Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questions on the Landy Lindsey "Army Blanket Overcoat"

Hello all,

I have been doing some looking into overcoats and greatcoats used during the war. I ran across some references to the Army Blanket overcoat. After doing more research here and on Google I ran across the article by Mark Jaeger and Cathy Gurley. I have decided to try my hand at making one of these overcoats, but wanted some input before I get started. Has anyone made one of these coats? It appears there are some discrepancies in the original drawing and written directions. What did you have to adjust, change, etc to make the design work out? Is there a new "updated" design to address any problems? Any other suggestions as to what blanket, materials, buttons, etc? Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance,
    Hunter DeBruhl
    25th NCT/ 14th IA
    Carolina Legion
    Member, Civil War Trust

Re: Questions on the Landy Lindsey "Army Blanket Overcoat"

how about you make one out of a cheap sheet and work out discrepancies on that? Since this a "field made" expediency I doubt there is anything definitive on it

Comment

use the same size as called for.making it out of a sheet is a good idea.
      Ronnie Tucker,
      Chief of Scouts
      7th TN. Cavalry, Co. D

Comment

Is this the blanket coat that looks like a blanket wrapped around with a draw string?? Can you post a photo?? plm
        Save me a place at the fire,

Paul L Muller

Comment

I found this pdf some time ago.

Army Blanket Coat.pdf
          Galen Wagner
          Mobile, AL

Duty is, then, the sublimest word in our language.Do your duty in all things. You cannot do more. You should never wish to do less. -Col. Robert E.Lee, Superintendent of USMA West Point, 1852

Comment

Comment

Thanks for the PDF links. I had run across the same article and in turn decided to try to make one myself. I had not thought of using an old sheet to make a mock-up coat. I will use a sheet first for sure! When I get time to make the final coat I will post pics if I can (still have new user limitations). If anyone else has suggestions in the mean time please let me know.

Thanks again for your help,
              Hunter DeBruhl
              25th NCT/ 14th IA
              Carolina Legion
              Member, Civil War Trust

Comment

Working...
              X