Common Spices

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Common Spices

Does anyone know of any common dry spices that would have been around during the war? Salt, pepper and spices are all I could find looking over recipes, but what else was common to see in a kitchen or haversack?

Many thanks!
    Andrew Gale

21st Arkansas Vol. Inf. Co. H
    Company H, McRae's Arkansas Infantry
    Affiliated Conscripts Mess

Cpl. George Washington Pennington, 171st Penn. Co. K
    Mustered into service: Aug. 27, 1862
    Captured: Spottsylvania Court House, Virginia, May 12, 1864
    Died: Andersonville Prison, Georgia, Sept. 13, 1864
    sigpic

Re: Common Spices

Last season I explored period recipes to compose a period menu for four meals. The spices that were called for in the recipes used included: sage, marjoram, mace, nutmeg, cinnamon, parsley, basil, lemon peel, orange peel, lemon zest, orange zest, cayenne pepper, cloves, ginger, mustard.

The recipes were published between 1803 and 1854... in other words, when women of 186x were learning their go-to recipes.

The most common spices in a spice tin were pepper, mustard, clove, mace, and nutmeg. If your tin would take seven, add cinnamon, ginger, or cayenne pepper.

The most common condiments on a table were salt, black pepper, red pepper, sweet (or olive) oil, table vinegar (usually lightly flavored with herbs), and a soybean-fish sauce (termed "soy" sauce because of the soybeans, try Asian markets for "oyster" sauce with soybeans in the ingredient list). These were served in a matched set of specialty glass containers called "casters". The emerging glassware and plate silver industries, as well as the expanding spice trade markets, made caster sets available to even middle (professional and merchant) class households.
    Last edited by Elaine Kessinger; 02-09-2013, 09:08 AM.
    -Elaine "Ivy Wolf" Kessinger

Comment

Thank you very much! That's exactly what I was looking for!
      Andrew Gale

Company H, McRae's Arkansas Infantry

Cpl. George Washington Pennington, 171st Penn. Co. K
      Mustered into service: Aug. 27, 1862
      Captured: Spottsylvania Court House, Virginia, May 12, 1864
      Died: Andersonville Prison, Georgia, Sept. 13, 1864
      sigpic

Comment

I have seen direct reference in letter collections of request from soldiers for cayenne pepper, curry,allspice, cinnamon, nutmeg, pepper, and even a request for a 50-50 mix of curry and cayenne.
        Leland Hares, 10th Tennessee (U.S.)

Comment

Elaine,
          Thanks for a great response. I was always wondering what would be correct spices and condiments to carry and add to cook with in the field. I look some up because I wasn't sure what there were and see that many are harvested around the world. The spice trade must have really been wide spread at the time. My question would be how would these spices come to the house or the troops. In other words, would the cloves be the flowers or already ground? Would basil be in the leaf or ground up? Same with pepper etc.
          Rob Bruno
          1st MD Cav
          http://1stmarylandcavalry.com

Comment

Anyone recall the name of the lady who was a vendor selling period spices &c? She had pretty good products and documentation of them, there were like around 50 spices she sold for both CW and Rev. War periods.
            Jason C. Spellman
            Skillygalee Mess

"Those fine fellows in Virginia are pouring out their heart's blood like water. Virginia will be heroic dust--the army of glorious youth that has been buried there."--Mary Chesnut

Comment

First you need to learn to cook Rob!

Comment

Proper seasoning can make all the difference between a bland chunk of meat and a course fit for royalty. We decided to dig through a collection of 18th and early 19th century cookbooks to see which…

Comment

Jason there is Deborahs Pantry that sells spices that work for both. She currently is retired and the shop and site are in transition of changing hands, they're suppose to be up and running again this month. But she had a plethora of correct spices in their raw or ground form.
                  Tim Wicks
                  Cane Hill College Mess, Company H, McRae's Arkansas Infantry

Comment

Christopher, the way you cooked bacon at McDowell, you are right! I better learn to cook!
                    Rob Bruno
                    1st MD Cav
                    http://1stmarylandcavalry.com

Comment

Andrew-

Just a question for discussion clairification, are you talking about what were common spices of the day in-general OR what a civilan pantry and military haversack might both carry? Good discussion, just want to get as much out of it for the forum members with some clarification as to what knowledge you seek.
                      Johnny Lloyd
                      John "Johnny" Lloyd
                      Think before you post... Rules on this forum here
                      SCAR
                      Known to associate with the following fine groups: WIG/AG/CR

"Without history, there can be no research standards.
                      Without research standards, there can be no authenticity.
                      Without the attempt at authenticity, all is just a fantasy.
                      Fantasy is not history nor heritage, because it never really existed." -Me

Proud descendant of...

Comment

Rob, I cooked that bacon for about 4 hours! Not on me!

Comment

Originally posted by Rammstein142 View Post
                          Jason there is Deborahs Pantry that sells spices that work for both. She currently is retired and the shop and site are in transition of changing hands, they're suppose to be up and running again this month. But she had a plethora of correct spices in their raw or ground form.
                          That's her, thank you. Too bad the shop is undergoing changes but hopefully for the better!
                          Jason C. Spellman
                          Skillygalee Mess

"Those fine fellows in Virginia are pouring out their heart's blood like water. Virginia will be heroic dust--the army of glorious youth that has been buried there."--Mary Chesnut

Comment

Wait... further clarification of the situation these spices will be used in is needed to direct further responses.

Are you asking...

...Which spices are used in civilian cooking... so your food items are correctly spiced.
                            ..or..
                            ...Which spices are used in civilian cooking and how are they packaged... so you can show spices acquired from a civilian home or store.
                            ...or...
                            ...Which spices are used in military mess cooking and how are they packaged... so your camp food is spiced correctly and your mess can use spices without worrying over modern packaging.
                            ...or...
                            ...Which spices did the common soldier carry in his haversack and how were they packaged... because your camp food is bland and you seem to be the only one compelled to do anything about it. (...if this is the question then you'll need to specify which army, at what point in the conflict...and it will vary by growing/harvesting season and geographic nearness to trade routes/import houses)

Do you want herbs and flavorings too or only "spices"?

I really don't mean to be confrontational... it's terrific you are even asking... I just want your actual question answered instead of us going off on tangents based on what we think you are asking.
                            -Elaine "Ivy Wolf" Kessinger

Comment

Agreed with what Elaine was asking- good question, but needs focus...
                              Johnny Lloyd
                              John "Johnny" Lloyd
                              Think before you post... Rules on this forum here
                              SCAR
                              Known to associate with the following fine groups: WIG/AG/CR

"Without history, there can be no research standards.
                              Without research standards, there can be no authenticity.
                              Without the attempt at authenticity, all is just a fantasy.
                              Fantasy is not history nor heritage, because it never really existed." -Me

Proud descendant of...

Comment

Working...
                              X