Gentlemen's Emporium

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gentlemen's Emporium

Sorry. I'm not sure if this is the right place for this or not. I got asked about them and seem to remember it being covered here once, but just wanted to see if anybody has ever dealt with them or know of them

Historical Emporium, Authentic Victorian Clothing. We carry Frock Coats, Town Coats, Tail Coats, Morning Coats, Top Hats, Waistcoats, Cravats, Victorian Dresses, Blouses, Parasols, and Victorian Theater costumes. Historical Emporium - Authentic Period Clothing for Men and Women. Serving living history, theater, movie and TV production customers since 2003. Five star ratings from thousands of customers. How may we serve you?

Re: Gentlemen's Emporium

ummm, I think I already answered my own question.

Comment

It would be my opinion to stear clear of them in terms of clothing. A quote from their catalog:

"These versatile dress pants are similar to those worn by bankers and merchants during the 1860's. The historic styling is complimented by the Polyester/Wool fabric which makes them comfortable year round. Comes with all the standard Wahmaker amenities: button fly, two front pockets, two back pockets, adjustable back and suspender buttons"

There have been examples of trousers from this period which exhibit back pockets, but I would probably not class them as being common, and I would never say that they were "standard amenities" in civilian wear.

Their frock coats exhibit exterior pockets, which in my experience is a detail that is not seen on existing frock coats (with the exception of a welt pocket in the upper left breast as seen in some examples).

I haven't really seen any of their garments in person, but judging from their descriptions of them and their photographs, I would say you would do better to go elsewhere. If you are in the market for quality, authentic men's civilian items I recommend contacting Corner Clothiers ( www.cornerclothiers.com )
      Brian Koenig
      SGLHA
      Hedgesville Blues

Comment

Wahmaker brand clothing is far more suited to the Cowboy Shoot/fantasy Old West sort of thing than to the CW period.

A number of years ago, I purchased such an outfit and persuaded my non-reenacting husband to drive me to a civilian event up north. He very quietly surveyed the crowd as we checked in, and said, "you know, my clothes don't look a bit like those people, I think I'll just put on my shorts and head for that little boat landing a few miles down the road......."

The Wahmaker outfit hung in the back of our family costume closet for a few years, and disappeared a while back, along with a bad zouave dress, a polyester artillery jacket, and some sort of Viking getup, when Daughter outfitted friends for a Halloween Party.
        Terre Hood Biederman
        Yassir, I used to be Mrs. Lawson. I still run period dyepots, knit stuff, and cause trouble.

sigpic
        Wearing Grossly Out of Fashion Clothing Since 1958.

ADVENTURE CALLS. Can you hear it? Come ON.

Comment

Thats what I was thinking. I saw the $10 wool kepi. thnx

Brian,
          Got it. Headed there saturday for some buttons.

Comment

This guy does some mainstream events around these parts. His clothes are not good, but he does have some interesting little items. He has lots of period clay pipes and occasionally has actual artifacts for sale, notably little knick knacks and buttons. He is also a purveyor of complete trash as well. Plenty of kids tin whistles, rebel flag umbrellas and whore house tokens. Be very wary. I think he had some decent snuff boxes recently.
            Ben Thomas
            14th Alabama Volunteer Infantry, Co. G
            "The Hilliby True Blues"

The Possum Skinners Mess

"Non gratis anus opossum"

Comment

NOw see thats kinda what I was wondering. If maybe there was an acorn in there somewhere

Comment

I browsed this sight lastnight, and I did like a few little odds and ends, like the pens and writting excessories. That was about it. Even those I found overpriced and not that great.
                Robert Johnson

"Them fellers out thar you ar goin up against, ain't none of the blue-bellied, white-livered Yanks and sassidge-eatin'forrin' hirelin's you have in Virginny that run atthe snap of a cap - they're Western fellers, an' they'll mighty quick give you a bellyful o' fightin."

In memory of: William Garry Co.H 5th USCC KIA 10/2/64 Saltville VA.

Comment

Originally posted by DonSmithnotTMD
                  Sorry. I'm not sure if this is the right place for this or not. I got asked about them and seem to remember it being covered here once, but just wanted to see if anybody has ever dealt with them or know of them
                  Saw them in the field at Old Washington, Arkansas back last November. They carry nothing for the poor soldier, and damned little for the civilian that's worth a counterfeit shinplaster.

Sadly, they were the only vendor at the event :angry_smi

Avoid.

Tom
                  Tom Ezell

Comment

I can vouch that their website doesn't look very good. However, their tent at events can hide some real gems, I picked up a nice period pipe and a splendid pocket knife, our Captain picked up an original Provost Badge and I believe he was able to authenticate it. Met a CSA man who picked up a used CJ Daley Sack coat that he was happy as punch with.

He doesn't really target the Progressive/Authentic crowd targetting the spectators and the mainstream crowd... I understand he doesn't change his tent or wares for SASS events he attends.

I don't think we'll be seeing him at too many events in the future; he was robbed at Mason City last year and ended up loosing three days worth of sales.
                    Johan Steele aka Shane Christen C Co, 3rd MN VI
                    SUVCW Camp 48
                    American Legion Post 352
                    [url]http://civilwartalk.com[/url]

Comment

Working...
                    X