undershirt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• undershirt

I was reading a book and there is a quote where one of the soldiers is describing the clothing they were issued and he mentions being issued one undershirt. What is this item? How is it different from the regular shirt? What were they made of? Was it common to wear them like today? Any help or direction pointing would be appreciated. Thanks

Nathan Collins
    Nathanial Collins
    1st New York Volunteer Engineer Regiment
    Blue Grass Mess

Re: undershirt

I know the info is out there somewhere. BUt I gotta ask: Federal or Confederate? You never specified. I've read more about civilian ones, but can't imagine they'd differ much. Corner Clothiers sells one based on an original, made of lighter, white cotton. Very simple garment, similar to the issue shirt actually, sans collar, with more of a 3/4 length sleeve, no buttons, no cuff, just turned under, hemmed edge. If I recall, the bottom edge of the shirt is the selvedge. I have two undershirts, a red flannel one from aforementioned Corner Clothiers and a white knit one from the guy in NJ, love em both but can say I've favored the red flannel one more, even wearing it as my only shirt.

Again, there is info out there. I did a quick search on here, but didn't turn up the topic of a Federal issued undershirt. Give it a try yourself though. Federal troops were issued drawers as well. I can find the resource easy if you'd like that states that some PA troops only took one pair of the two they could get per year due to it being summer upon them receiving them. Helped the QM out when getting supplies up for the next batch of volunteers needing clothing! Most likely these were the canton flannel typical of issue drawers. I'd still think if it is an undershirt as we understand them today they were a plain weave, white cotton with the features noted above.

Edit: Welp, then there's this info - http://www.authentic-campaigner.com/...sue+undershirt Brings up the valid idea of "under shirt" being the one shirt you're wearing/issued, not an additi
    Best,
    Last edited by Mutt; 02-09-2013, 10:51 PM. Reason: additional info
    [SIZE="3"][FONT="Century Gothic"]Matt Mickletz[/FONT][/SIZE]

[SIZE=4][SIZE=3][/SIZE][FONT=Garamond][COLOR="#800000"][/COLOR][I]Liberty Rifles[/I][/FONT][/SIZE]

Comment

It was for federal troops. But thanks that helps a lot.

Nathan Collins
      Nathanial Collins
      1st New York Volunteer Engineer Regiment
      Blue Grass Mess

Comment

Maybe his regimental commander bought the regiment an issue of undershirts because he knew how rough the issued shirts were?That's all I can think of.If you can,check the regimental,brigade,and division quartermaster records from the time,if you can find them.That may help give a description of the clothing,and see if anyone else reports receiveing them.
        Cullen Smith
        South Union Guard

"Always carry a flagon of whiskey in case of snakebite, and furthermore always carry a small snake"~W.C. Fields

"When I drink whiskey, I drink whiskey; and when I drink water, I drink water."~Michaleen Flynn [I]The Quiet Man[/I]

Comment

OK, so here's the info I mentioned that was "somewhere" . . . I turn, yet again, to the Report of the Heads of Departments to the Governor of PA - 1861: http://books.google.com/books?id=_Rz...shirts&f=false
          It notes BOTH undershirts and flannel shirts being issued. From the numbers issued, I can't see everyone getting an undershirt though. They favor "Issues not including 3 mos. troops", I'm assuming these are troops signed up for longer as the 3 mos. troops weren't issued any undershirts according to the numbers, in 1861.

Best,
          [SIZE="3"][FONT="Century Gothic"]Matt Mickletz[/FONT][/SIZE]

[SIZE=4][SIZE=3][/SIZE][FONT=Garamond][COLOR="#800000"][/COLOR][I]Liberty Rifles[/I][/FONT][/SIZE]

Comment

Working...
          X