha case, and my housewife. For some events I will stow printed morning report forms (reproduced from originals at the National Archives) for companies and battalions while at other events I will use scissors (dated 1794) and a folding ruler (dated pre-war) to create hand-made forms. My wallet is also in there with some Confederate currency. I utilize a separate haversack for my rations and eating utensils.

Tom Williams
                              First Lieutenant and A.A.G.
                              4th Virginia Infantry
                              Indianapolis
                              Tom Williams

Comment

Working...
                              X